Selecting a stock - help me out!

SouthTXBowhunter

I'm collecting parts for a custom rifle and I'm a little stuck on the stock. I don't want to get into a caliber discussion so I'll just say, it's a Defiance Deviant tactical short action, a fluted 22" Bartlein #4 barrel and APA bottom metal. I'm not going for a true mountain weight rifle but I AM trying to build a light and compact rifle for 98% suppressed hunting. I'm either going to get a Manners EH or a McMillan Edge filled. Need a little help picking. FWIW - Mike Bryant (http://www.bryantcustom.com) is building it but he's not in the shop this weekend, so I'm turning to y'all for some help

Question 1: Are the Manners mini chassis worth it or are pillars a better way to go? I've found many threads, in other forums, where guys had trouble with the mini chassis and ended up bedding the action anyway; which seems to defeat the purpose of the chassis system and makes it unnecessary weight, expense and wait time. Anyone have specific experience with this that can give me a recommendation?

2. Of the Manners models I like the EH3, EH6 & EH4, in that order. Only problem with Manners is the difficulty finding one of these in stock in the GAP camo I'd prefer; but I suppose I could get a different color and have it dipped, if I had to. Which of these models do you prefer, and why?

3. Of the McMillan models I like the Game Hunter (NO adjustable cheek piece) and Game Warden stocks. The Game Hunter would be perfect except that the elevated cheek piece and Monte Carlo drop concerns me - I like using a stock pack for carrying dope card, extra ammo and, occasionally, a bore snake. I'm not sure how well a stock pack will fit/work on a stock like this. Which stock would you choose/recommend and why?

4. Of these 5 stock options (Not interested in other manufacturers or other models), which would you chose and why?

I'd pick the stock that most closely resembles the game scout, because I feel it should have made the list.

The eh6 probably won't hold a #4, and the EH4 is a stupid looking 2x4
smile.gif

If you must go manners, the eh3 is the way.

Per Tom himself, skip the chassis if you don't plan to swap barreled actions regularly.

Oh one more thing, with a number four, be concerned with a front heavy rifle if you get the edge fill. They are very petite. Mike would know more about this than me, for sure.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Oh one more thing, with a number four, be concerned with a front heavy rifle if you get the edge fill. They are very petite. Mike would know more about this than me, for sure.

Thanks for the reply! I missed the Game Scout somehow but I've added it to my list; and there are some in stock that I really like! Also, thanks for confirming my suspicion about the chassis system - it's not something I need or want.

On the balance thing - Do you think that even a fluted 22" #4 would be nose heavy? I'm going to email Mike about it but I figured that at that short length and fluted it wouldn't throw the balance off.

EH4 - you called it, "a stupid looking 2x4." Can you elaborate? I've never held any of these stocks - that's why I asked for help. Since this is going to be a fairly short barreled rifle, I thought a "compact" stock might be appropriate. I'd sure appreciate any additional info you can give me.

Thanks again for your replies

No, a 22" fluted would probably balance just fine.

The EH4 probably has its place, but the forend is ridiculously short. It makes the stock look like a piece of 2x4. On the website, it just looks compact. On a rifle, it looks like I described above. VERY disproportionate. With your 22" barrel, it wouldn't please the eye for certain, and the forend is probably a tick wide cosmetically for a #4. A friend of mine has one on a 16" 308, and it's looks kinda ok with that setup.

I also like stock packs, but I decided to forego one on my latest project, and had a game scout inletted for loggerhead ACP hardware. I just wanted a clean looking, all business rig. It'll probably mule deer hunt once a year, but it's mostly just for ringing steel and looking pretty.

For what it's worth, in a number 4 hunting rig, you could flip a coin between the GS and the EH3. I do think the GS LOOKS a little meaner.

Originally Posted By: CZ527No, a 22" fluted would probably balance just fine.

The EH4 probably has its place, but the forend is ridiculously short. It makes the stock look like a piece of 2x4. On the website, it just looks compact. On a rifle, it looks like I described above. VERY disproportionate. With your 22" barrel, it wouldn't please the eye for certain, and the forend is probably a tick wide cosmetically for a #4. A friend of mine has one on a 16" 308, and it's looks kinda ok with that setup.

I also like stock packs, but I decided to forego one on my latest project, and had a game scout inletted for loggerhead ACP hardware. I just wanted a clean looking, all business rig. It'll probably mule deer hunt once a year, but it's mostly just for ringing steel and looking pretty.

For what it's worth, in a number 4 hunting rig, you could flip a coin between the GS and the EH3. I do think the GS LOOKS a little meaner.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm actually going to go down to a 3 or 3B barrel. Looks like I'm going to go with a GS because I can get one sooner. Can't tell you how much I appreciate the heads-up on that stock. Still don't know how I missed it.

Thanks again, bud!

I've got a Game Scout on a 22x47 and am having an EH-1 put on a 7 mag. The Game Warden and EH-1 look very similar. I personally like the vertical grip and how the stocks sit in my shooting sticks.

Last edited:
I love the Game Scout I have 2 so far one has a #4 the other a standard factory #3. I like the grip, I have trouble with pain in my wrist so I always shot an AR till I got the GS. The top one is the #4 23 inches then the sporter.

image.jpg7_zps5uhmxsad.jpg

image.jpg1_zps0niptv1u.jpg

MasterBlaster

Mike Bryant has built two rifles for me, and both are fantastic shooters.

I just went through the same thought process you are going through for a new custom build of my own. I went with a Manners EH-4 for two reasons. The rifle will be suppressed with a 19-20 inch barrel, so the shorter forend will be perfect. Besides, it is more about function than looks. Secondly, I found one at Bullets.com without having to wait. They have a pretty good in stock selection of Manners stocks right now. I went with McMillan for all my other custom builds with no regrets, but you usually have a six month wait unless you got with a black stock.

Like you, I always spend a little extra and get the barrel fluted to save a little weight.

I have also searched for 'the' right rifle stock for a couple rifles I own. I read a great article on Precision Rifle Blog as Cal (the author) writes about his goal for 2016 for more rifle training. Most of the article is about what all and how Cal was taught more in the area of long range shooting. As with most of Cal's articles, lots of questions at the end of the article lead into other areas that Cal did not go into great details on. So, where did Cal go for his training when he could have gone to any school? Gunwerks Long Range University! I've watched the show and love their shooting tips, but that surprised me a bit. Most precision rifles I've seen look tacticool and not your traditional hunting style gun. I'm thinking apples and oranges here. What do you think? Here's the link.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/11/06/gunwerks-long-range-shooting-school/

After you have read the article, the question about stocks comes up on November 9th by rick137. Enjoy!

Back