Photon on the snow? Any IR wash?

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterGive us a review I am looking at purchasing and would like to know how it works out.
Gonna be windy tonight so I doubt we hunt but I will take it outside and see how it looks on the snow....I am guessing there will be more ambient light on snow as well.

Wow! Photon on the snow is bright and clear as day with no IR. I only tried the onboard Ir and didn't notice any bad wash. I can see 500 or 600 yards out across the fields like it is day. Overall for the money these things are great. I think a handheld thermal is a must have but you can kill things with the photons for sure.

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterGive us a review I am looking at purchasing and would like to know how it works out.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...791#Post3040791

I have the 6.5

Snow on ground no problem.

Snow in the air problems increase as snowfall increases.

Any brush between you and your target will reflect your IR light.

Works best in bowl shaped or low cut fields setting up high IMO

Can see farther than I like to shoot at night, 190 yards is my farthest kill so far.

Tough to acquire fast targets at close range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Wow! Photon on the snow is bright and clear as day with no IR. I only tried the onboard Ir and didn't notice any bad wash. I can see 500 or 600 yards out across the fields like it is day. Overall for the money these things are great. I think a handheld thermal is a must have but you can kill things with the photons for sure.

I've never had a washout problem with snow on the ground either, probably because it does so well without ir in those conditions. They are definitely hard to beat for the money!

Varminter .223,

Last night I did a test with my 6.5x Photon XT during a full moon and light snow covering. I didn't use an illuminator but thought you might be interested in seeing the results.

The snow / full moon part begins at the 5:50 mark in the video.

I hunted with it on light snow last night. I was impressed with how good I could see with no ir. At first I ran the onboard ir on low just to produce some eye shine. I then kept that ir off and ran the evolva to save battery on the photon. Honestly I think I could see the best with the onboard ir on low in those full moon snowy conditions.
Nice review btw!

Last edited:
Back