The dry spell is OVER! Splash one Iowa Coyote

MasterBlaster

Been going to make some changes and move scopes around and wanted to make a call right before dark.I went to the range and swapped scopes on the Winchester 670A 243 with plans of using it for my call. I got it zeroed in with Hornady factory 75 gr HPs this is 200yds. I took the 4.5X14 LR CDS off my R15 and replaced it with my old Swarovski 3x9 with the 4a cross hair.Love that scope.Zeroed it too.
image_zpsxa6xkeyc.jpeg

So now I'm ready to go make my call! I turned down the dirt road and put the Toyota in 4 wheel drive the edges were muddy but not bad. I get to my spot gear up and off I go not really remembering how the ground lays been 10 years since I had been there.

image.jpg1_zpscvwdjora.jpg

I set up on the right side right of the tree line about 50 yards and in between the 2 ponds where the V is in the timber where the 3 draws come together. There is a road that comes out right in the V and I expected them to come out right on the road into the field. I set my caller and decoy south of the road so they would come up to the field before they could see it. You can't see the creek to the north but it's there so really good spot. Started with howls the pup distress went to rabbit then to the pup screams. At the 25 min mark he showed up right on the road where my rifle was pointing. He stood and looked at the spinning decoy for a 3 count then came closer about 40yds. Well I left the 243 in the truck and had my R15 I shot him in the front of the chest and he went in to the spin, I always interpret as "thank you sir may I have another" so he got his wish and he dropped in a pile. The first round hit him in the chest and would have killed him but if they are moving I'm shooting. The 2nd one hit the side of his head below the ear. Dry spell over or maybe a new dry spell started not sure.
image_zpspm52nmtx.jpeg

MasterBlaster

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Dry spell? Thought you and Bang-Pop were just out slaying them.. sweet none the less..
That was over 6 weeks ago! The last coyote I called was Dec 3rd. This is the first one I've seen calling since then.
MasterBlaster

I feel better now that I'm not the only one that hasn't been having any luck. I haven't seen one since the first week of January.

Probably feels almost as good as killing your first one.

I just went through a scope change on one of my rifles and after a miss and a front leg I'm wondering if I should have left well enough alone.

I feel like I should know where you are at but I don't want to embarrass myself by saying. You aren't a quitter! Keep hunting you can't go wrong. Cool story and pic. thanks.

Good looking coyote! I see your map said Wapello; use to go there all the time to eat at Johnnie B's way back in the day when they actually had "good" all you can eat walleye.

Congrats on breaking the dry spell with a great looking dog. Always helpful for us new hunters to see where guys are setting up and what calls were used, so we can follow along better as you are telling the story and learn. Thanks for sharing

Originally Posted By: Dan WanfaltI feel like I should know where you are at but I don't want to embarrass myself by saying. You aren't a quitter! Keep hunting you can't go wrong. Cool story and pic. thanks.

Dan go east of your old house down the dirt road top of the hill.
MB

Atta boy partner! The weather must be a lot nicer around your place than it is at mine. According to that areal view, your trees have a lot more leaves on them than the ones around here.

Back