WV coyote hunting regulations for comment . . .

Frogman

In previous posts some of us WV coyote hunters have expressed our frustration with some of the WV Dept. of Natural Resources coyote hunting regulations. I recently received a letter asking for my comments on possibly changing some of those regulations.

They are considering the following changes:

1. "allow the hunting of approved widlife species at night with a pistol, revolver or rifle up to a .22 caliber centerfire and shotguns using shot shells of #2 shot or smaller." Currently we are limited to .22 rimfire and #4 shot or smaller??

2. "allow the use of any artificial light for hunting at night for raccoon, skunk, oppossum, coyote and fox." Currently we are limited to the use of red or amber lights and fox are not legal to be hunted at night.

The letter asks if we favor the above changes. In my response I checked the in favor line.

One additional regulation that I would like to see changed that was not mentioned in the letter reads as follows :

"During closed small game season, coyotes may only be hunted in open fields. Guns must be cased while being transported to and from the open field."

I suggested the following:

"I would like to suggest removing the restriction for hunting coyotes only in open fields when no small game seasons are in. As an avid coyote caller it is very difficult to call coyotes into open fields in the daytime. It would help if we could hunt them in the woods and thickets where they are most comfortable."

The attached letter from DNR is requesting comment on the above chages as well as input on other hunting and fishing regulations.

If WV hunters would please print the attached request for comment, look through it, and respond to those things listed above, perhaps we could get some of these regulations changed.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23122994/DNR%20Sectional%20Meeting%20Papers.pdf

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this!!

Jim

Personally I would like to be able to take Bobcats and Fox at nighttime during the period you can hunt coyotes.If calling yotes at night and you happen to call in a big ol Tom I would have a hard time not taking it out.

Thanks Frogman, I'll have to get this out to people so we can try and get some of these ridiculous rules changed. That way we will have atleast have a fair chance at these coyotes during the closed small game seasons and night hunting. I agree with you on those rules you mentioned above. Maybe with some luck and pleading when can get some changes made.

Thanks for passing this along Jim!

This is a good move for us guys! If you've ever hunted out of state, you know how ridiculus our night hunting laws are! I just printed off 25 of these letters, and will be passing them around. I also attached the pdf to an email and will be sending it out to others. I hope you guys do the same!!!

John, where you been buddy? Haven't seen you on for a while. I'll definatly add the comment about hunting cats at night too!

Just working Nick. That and a cuople of sinus infections have been keeping me out of the woods. Haven`t been able to make it out much and when I get the time seems like the weather isnt on my side.

I agree with your ideals, but I would like to use my 223 and carring the gun in a case. WV DNR say they are tring to stop deer pochers, but pochers use pickups and larger rifles than a 223. I can under stand casing firearms from home to the field, but once in the field what is the issue. If your going to do something illegal case or not case is not going to matter.

Guys,

WV DNR held a sectional meeting here in Parkersburg this past Tuesday March 15th to get comments on hunting regulations here in WV. I was able to attend and supported the changes that I mentioned in my origional post above. Most of the officials present felt the first two things I listed above would be enacted. I also suggested the change about hunting only in open fields when no small game season was in. Several other hunters in attendance aggreed with making that change. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

The more input DNR gets on these topics the better chance we have to get some changes!! Please download the forms in my origional post and fill them out and send them in before the April 9 deadline!!

Jim

Sorry, haven't been on here for a while. I'll print the forms tomorrow.
My predator rifle and shotgun load still won't qualify.(357 mag and tungsten BB) But, it's still a change for the better. Thanks Frog

Agreed, .22 @ #2 shot that's funny. .243 @ #4 buck much better cal. and load limit. Especially when in the ''open field'' thing is in effect.

Come across the Oh'mighty OHIO river....coyote hunting is great here.
tt2.gif

those changes are good, but they need to change the caliber restrictions. and if its to keep deer poaching on the low, that will not be effective. in my younger days, when i hung with the outlaws, they used .22 mag and 22-250 to road hunt and poach deer in the off season. i understand casing a gun while travelling. but being limited to small caliber guns while predator hunting whether day or night, is unfair.

Back