Christensen Arms

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#3043687 - 02/09/17 08:11 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
I have had same results with the foam cleaners, Keith. They (foam) do not seem to cut powder fowling/carbon nearly as well as copper. I have gone to brushing bore w/Hoppes Benchrest and letting that sit a while to soften powder fowling. May repeat depending upon dry patch. Then I proceed w/the foam to work on the copper. I let mine sit overnight w/the foam and repeat as necessary. My factory tubes obviously require more TLC than a good target barrel.

Regards,
Clarence

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3043746 - 02/09/17 10:54 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
ackleyman Online
PM senior

Loc: Hickville
Clarence, I think this old Douglas barrel is going to be a good teacher, humbling also.

#3043752 - 02/09/17 11:33 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
Yep, sounds like it may be a challenge. Had an old A3 Springfield like that. Looked like the drill picked up a chip about 2 or 3" from the muzzle and cut "threads" all the way out. Shot surprisingly well, but was a real challenge to get clean; it was a copper magnet.

Regards,
Clarence

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3043787 - 02/10/17 07:02 AM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
K22 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Western NC
Originally Posted By: ackleyman
This stuff is not cutting the carbon at all, even in the bottom. In my 270, the barrel cleaned up fine with win 760 powder. This N140 may burn so hot, that it really cooks the carbon on, I found this to be true with N133 in a 223 AI. The barrel has powder fouling in it pretty heavy for 20" of the 30" length.
So much for a Genie in a foam can.

That's the reason I use KG 1 Carbon Remover first then Wipe Out next. Montana Extreme with Kroil in it down the barrel first works also, just not as well as KG 1.

#3043790 - 02/10/17 07:33 AM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
obaro Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Monument kansas
I alternate Wipeout and either Hoppes Elite, or MPro 7 when I clean. The Wipeout for the copper, obviously, and the other for the carbon. Lots of time I let them soak for hours or even days at a time.May try some Slip2000 on the carbon next time around. Seems like the crud about comes off in layers, copper then carbon, back and forth. I don't have a borescope, but the guns sure shoot better afterwards. Never have tried the graphite, but sounds like I should give it a go.

#3043889 - 02/10/17 12:46 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
Preacherman Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Colorado
Just had good conversation with Terry at Sharp Shoot R. I've been losing some accuracy and having a heck of a time getting my barrel clean with conventional methods. Excited about giving it a try. I did ask him specifically about some of the comments here, but I felt assured by his answers. I'll let you know what results I get. BTW ordered patchout and accelerator.

#3044018 - 02/10/17 07:34 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
ackleyman Online
PM senior

This old Douglas barrel has minor fire cracking for 12", thus this gives the powder something to adhere to. I went at it again with a vengeance today. The barrel had been soaking for 24 hours in Montana Extreme bore solvent. Patched it out, then bore scoped, and this did nothing for that cooked on powder fouling.

Next, I used a bronze bristle brush, applied JB, brushed till the brush wore out, which took about 20 strokes. Bore scoped the barrel, and this got a bunch of powder fouling out. Still some left, then repeated the same with 10 more strokes, The barrel looked pretty good at this point.

Now that I have it down to bare metal, will be interesting to see what the pure Wipe accelerator with foam will do with just soaking. The Wipe out and accelerator worked like a charm on my SS 270 after 70 shots, but the barrel is in pristine condition.

Also, will have to add some KG1 on the Midway "Cart" to try.

Here is my conclusion so far, the Wipe out will work well under normal conditions. Wipe out did get all the copper out of this barrel on the first soaking. When bores are neglected or bores are in rough shape, this is when you need to use other methods. I had been giving this old Douglas barrel about 5 strokes with a brush, then Montana Extreme Copper Killer, and never scoped the bore...boy, what a mistake that was. Brushing with JB is an extreme Cure to remove the powder fouling, and obviously my 5 stroke brushing with regular bore solvent was not good enough over the past year, with about 70 rounds on the bore in between cleanings. This powder fouling is obviously an accumulation over hundreds of rounds and incomplete cleanings.

This old Douglas barrel will shoot less than 1/2" groups at 200 yards with many loads, amazing considering just how rough the bore is.

I am thankful to have good ole JB, and there is no evidence of scratches in the bore from brushing with JB, you just wear out a new brush real quick. That Lyman Bore scope with it's 25x magnification lets you see everything up close and personal right on that little TV screen, best $180 I have ever spent.

#3044021 - 02/10/17 07:35 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
ackleyman Online
PM senior

This old Douglas barrel has minor fire cracking for 12", thus this gives the powder something to adhere to. I went at it again with a vengeance today. The barrel had been soaking for 24 hours in Montana Extreme bore solvent. Patched it out, then bore scoped, and this did nothing for that cooked on powder fouling.

Next, I used a bronze bristle brush, applied JB, brushed till the brush wore out, which took about 20 strokes. Bore scoped the barrel, and this got a bunch of powder fouling out. Still some left, then repeated the same with 10 more strokes, The barrel looked pretty good at this point.

