One I won't forget.

TN_predators

Sunday morning, my dad and I got out for a few stands. He has never been out hunting coyotes so I figured I'd teach him a few things. Figured I owed him as much, being that he taught me everything he knows about hunting other species!

Anyway, it was a perfect morning, cool and a WSW wind of about 5 mph. 1st and 2nd stands were blank but the 3rd produced. Set up on the north end of a narrow bean field, creek on the east side bluff on the west. Really good spot. Set up at 8:55 and howled a few times and at 9:00 started pup distress. At 9:03 out popped this big, old male from the creek. He trotted out and circled the sit-n-spin. I feel like the tails on the decoy had to be touching him. I yelped at him a few times but he didn't acknowledge me, and started heading back toward where he came from.

Took the shot at him while he was on a trot at about 45 yards. Dropped like a sack of potatoes. An awesome morning and even better I got to share it with the one I call "Daddy".

My biggest by a long shot. Weighed in at 41 lbs!

We're both cheesing in this picture! LOL

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: GpzchrisOnly thing better than hunting is sharing the experience with loved ones! Nice yote. Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlWTG, a really nice one..
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: MasterBlasterNice. What did you shoothim with?
MB

AR-15. You can kind of see it in the corner of the pic. Added another pic with gun.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Thanks to all. It is a blessing to be able to share these moments with my dad. I'm very grateful.

Originally Posted By: MVTI bet dad is hooked now! -- yes he's hooked! He's been texting me asking for pointers on building a AR-15 for coyote hunting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVBCongrats on your kill---Now it's Pop's turn---Happy Hunt'en Guys
Funny you say that. I wanted him to take the shot but unfortunately he was in prone and lost the coyote in the weeds so counted on me to make the shot. He was super excited either way.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Makin' memories! Good read.

Regards,
hm

Absolutely! Thanks.

Big congrats on being able to spend time and share a hunt with your Dad. Mine has been gone since '89 and I miss him everyday. Really nice male. Y'ALL done good, real good!

Family time, do it when and where you can! I can't do it with my dad any longer but I've got a couple of nephews hooked! Thanks for the read and good work

Originally Posted By: Dan WanfaltTell us bullet etc. Masterblaster can see it was an Ar-15 with a can. Can make etc. bullet , powder ???

Can- Dead air sandman-s
Load- Hornady V-max factory 55 grain

Back