Problems with speer 52 gr. hp

Kevin Neal

Had several of these and was trying to work up a load for my Savage 11 predator I just bought. At 50 yards using 25 gr. of Varget I am getting around a .400" 5 shot group. when I move back to 100 yards, I can't keep group under 1.5". Has anyone else had a problem with these at longer distances? Would love to try these. I have read several times about how fur friendly this bullet is. These are the ones with the large hollow point.

Last edited:
Your load is probably too light. I am shooting 27g of benchmark with a 55g and a cci 450 was the most accurate. Seat the bullet close to the lands.

Last edited:
You didn't say what cartridge you are shooting. 223,22-250??? that will have a lot of to do how your shooting.

Try varying the seating depth. I would try a different powder also. The Speer's have always shot good out of my 222's .223's and 22-250's. Only time I ever shot them in close was on groundhogs and the blew a pretty good hole. They make crows red mist also. Good luck on your search. They are good bullets.

I bought a thousand on the recommendation of members on here.

26 inch savage model 10 and 12 shots 26.2 imr8208xbr w cci450 at .8 and .9 at 200 yards first time out past 100 to verify for prairie dogs.

Not as accurate as some of my other loads but this was with very minimal work up.

Varget is slow for a light bullet, try H322 if you HAVE to have an extreme powder. I shot them with Win 748(27.5g), H335(26g), and ~23.5g-24.5g of H322, and I always used Rem 7 1/2 primers.

It is very important to seat to just barely touch the lands or no more than .005 off the lands for the best accuracy.

In my rifles, they are extremely accurate. I shot a 20 lb keg of IMR 4198 up with these in the late 70's on dog towns in various 222's. 4198 is not the best powder for this bullet in a 223.

Last edited:
Tried some 8208 xbr this morning and with 23 gr. will shoot .5 moa. Can anyone tell me around about what the speed would be on the load? For some reason my chrony died on me this morning. I am shooting this out of a 22" barrel.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman...try H322 if you HAVE to have an extreme powder. I shot them with Win 748(27.5g), H335(26g), and ~23.5g-24.5g of H322, and I always used Rem 7 1/2 primers.

It is very important to seat to just barely touch the lands or no more than .005 off the lands for the best accuracy.

I actually bought H322 and H335 and Rem 7 1/2 for loading this bullet and other lighter bullets in my 18" 1:8 twist .223/5.56 Wylde AR. Would your recommendation regarding seating close to the lands change at all for a Wylde chamber?

PS I enjoy reading all the reloading knowledge you share on here
thumbup1.gif

X-terminator or Accurate 2230 (exact same powder) gives me sub 1/2 moa in my 1-9 twist with these bullets & very good velocity.
Jim D

Last edited:
my manual shows 23 gr as a starting load for 8208 xbr. Seems this rifle likes the lower weights of powder. I will sacrifice some speed anyday for accuracy.

Originally Posted By: Kevin Nealmy manual shows 23 gr as a starting load for 8208 xbr. Seems this rifle likes the lower weights of powder. I will sacrifice some speed anyday for accuracy.

Maybe on one powder or two, then the next two may like a max load.

You stated that you were getting 3000 fps, that is very, very slow. You should be up in the 3200-3300 in the very least.

I never start out at a minimum load, but instead about 2.0g-2.5g below a book max load and work up in .5g increments. This is where the accuracy loads seem to be the most consistent day in and day out, and accuracy trumps all in my book. It is not unusual to find several accuracy nodes from minimum to max load, often 3, but the most consistent will be very close to a max load, which will be some trial and error with various powders.

In a 223, H322 with a 50-55g bullet is always pay dirt along with H4895. If you want great speed with a 52 with super accuracy, H335, AA2230, Benchmark with a cci 450, and N-133 will all work in spades.

Originally Posted By: Kevin Nealmy manual shows 23 gr as a starting load for 8208 xbr. Seems this rifle likes the lower weights of powder. I will sacrifice some speed anyday for accuracy.

Every rifle I ever loaded for had 2 accuracy nodes. One high and one low. I would keep pouring on the gas and see where it takes you.

May be I need to clarify. I am trying to work up a fur friendly load using this bullet. My average shot around here is usually no longer than 200 yards so I am wanting to keep my speed down around 3000 fps so my rounds can be as fur friendly as possible. I am not new to the reloading game as I have been doing it for many years but I reload for accuracy not speed. Seems most people think that they have try and get as much speed as they can out of a load to be happy with it but as Bill Scott, who was the founder of Scott Archery, once told me when I shot 3d archery with him "A slow hit beats a fast miss any day". In most of my rifles, I have found out that they shoot best with the lower half of the recommended powder weights for that bullet or caliber. In the Savage that I am shooting here, I did start in creasing the powder weight and as I increased, so did the size of my groups all the way up to max load. However I did start messing with bullet seating depth and that has closed my groups up alot. I am very satisfied with 3000 fps just wanted better accuracy.

I have found those bullets to be very good out of a 22-250 at 3600. So run them as hot as you can out of the 223. If they are not fur friendly at 223 velocity,the 50 gr Hornday sx is great out of the 223. I think you will be better off performance wise at 3300 and above then 3000, those Speer bullets are tough enough not to splash but you want them to come apart inside the coyote to avoid exit wounds.

Kevin, you need to listen to folks with experience on this board. You have some preconceived notions that are just wrong.

I am getting out of this conversation.

Im sorry if I offended you ackleyman but the problem I was having was not with the powder charge but the bullet seating depth. Seated bullet deeper and now getting better groups. However, raising the powder charge also opens up the groups.By the way thanks to the guys who reminded me about seating depth. I wasn't thinking. As far as varget in a 223, a search online will show that varget is recommended by several people for use in a 223. Once again I am sorry if I ruffled your feathers. Also once again thanks to the guys that `recommended checking the seating depth.

Varget is used in a .223 quite a bit, but with heavier bullets. They are just trying to steer you towards powders that are better for the weight you are shooting.

Back