What 12 gauge predator shell offerings are available?

Dultimatpredator

Is there any other 3" 12 gauge options currently being manufactured besides hornady copper plated BBs and T heavy Shot? Never been a fan of buck shot being they never hold a pattern at longer ranges. I've tried buck number 4's by Winchester in years past and they did alright. I had 5 pellets in a six inch circle at 50 yards otherwise most buckshot patterns spread.

Last edited:
No luck with the "T" hevi-shot? With the right choke you should be able to match or exceed that 5 pellet in a 6" circle at 50 yards.

I'm using the Federal heavyweight BB but as far as I know they've been discontinued. I think a few websites might still have them kicking around. They use the flight control wad so no fancy choke, I just use my factory improved cylinder and it does great at 50 yards.

Plated wise I think the Hornady is your best bet, also uses a flight control wad so use an improved or modified.

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/07/winchester-varmint-x-shotshell-review/#axzz4Y7kt1vAI
Check out the above link.

Shotgun shells don't have to be called a predator load to be a good predator load. If you can find the Federal 1-7/8 oz 3" copper coated lead BB loads they are a good predator load.

Lead BB shot in my opinion doesn't have the density and hardness to get the penetration needed to be shooting at coyotes at 50 yards and more.

Many of the tungsten alloy denser than lead waterfowl loads in sizes #2, B & BB are great predator loads if you can find them. I think the Hevi-Shot B shot Goose loads are the only denser than lead waterfowl loads that are still being made.

If you can find any Remington HD BB shot loads, Winchester Xtended Range B shot loads, Hevi-Shot B shot Goose loads or Federal Heavyweight #2 shot loads at a decent price these are all waterfowl loads that work great on predators.

Stay away from steel shot and Federal Hi Density shot they don't work nearly as good as lead shot does.

Remington hd BB were discontinued years ago and are none to be found, that's what I just ran out of. 8 hits in a 6" circle at fifty yards. I just picked up five boxes of federal 1 7/8oz BB to add to my one box of 25 I had left. Federal discontinued these along with the heavy coyote 3 years ago. I called federal today and found out direct. I'd buy rem HD BB if anyone has any.I've dropped coyotes out 67 yards with the federal 1 7/8oz copper plated BBs. I can put a half a dozen pellets in a six inch circle at 50 yards with them.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the heavy shot B yet and might give them a try but at $5 a pull to see if they pattern? Probably going to pass and start loading myself. The Remington hd BB was a way better product, hit harder and not crumble like heavyshot, was more uniform in size and cheaper.

Last edited:
I didn't know Winchester made loads I Google them and it doesn't look like anybody has any available at this time. I didn't see any information saying what kind of shot it is it must be copper-plated BB. Hopefully they didn't discontinue them like everybody else has.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI didn't know Winchester made loads I Google them and it doesn't look like anybody has any available at this time. I didn't see any information saying what kind of shot it is it must be copper-plated BB. Hopefully they didn't discontinue them like everybody else has.

I bought a carton of 10 boxes after trying them on the pattern board. My shotgun does not like buckshot for some reason, all factory chokes and 4or5 aftermarket chokes proved disappointing till I tried the Winchester Varmint BB's, best patterning coyote load in my Beretta Extrema II

Originally Posted By: parsonOriginally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI didn't know Winchester made loads I Google them and it doesn't look like anybody has any available at this time. I didn't see any information saying what kind of shot it is it must be copper-plated BB. Hopefully they didn't discontinue them like everybody else has.

I bought a carton of 10 boxes after trying them on the pattern board. My shotgun does not like buckshot for some reason, all factory chokes and 4or5 aftermarket chokes proved disappointing till I tried the Winchester Varmint BB's, best patterning coyote load in my Beretta Extrema II

Good to hear...I'm using a kicks .670 in my beretta a390 silver mallard and picked up a NIB pintail from 1987 when it was made with the same parts as benelli. I will try the pintail with my kicks .680

I have a couple boxes of the new Winchester Varmint shotshells. They use the same shotlok technology as their Longbeard XR shells. They do pattern very well.
However I'm a huge fan of H-T-L loads for both predators and turkey, pretty much all I shoot. Much better distance and penetration with H-T-L. I wish they would incorporate the same shells with hevishot rather than lead.
I loved shooting the Winchester Xtended Range Coyote (3" tungsten B-shot) but they are no longer manufactured, like the Remington HD loads as well. I used the Winchester Xtended Range Waterfowl loads (basically the same shell in 3 1/2" but sold as a waterfowl load) for fox but can't come by them anymore either.
I've tried the Hornady Coyote shells and they wouldn't pattern worth a darn in any of my guns. Federal made a Heavyweight Coyote shell (3" BB tungsten). They pattern ok out of my guns and I would definitely use them for fox.
For coyote I pretty much stick with the DC shells in either T-shot or the #4 buck offering. I have one box of Winchester 3 1/2" #4 buck left. Winchester is the only one who makes a 3 1/2" #4 buck shell (lead) that I'm aware of. They can be hard to locate as well.

Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator I've tried buck number 4's by Winchester in years past and they did alright. I had 5 pellets in a six inch circle at 50 yards otherwise most buckshot patterns spread.
That's pretty good IMO.

found a place that has the federal heavyweight coyote shells. 3 inch, 1 1/2oz BB. as far as i know these are loaded with the densest/heaviest shot of any. but at $23 per 5 they are expensive.

The high quality predator type loads change often, much of the time they end up 'discontinued'.

I still have a fair supply of the older Hevi-Shot, and then my favorite, Remington HD, both mostly in T size shot. I milk the rounds, no need to shoot 20 at the patterning board. I may even use plain old #4 buck at times.

I shot a called coyote a while back at about 15 yards. The penetration from the HD T shot was almost unbelievable when my buddy skinned the coyote, total, angled chest penetration.

Test some then buy a supply when you find something you like. Nothing feels as bad as when a coyote runs off that should of been bagged. I like to use the very best ammo available.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotfound a place that has the federal heavyweight coyote shells. 3 inch, 1 1/2oz BB. as far as i know these are loaded with the densest/heaviest shot of any. but at $23 per 5 they are expensive.

That's about what I paid for mine, I picked up 5 boxes right before they went out. I don't live out west so it's not like i'm shooting multiple boxes per season which makes it a little more practical money wise.

Comparing the pellets to heavy shot "T" they definitely seem harder, more uniform, and feel not as likely to crumble like hevi-shot does. Haven't killed any with the Federals yet but the Hevi-Shot T has never failed me, taken some out pretty far with that stuff. No real reason I made the switch other than the increased pellet count of the BB loads.

The 2 3/4 inch Winchester 4 buck shoots well, buffered 27 pellets at 1350. The 3 inch Remington with 41 pellets also works well. Both of these you should be good to go out to 45-50 yards, and probably can be bought for .50 each on sale.

Originally Posted By: beaglerOriginally Posted By: Dultimatpredator I've tried buck number 4's by Winchester in years past and they did alright. I had 5 pellets in a six inch circle at 50 yards otherwise most buckshot patterns spread.
That's pretty good IMO.

I found my old load data, target, and a post from years past. It was 6 hits with the blue boxed Federal number four lead buck in a five inch circle at 50 yards. This stuff is still in production so I'm going to grab some up.

Back