Now that I have it down to bare metal, will be interesting to see what the pure Wipe accelerator with foam will do with just soaking. The Wipe out and accelerator worked like a charm on my SS 270 after 70 shots, but the barrel is in pristine condition.

Also, will have to add some KG1 on the Midway "Cart" to try.

Here is my conclusion so far, the Wipe out will work well under normal conditions. Wipe out did get all the copper out of this barrel on the first soaking. When bores are neglected or bores are in rough shape, this is when you need to use other methods. I had been giving this old Douglas barrel about 5 strokes with a brush, then Montana Extreme Copper Killer, and never scoped the bore...boy, what a mistake that was. Brushing with JB is an extreme Cure to remove the powder fouling, and obviously my 5 stroke brushing with regular bore solvent was not good enough over the past year, with about 70 rounds on the bore in between cleanings. This powder fouling is obviously an accumulation over hundreds of rounds and incomplete cleanings.

This old Douglas barrel will shoot less than 1/2" groups at 200 yards with many loads, amazing considering just how rough the bore is.

I am thankful to have good ole JB, and there is no evidence of scratches in the bore from brushing with JB, you just wear out a new brush real quick. That Lyman Bore scope with it's 25x magnification lets you see everything up close and personal right on that little TV screen, best $180 I have ever spent.

This type of fouling is representative of fouling that you may have on a decent day of p. dog shooting.

Edited by ackleyman (02/10/17 07:36 PM)

#3044027 - 02/10/17 07:42 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
204 AR Online
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Nebraska
An update on the Bore Coat I applied on my rough 204; it did nothing that I can tell. The 10 curing shots left copious amounts of copper.

I was chatting with a local who does quite a lot of gunsmithing. He swears that guys have ruined their bores by soaking with foaming cleaners longer than 15 minutes. Saw it with the bore scope. He believes there is ammonia in them. I have seen no mention of this anywhere else so am skeptical. The can of Gunslick brand I have says soak 15 to 30 minutes. It makes no mention of soaking longer or any harm associated with doing so.

#3044098 - 02/10/17 10:20 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
to my nose the patchout does smell like it has ammonia in it. dont know if it is enough to harm metal with extended exposure though.

#3044105 - 02/10/17 10:36 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City
I just looked at my can of Wipeout. It's old, last can of a case I bought a long time ago. But it says "contains no ammonia" on the front. Not sure if I had ever read the back before. Probably did, but long ago forgot. Anyway... On the back it says it's effective for 24 to 48 hours and will cause no harm when left in the bore that long.

Course, I think tobacco companies used to say the same thing about smoke in your lungs, so... But, I've been leaving it in for long periods, for I'm not sure how long but has to be 15 years now. No issues I've ever become aware of.

Think I mentioned earlier, when it comes to hard carbon, I still resort to JB though. That stuff needs some mechanical action to break loose. Have never found any chemical that will remove it. But, even in my very over bore hotrods, I've found regular soaking with Wipeout, I rarely see that kind of hard fouling that requires brushing and or JB. Not never, but rarely.

- DAA

#3044655 - 02/12/17 04:13 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
ackleyman Online
PM senior

Round two on three different rifles using Wipe out Accelerator and Foam.

1. Custom Model 7 with ss bbl in 6.5 creed, ~40 rounds fired. 5 patches of accelerator and then foam, soaked over night. No signs of copper, and trace amounts of powder fouling, not too bad.

2. Custom Model 70 Winchester with CM Shilen barrel, 26" in 308 Win. Same thing as #1, about 40 rounds fired, trace amounts of powder fouling left after the nights soaking.

3. German Mauser customized, 8mm Mauser, 30 shots fired, same thing as #1 and #2.

Conclusion so far, this stuff is not cutting powder fouling that is cooked on down to bare metal.

Poster, 243kimber suggested using the accelerator and patch out on a brush first, this seems like the way to go to get the powder fouling out.

I was hoping to get lazy and just use patches and soaking, that is a pipe dream.

#3044685 - 02/12/17 05:38 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
Seems from what I have gathered here, there's nothing that is going to replace elbow grease if you want a clean barrel. No magic potions, no super duper cleaning solution. They all work "pretty good" but you still need to use the brush!!

Ain't that right Winny

#3044690 - 02/12/17 05:54 PM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
OldTurtle Offline

Loc: East Central FL
If you are concerned about the abrasiveness of JB Paste (something I use once in awhile), then find something that a lot of precision benchrest shooters use called OSSO...A little less aggressive but pretty effective...I use it routinely on barrels with moderate debris very successfully....

#3044916 - 02/13/17 09:03 AM Re: Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator [Re: ackleyman]
ackleyman Online
PM senior

Bill, I am not scared of the JB one bit, use it all the time on stubborn barrels. I was just evaluating the Wipe Out foam and accelerator with just patches. Next evaluation will be brushing with the foam in the bbl. My first can is just about empty. No doubt that the Patch Out will be more economical to use.

More aggressive methods are needed for powder fouling, but the copper is all gone out of all the barrels I have used it on.

Will dirty up a few more barrels this week, and get back and report my findings of soaking after brushing.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.