Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator

ackleyman

Being an old school benchrest shooter, I have been cleaning guns with good bronze bristle brushes for all my life. Ran into trouble some time back when a couple of custom guns got cleaned with patches only. Powder fouling caked up and got so hard it would not show black on patches, then the gun quit shooting...223 AI.

About 14 years ago, I bought two cans of wipe out, and never used the stuff. Then recently I bought a bottle of accelerator, and an applicator tube that fits on the top of the wipe out can to keep the mess out of the action.

As a test, I took a Rem 700 in 270, and worked up a load which turned out to be 58g of Win 760 with a 110g Hornady HP, groups are fantastic, and I shot the barrel 80 rounds without cleaning it.

I pushed 5 patches soaked with Wipe out Accelerator through the bore, let that set for a couple of hours, then sprayed the wipe out through the barrel till it dripped out the muzzle. I had the rifle in a rifle cradle with the muzzle pointed in the down position, slightly.

I let the barrel soak over night, then dry patched it out with 4 dry patches, then bore scoped the barrel with a Lyman bore scope.

TO MY GREAT AMAZEMENT, the barrel was 98% clean of powder solvent and 100% free of copper! The 110g bullet had a speed of 3375, and prior to cleaning, I could see copper in the muzzle with a flash light. I am sure that If I had soaked a second time, all the powder fouling would be gone.

I Like!

That's all I've used since it first came out. Have never tried the accelerator though. Haven't ever needed it.

- DAA

Thanks for your report, Keith.

You know, the 12oz can of Gunslick foaming bore cleaner is about the same price as the Wipe-Out 5oz can is. I have tried them both and cannot tell the difference in how well they clean so I always get the Gunslick.

Anybody ever noticed a much difference between them? They both work well I can tell you that.

Yeppers, I was a doubting Thomas on the Wipe out. I have an old 22/250 soaking now. The only issue that I see are situations were you have shot a lot in the mornings and have to clean on the spot, like a p. dog town or ground squirrel field where you have shot 300 rounds in a morning.

The 4 patches of accelerator takes out all the loose carbon fouling, and I think that a bottle of it may last a couple of years.

How many of you guys soak the barrel two days in a row?

What is the least amount of time you think that it is necessary on a soak to get the job done?

Least amount, couldn't possibly say. For what, I'd ask. If I'm in a hurry, I just leave for as long as I can, however long that is, and don't worry about it. Deep cleaning can come later.

But I routinely soak them for days. Just because I'm busy, or lazy, or forget. Have let them soak from one weekend to the next many times. Not because they needed to, but because it was convenient for me.

On problem barrels, I've soaked for a couple days, pushed out the blue goo with a couple patches, foamed again and let it sit for a couple more days, and just kept repeating until the foam coming out looked normal. THEN, hit the throat with JB. Sounds like a lot, but it's very little effort to get someone elses neglected/problem barrel deep cleaned.

- DAA

I just tried it a week or two ago myself on my fouling 204 barrel. It does work, it took a couple soaks and I think it helps a great deal to run some soaked patches through first to get out the loose/easy stuff.

On a related note, a couple years ago I tried the dyna-tech bore coat stuff. It didn't work at all. And just last week I was thinking of trying it again, and while researching the directions came upon some info that about two years ago they had a bad batch. So I emailed the company about it and in about 20 minutes had a reply that stated they did have some bad product and he would send me out some new to replace it. It will arrive tomorrow according to tracking.

So my 204 is squeaky clean and it will get a test. I will report if it helps. If you're unfamiliar it is some kind of ceramic coating that helps seal up the rough spots. Many have reported great results so I'm hopeful.

I talked to the inventor, and he advised to put both accelerator and patch out on a nylon brush and push it through the bore, making a type of suds. It seems speeds up the cleaning reaction. Tha'ts all I have been using since it appeared one the market. I use the liquid form and not the foam.

Originally Posted By: DAALeast amount, couldn't possibly say. For what, I'd ask. If I'm in a hurry, I just leave for as long as I can, however long that is, and don't worry about it. Deep cleaning can come later.

But I routinely soak them for days. Just because I'm busy, or lazy, or forget. Have let them soak from one weekend to the next many times. Not because they needed to, but because it was convenient for me.

On problem barrels, I've soaked for a couple days, pushed out the blue goo with a couple patches, foamed again and let it sit for a couple more days, and just kept repeating until the foam coming out looked normal. THEN, hit the throat with JB. Sounds like a lot, but it's very little effort to get someone elses neglected/problem barrel deep cleaned.

- DAA

How do you know if the throats needed jb, or if the repeated wipe out soaks did the job?

I'm another one that has been using Wipe Out products for a long time.
The accelerator and standard wipe out does wonders as you found out. I use the foam on heavy fouled barrels and they come out just about like new. I do run jb bore paste with it dipped in wipeout on the heavy fouled & coppered up barrels using a bronze brush, foam it and let it sit over night or loinger when I get back to it.
Ill do that on my p-dog rigs after 800+ rounds or so.

Originally Posted By: steve garrett
How do you know if the throats needed jb, or if the repeated wipe out soaks did the job?

Tight patch/feel. Carbon/carbon ring is easy to feel. Bore scope works pretty good too, if you have access to one. But after you have used a bore scope quite a bit, you learn to trust the feel of a tight patch pretty well.

- DAA

I want to get a can of this stuff but I have never seen any on the shelf at any of my local shops. I always end up with some Butch's and many many dirty patches.

I've used the gunslick foaming cleaner when it first came out and liked it, I never went back to it because they warned against using it in guns with a gas port. I was competing with an AR at that time so it scared me off. Now I've got many more guns and am shooting a 30" barreled bolt action in competition now and the new AR is a drag through the dirt and snow hunting gun. I will pick up the next can of Gunslick or Wipe out when I see it... I'm almost out of Butch's.

Originally Posted By: TheBig1Keith, do you now prefer the Wipe Out over Montana Xtreme products?

Jury is still out with me...I will bore scope a lot of barrels and calibers. Hot rods put a lot of carbon in the barrel, I just have to learn from trial and error.

Take a 7 Mag with a factory barrel, same with a 7 STW, lots of powder fouling...we will see...Montana products are tried and true.

Back