headspace questions

kooman

guys I have been playing around at the reloading bench for awhile now but by no means am I an expert. I am wondering what is the best way to set a full length sizer for the best headspace for several different rifles. Do I just take my sizer down like the instructions say to set it up and go with that, or do I measure factory rounds with a headspace gauge and base my numbers off of that? any input would be helpful

I can only offer what I do,,,Don't take is as gospel, but it works for me....I have a set of Hornady Lock-n-Load gauges for each of my rifles, by caliber...First I determine my chamber length and very seldom do they match...I set my seating die using a factory round, I set my sizing die per instructions and then adjust as needed so the the case works easily in each rifle...I set my dies for the shortest head space and then keep the brass separated for that rifle, using a 'dummy' round with no primer or powder.... It initially sounds like a lot of work, but once it's set up, it makes reloading a lot easier...I prep all my brass to the point of priming, but don't charge with powder and seat bullets until a short time before I plan to shoot them...

My semi-autos get full length sizing and my bolt actions get only neck sized..In my semi-autos, I like .003-.004" of neck tension, in my bolt actions it's .001-002" of neck tension..(I use Redding Type S bushing dies) with the appropriate bushing...

I know this is more information that you originally asked for, but you might find it to be a little help in the future...

I use the hornady tool to measure fired brass that comes out of that rifle and bump them back .002-.003 with a standard full length sizing die and expander. Again I keep a dummy round to set the full length die. Pull the guts out, screw the die in to contact, lock it in, put the guts in, size a piece of fired, check it, adjust if needed.

I also use the Hornady LNL headspace gages. I have a notebook for each rifle and record the measurement where the bolt closes tight. I run Redding neck bushing die sets and purchase separately a body die. I'll pull the firing pin and spring out when I check to see if the bolt closes tight. When it does, I set my brass back .002"-.003". I also record that measurement for future reference.

I use the RCBS Precision Mics. I like the way they perform. The Hornadys do the same thing and they are cheaper. Have been considering getting a set of them also. If you use any thing to measure make sure you do like others have said. Make a dummy round , keep ammo separated , and make sure to log the measurements. It will make it a lot easier when you have to resize again. Always put in your die box what rifle the dies are set for to avoid mistakes. Good Info Above..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kooman........I am wondering what is the best way to set a full length sizer for the best headspace for several different rifles........

Do you mean using the same die set up for different rifles of the same chambering? As an example: you have 3 different .243's and only 1 set of dies and you don't want to change the die setting between rifles?

guys what I am wondering is whats the best way to load for rifles that I don't have access to to measure. I know where my rifles headspace at but I was going to load up some generic loads for my buddy and I don't have access to his rifle at this time and didn't know if I should base the headspace off of a factory round or just call it good at what my full length die will do at the "cam over" setting.

trying to load ammo that will fit in any rifle? size to "factory" specs, assuming the dies are good, cam over full length sizing the way the directions say for full length sizing.

Originally Posted By: koomanguys what I am wondering is whats the best way to load for rifles that I don't have access to to measure. I know where my rifles headspace at but I was going to load up some generic loads for my buddy and I don't have access to his rifle at this time and didn't know if I should base the headspace off of a factory round or just call it good at what my full length die will do at the "cam over" setting.

You don't need his rifle. Just get him to give you a few fired cases. Then you can just bump the shoulder back .001-.002 using one of several methods available. Is that feasible?

Back