What type of grouping can expect in a 243 with a 1/8 twist with a 55g bullet

Dultimatpredator

I would assume I need a 1/12 twist for optimum constancy. I am looking at an alex pro upper with a 1/8 twist and plan on shooting exclusively 55g noslers out of it. Plan B will be spending a little more and having a 24" detech upper made with a 1/12. My mind is made up on the 243 win and 55g bullets being its about the flattest "common" cermericial caliper going besides the 17 rem. I don't want to get into a caliper debate but just wanted to give a reason for my madness.

Last edited:
Depending on bullets, you may have issues with jacket separation.

IMO your missing the boat on your bullet choice. I love the old standard 243 but I'm running a 7 1/2 twist Brux and 105Amax's, and 115DTACs and it's a freaking hammer. The heavy high B.C.bullets is where the 6mm really shines and for what you're trying to do you'd be better off with a 22-250 and be basically the same in trajectory.

243 with the NOsler 55's is more in line with a 220 Swift or a 22/250 AI because the 6mm 22 caliber ballistic tips have a higher bc than the 22 caliber counter part. Sierra 55g Blitz kings, 60g sierra hp, 62g Berger, Watson, GTB bullets are all super accurate at very high speeds in the 243, and I shot them at 4000 fps out of a 6 Rem shooting groups in the 2's. We massacred crows, at 300 yards with these loads.

105's show their value past 450 in spades.

I rarely shoot past 400-500 yards even when I seek opportunities out rockchuckin'. I just don't get many shot opportunities that far due to terrain etc.

I would shoot 105's if I planned on shooting further. But under 500 yards the 55 NBT runs pretty well in the wind for what it is.

are you going to use a barrel made in Wisconsin. Krieger. then no worries about accuracy. my 8 twist has shot every thing good. 68 to 107. I have a 12 twist it shoots great too. I mostly shoot 70 ballistic tips out of it. very fast very accurate.

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGare you going to use a barrel made in Wisconsin. Krieger. then no worries about accuracy. my 8 twist has shot every thing good. 68 to 107. I have a 12 twist it shoots great too. I mostly shoot 70 ballistic tips out of it. very fast very accurate.

I looked on their website and had fun and priced out a barrel. I can get a complete detc upper for the same price as their barrel alone.

I had a factory 1-10 in my kimber montana in 243 that shot the 55 bal tips at over 4000 fps, but with fliers. Even if I made a bad hit, the yote would be anchored and expire. Now, with my 1-12 douglas, the fastest it will go now is 3750, and it patterns with the 55's, and does not group! It does however shoot 1/2 MOA with 70 TNT's and 88 Bergers luckily.

If you are using it to hunt with you should be ok. Just don't run several rounds fast through it or as some said you can tear the jackets off in the barrel or in flight. But all barrels are different so you will have to try it. Good luck!!

Back