aluminum suppressors?

songdog

Friend of mine found some cheap suppressors that are made out of aluminum. I told him to do some research because in my mind aluminum won't hold up over time and thousands of rifle blasts, but maybe my way of thinking is off? Will aluminum hold up over time? Seems like it would simply eat away shot after shot from muzzle blast. Won't it? Anyone have experience with aluminum suppressors?

Last edited:
Good for Rim as stated, I would think that centerfire would break them down the baffles pretty quick. In Europe they make a lot of them out of Aluminum. But you can buy them over the counter there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: songdogFriend of mine found some cheap suppressors that are made out of aluminum. I told him to do some research because in my mind aluminum won't hold up over time and thousands of rifle blasts, but maybe my way of thinking is off? Will aluminum hold up over time? Seems like it would simply eat away shot after shot from muzzle blast. Won't it? Anyone have experience with aluminum suppressors?

Wait until the HPA passes, there will be an influx of cheap cans... The price will be so cheap for most, they will become disposable.

you can use an aluminum tube for some suppressor designs (form 1 flashlight suppressors for example) however, the internals on them are not aluminum - the're using steel freeze plugs for the baffles and often a peice of stainless in liew of a blast chamber.

even some of the solvent trap builds have aluminum outers, but same deal - aluminium outside, but not the internals.

and these types of cans are not rated for all guns... ie: you cant run an aluminum can on a magnum rifle. and some are only suitable for pistol or subsonic rifle calibers.

i have an all aluminum rimfire suppressor (Gen 1 Sparrow) and it works great, and is rated for magnum rimfire - but thats it. besides the usage limitations on a suppressor like this, there are also cleaning restrictions (you cant use "the dip" etc).

as of this point - suppressors are still essentially a lifetime purchase due to the stamp process currently in place as NFA law surrounding them, so for centerfire use you'd want to just shy away from them in general. save up a few more $$ and get a better unit than the aluminum stuff.

Well, its likely just like aluminum engine blocks. They're relatively light, they support a ton of horsepower, and they all have steel cylinder sleeves.

The steel is what actually contains the pressure, the aluminum is just holding it together.

That Rebel rig looks interesting and seem to be priced fairly. If the hearing protection act passes they are somebody that I would look at. I simply refuse to pay the $200 stamp fee and then pay what I truly believe are grossly over inflated prices being charged by current manufacturers. The day that law passes the bottom will drop on suppressor pricing and fair market values will take effect. From what I read high quality cans are selling in New Zealand and elsewhere for $300 (U.S.) in mag calibers and about $150 for rimfire. Time will tell!

Back