6x6.8 shooters powder question???

Jabey9210

I just picked up an upper with a 22" Bhw 6x6.8 barrel. I am planning to shoot 70gr nosler BT's. I notice on all the load data I can find that most prefer either H335 or IMR 8208. I have a surplus of benchmark and H4895, is there a reason I don't see much data with these powders??? It's in the same neighborhood as the other two on the burn rate chart. Just curious if I should waste my time with Benchmark and H4895 or do H335 and 8208 truly work better???

Last edited:
I abandoned RL 15. 1/4" one day and 1" the next.

I shoot benchmark now and while it's a little fast for 70s it produces some pretty ridiculous groups.

I went out and tried to shoot some test loads with Benchmark today. I couldn't get very good groups because of the 20mph wind, velocities were not quite what I was hoping but my max charge showed zero pressure signs. I'm loading more now stepping up until I see some pressure signs. Hopefully the velocity comes with it. If not I have some Hornady 87gr BTHP's that I might give a whirl!!!

What kind of brass? I have used rl15 8208 cfe223 and tac. Now this was with the hornady 87hpbt. I use cci450 only pretty much and fc brass and have had good results with everything but the cfe223. But I didn't play with it to much but the other powders all had good loads with them. Could also try Remington 7 1/2 primers.

In the 6x6.8 AR15 I tried 31g benchmark, 55g NBT @ 3595 fps, groups not that good (over 1").
The best load was 30.5g BM, 55g nbt at 3413 fps & grouped at .467" (1/2g made a big difference)
Varmint Pro, H335, x8208, H4198, tac, w748, imr4320, varget, aa2015, blc2, BM, CFE are all the powders Ive tested with 55-95 bullets.
CFE with 65g VM, 58g VM , 55g NBT never grouped very well, every load no matter the charge was over an inch @ 100 yds. At 30g CFE it was only doing 2918 fps wher as every other powder at 30g was over 3100 fps. I stopped experimenting with CFE in the 6x6.8.
All my brass is R-P large primered.
I just run the 55g bullets for coyote and the 90/95g NHBT for deer/antelope.

Originally Posted By: CZ527What charge and what primer? I got my best groups with BR4s. 450s didnt do very well.

28.9 grains of benchmark with 70gr noslers was the highest I tried. CCI 450 primers. All groups were around an inch but like I said the wind was like 20mph so I was moving as well as the target so I'll have to try again. I was just impatient and was wanting to see velocities and pressure signs.

Originally Posted By: zr600What kind of brass? I have used rl15 8208 cfe223 and tac. Now this was with the hornady 87hpbt. I use cci450 only pretty much and fc brass and have had good results with everything but the cfe223. But I didn't play with it to much but the other powders all had good loads with them. Could also try Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Hornady brass. It came with the barrel but some of the primer pockets are so loose they won't even hold a primer so I'm pretty much scrapping most of it. I bought some new Hornady brass today. There was some SSA brass but I've read mixed opinions about it. CCI 450's and I've only tried the nosler 70's so far. I have a box of Hornady 87gr BTHP's that I'm gonna give a try. I'm what you might call a speed freak. I won't however ignore pressure signs especially in an AR nor sacrifice accuracy for a faster load. I just try to find the fastest accuracy node I can.

Back