Savage model 10'vs model 11?s

zr600

Ok what is the difference between the model 11 and model 10 actions? Reason is I can buy a complete 243 model 11 with a detachable mag for 379 and a 10 action is more then that to buy alone. So are the actions the same with just different barrels and stocks and magazine styles. I'm looking to build off of this.

I think, and I may be wrong, but didn't there used to be 2 versions of the accutrigger? The model 12's and maybe the 10's could be adjusted a pound lighter than the 11's? Somebody correct me if that's not the case, but seems like it used to be.

Well I really dont care about finish, or the factory trigger. So the model 11, 12, and 10 all would use the same aftermarket stocks, triggers and parts then?

Only differences for stocks wpuld be blind mags/detachable mag, top bolt release/bottom bolt release. Barrels are the same, triggers are the same.

Originally Posted By: zr600Well I really dont care about finish, or the factory trigger. So the model 11, 12, and 10 all would use the same aftermarket stocks, triggers and parts then?

The older, top bolt release, short action models have different action screw spacing. The older staggerfeed models are 4.25" and the newer centerfeed models are 4.4" spacing, if I'm remembering correctly. Not sure about the new bottom bolt release versions, but that leaves 3 different stock dimensions for a short action Savage. As long as you know what action you have, it's not a problem.

Originally Posted By: zr600So then a model 10 short action bolt would work in a model 11 short action?

I have two model 10s and a model 11 action, and I've swapped all bolts around for testing.

Yes. Savage uses a numbering system that takes a bit of getting used to. Even though the actions are the same, Savage calls ( I believe I am correct) the 10 a tactical, the 11 a hunter, the 12 a varmint, the 14 a wood stocked upgrade, and a 16 a stainless. The stocks and barrel contours are the main differences. There are definitely a few exceptions to this, but this covers most.

The main difference you will want to look at is if you are referring to the model 11 trophy hunter, it will have a bottom bolt release and the 10 will have a top bolt release. You will have to order specific stocks for each or you can have CDI mill the action and relocate the bottom bolt release to the top. If you are looking to drop the model 11 Trophy Hunter into an aftermarket stock, you will have to buy either savage bottom bolt release bottom metal or an aftermarket option to make it work (given you get one of the newer models where the mag well is molded into the stock and not removable). Other than that they should interchange.

Ok well my cousin has a model 11 243 and his is a left handed rifle and it is a top release he says it's on the right side. This is a blind mag.

Back