Ruger 204

Apercell

OK guys just ordered a Dpms 1/12 twist barrel and I'm very new to the 204 and reloading,so I'm asking what's the best powder bullet combo.

My 1/12" Savage loved 32 grain Vmax or Nosler Ballistic Tips with 28-29 grains of Benchmark. It seemed to do its best when sparked by the CCI BR primer too.

Killed lots of ground squirrels and prairie dogs with this combo. Really tight groups and lots of scatter. Hard to beat that.

Where did you order the barrel from and what do they run now?

Mine loves 32 vmax or nbt's over H335. I'm sure other powders would be great also and if I used it in the winter would go with Benchmark or 8208 first.

I'm shooting an AR I built with a WOA 24" 1-10 twist & also a Kimber 1-12 twist bolt gun. Both shoot 35 gr. Berger's excellent with X-terminator or Accurate 2230 (same exact powders) or with 39 gr. SBK's loaded with RL 10. Both give great velocity. Go to 204 Ruger.com & look in the posts for reloading then best loads. There's bunches of loads & a great site for 204 shooters. Also, with the Berger's, larger predators like cats & coyotes don't run off when shot. They are awesome!
Jim D

Last edited:
Back