Ruger American feeding issue. AGAIN

Lodgepole

Ruger was good and sent me 2 new magazines for mt Lefty 243. Of the 3 on hand at that time one worked great. Now it's cold and I'm packing it for Wolves . Now it is hit or miss again ! Is there a metal magazine for these ? I really don't know what to do . Any suggestions outside of selling it .

There are some youtube videos on how to increase the spring pressure in the magazine. You didn't state what the issue was, but in most it is failing to push the 3rd or 4th round up high enough for the bolt to catch it. Increasing the pressure will fix that and it is an easy fix.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Lodgepole Any suggestions outside of selling it .

get a tikka.

Lol, ya right. Wouldn't trade my RAR's for any tikka.

There are no issues with any of the 4 mags I have, but light spring tension seems to be the main complaint. Popping off the back of the mag and adding a turn fixes that and takes all of about 60 seconds to do.

there are 2 different styles of mags, one has a silver paddle and one has a black paddle, the silver paddle is easy to adjust tension on, and the black paddle, not so easy. there are also different short action mags, some have a shorter paddle and the other has a longer paddle. my 6.5 mags are different than my 243 mags and my 22 250 different yet again

Originally Posted By: brdeanoOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Lodgepole Any suggestions outside of selling it .

get a tikka.

Lol, ya right. Wouldn't trade my RAR's for any tikka.

that is just because you do not know any better. someday you shall see the light.
tongue_smilie.gif

The bolt is picking up the cartridge and as it moves forward the bullet gets stuck on the back of the barrel below the chamber. Apparently the cartridge is not high enough in the front to go in the chamber and is just stopped when the bullet meets the barrel which is flat on the back. I have 3 magazines for it and they are all the ones with the plastic paddles. In a word they are all inconsistent,just enough of Murphy's Law to cause you miss a chance at Mr Wolf.

My .22-250 does that. I attribute it to the fact that the .22-250 case is shorter and has a lot of case taper. I have meant to call Ruger and ask for a fix, but have been busy. This post reminds me to call tomorrow. I also have a Savage 11 short action that does that with a .250 Savage case. Same situation: shorter than normal case with a lot of taper.

My right handed Ruger American in 243 hasn't done that but I have an older Savage in 223 that does the same as yours as well. What I find helps is cycling the bolt a little faster. It took awhile to figure it out as it never had feeding issues while hunting. Only when I was shooting on a bench.

Give that a try if you haven't already.

I called Ruger yesterday regarding my .22-250 and they are sending a new mag free of charge. It appears they have made some mods to the mag. My .22-250 appears to be the same as a .243 mag and since the .22-250 cartridge is shorter it causes a problem. The rep said the mag would be tested before shipping and to look for it in 7 to 10 days.

I have a 595 Tikka and it has NEVER failed to feed . I think I am finished with detachable magazine rifles other than Tikka. when you are left handed it is a problem to get what you really want.

Lodgepole, I shoot left handed (left eye dominant) have always shot a right handed rifle. Couple le buddies do the same. Keep trigger hand on stock grip and cycle rounds with right hand. Been doing all my life and really like how I can track follow up shots.

My right hand and arm was squashed in an accident 64 years ago ,I have about 40 percent use of my wrist and fingers. Cannot use it like that . Lefty rifles are a Godsend for me.

What's funny is, I wouldn't trade one Tikka for two RAR's... Cheapest POS mags ever designed and the stock flex is outrageous...

Does the choke happen when working the bolt slowly? Does working the action more briskly solve the issue?

Back