What Thermal Next?

R15 Predator

For the purposes of this discussion, let's eliminate Flir. Had the 32 and the 64 scanner and the 64 scope. They are way, way behind as of now.

I have IR Patrol scanner and scope. The scope is the 2.5X I would like more magnification. What would you get and why?

Yep. Have the Hunter MKIII 60mm. Within 100yds or so absolute ID is usually the case. I've not
viewed a coyote thru it at anymore than 135yds where ID was also great.
Thermal will probably get better however this Hunter is darn clear.

I apologize for the hijack, but what would you say is the fov on the Mark III at 100 yards?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SledgeI apologize for the hijack, but what would you say is the fov on the Mark III at 100 yards?

My calculations put it around 37' but I will be interested to hear from those who know vs my guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weekenderOriginally Posted By: SledgeI apologize for the hijack, but what would you say is the fov on the Mark III at 100 yards?

My calculations put it around 37' but I will be interested to here from those who know vs my guess.

Looks good to me. The TNVC website shows HFOV is 7deg for the MKIII.
Tan (7/2) = x/100 where x = 1/2HFOV. 2x = 12.2 yards or about 37 feet.

Originally Posted By: SledgeI apologize for the hijack, but what would you say is the fov on the Mark III at 100 yards?

It is exactly the same as an ACOG.

Just remember the Reap has toggle control, the IR Mark 3 has old school turrant knobs for control, when the yotes or hogs are running around out in front and you have to do a NUC, then a zoom in for a shot, I have found the knobs to be easier to use for me (however I have never used the toggle). My TECH CONSULTANT has both, but he cautioned me about this issue, and I am glad he did.
See which unit works best for your personal preference, some guys like the toggle control better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorWhat is the advantage of the Reap? I am leaning toward the IR MK III 60

Having ran both, IMHO a big advantage is the size of the REAP, it's flat out nasty, but then again so is the MKIII 60mm, both are probably the best units I've used, along with the M250XR for scanning.
We've killed quite a few coyotes now with the MKIII 60mm and can honestly say, you can't go wrong with it, especially for longer range work.

Here is a still shot of a video we took lastnight, be sure and note this is in very high humidity 80+% with the MKIII 60, and it still hammers through the density quite well, as you can clearly see this pair coming in from 350 yards, and the trees to the south of them about 1-1.5 miles away.

killbox%20duo_zpsfwdl5xez.jpg

VERY hard to go wrong with the REAP-IR. For long range spotting I also use the Patrol XR and with it's objective focus, it's truly the best long range hand held un-cooled thermal I have used.

Tom over at NGI did this behind the EP of the XR. Simply stunning. (Make sure to select HD while viewing)

Ok I am more confused than ever and their website leaves a bit to be desired.

I have a MKIII 2.5X that I like.
I have 2 IR Patrols for scanning. They are both weapon mountable but never have been.
What is the M250XR?
Is the REAP as good as the MK III 4.5X? I want more magnification for longer shots. Digital zoom kinda sucks.

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorOk I am more confused than ever and their website leaves a bit to be desired.

What is the M250XR?
Is the REAP as good as the MK III 4.5X? I want more magnification for longer shots. Digital zoom kinda sucks.

The M250XR is a nasty biotch, basically the M250 Patrol with a 60mm germanium, best I've used for extreme LR scanning, the focus ring is smooth as silk, You can see coyotes over a mile easily.
I would say the REAP has the clarity the MKIII has, and works alright for a helmet mounted scanner also. I prefer the MKIII for a designated weapon sight though.

Here's a shot with the M250XR, Coyotes are 300yds from where this video was taken, and 250yds from the shooters.
bluedownrange_zpskb8a94uc.jpg

I'm confused too, R15 Predator. You're looking for a scope not a spotter, correct? If so, disregard the M250XR. It has no reticle. Spotter only.

The IR Hunter MKIII 60mm is the best long-range scope on the civilian market right now.

I run a ir defense mark lll 60mm on my rifle and a ir defense mark ll 35mm to scan with. The reason I went with the Mark ll for scanning is I can scan with it and put it on a secondary gun when I go with a buddy. I wanted a top notch scanner that I could use as a rifle sight also.

Back