3 Dog Night w/ Coyote Saga!

bhw

Gang,

I had a 3 dog night, but it wasn't without a true coyote saga....

Earlier in the day, I had a request to call a certain area because a coyote had chased a lady as she walked her dog. My plan was to target that coyote late at night. First,I had to target some frisky fox as the season is winding down. On the first set, I called in a red fox double and made two sweet shots on them. They were numbers 28 & 29 on my slow starting season and now I only had 1 fox to go for my goal of 30.

Well, four more farms and I could not even see an eye. At this point, the wind had picked up and I was getting hungry. In fact, I was craving popcorn... big time! That was all I could think about... going home and eating popcorn! I even texted my wife and put in the request to have her make a batch for when I came home. At midnight,I was ready to pack it in, when it dawned on me that I had not gone after the nuisance coyote. The popcorn would have to wait!

Off I went after the coyote. I emitted three minutes of Baybee Cottontail, but switched to Devil Hare to cut through the wind better. After only a minute, I saw the coyote enter the field across from me. The coyote simply stood there, looking regal. He was facing directly at me, but was looking every which way but toward me. Although I wanted a broadside shot, I elected to take the frontal shot at 150 yards! The "Whack'" sound indicated a hit. The coyote hit the ground and began to spin wildly. Then, it up righted itself and ran back into the thicket.

I went over to investigate, but saw nothing. My heart sank. Then, it began to snow. I walked out determined to find the coyote. However,my next chance to do so would be Saturday morning after the Final Fling check-in. Dejected, I went home. No popcorn was waiting for me, so I took a few pics of my fox double and climbed into bed. It was 1:30 AM.

I awoke at 6:00 AM and texted my buddy to tell him about the coyote. He knew I couldn't look for it,so he sent two of his friends to do so. Talk about finding a needle in a haystack?

A few hours later, my buddy texted me a picture of the coyote. They had found it saying the could not believe that the coyote made it as far into the thicket as it did. The wound was enormous!

During a planning period at school, I raced to his house to inspect the coyote and then home for a quick photo shoot!

0f976a9ec0a965682a3982c8e7c2d6d8_zpsm2czehpz.jpg

9781f8fdf16ed8a8489aede9ae77e45b_zpssyhsxvg2.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Back