1-4x or 2x7 Illuminated red dot options? whats out there

Grass

I'm wondering what other manufactures make what I'm looking for

I want to get either a 1x4 or 2x7.

I want a standard reticle with a illuminated red dot.

I looked through a Vx-r 1-x patrol (in the store) and really liked it. little pricey, but thought it was nice. Didn't care for the exposed turrets, as most of my shooting will be under 200

what other options are out there with these options?

Last edited:
Bushnell Elite 1.25-4 and Trophy owned both in the past both work3d as it should

Alpen optics XP still own a 1.5-6x40 I love it, dropped from the line but they make a 1-6x24mm now.

Mueller makes a number of scopes with Illuminated dots.

Last edited:
The Firedot is awesome, it really draws your eye in for the shot. The thicker reticle isn't fantastic for target shooting, everything is a compromise.

Is the VX-R Firedot an A/O scope? It appears to have a side focus, or maybe it's to turn on the firedot. Can the dot be used either black or illuminated?

VX-R is not AO, that gold colored "turret" is a push button on/off and brightness adjustment button. There's 7 brightness levels IIRC. Turn it off and it becomes a regular solid black etched reticle. Turn it on and the center dot glows red. It automatically shuts off after 5 minutes of non-motion and instantly turns back on when it detects movement.

I have a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 firedot on my 7.63x39 and I just put a Burris MTAC 1.5-6x42 on one of my 5.56 ARs.

The Leupold firedot is daylight bright, so if that's what you're looking for it would be a good choice. The dot does really draw your eye to it. The eye box seems a little tighter to me but that could be an individual thing. It is a very light weight scope.

The MTAC comes with two different reticle choices, the ballistic CQ and the ballistic AR, both are a little different. I went with the ballistic AR and have learned to really like it. The illumination isn't daylight bright even on the highest setting unless you put it against a dark background then it shows up well. Where it really shines is dusk, because it has a larger objective it works better in the low light and of course that's where the illumination helps as well. This is not a lightweight scope, it's built like a tank. I put it on an Aero Precision lightweight mount to hold the weight down a little.

Another 1-4 you might consider is the SWFA. They usually have a black Friday sale on those. All the reviews are pretty positive.

if a 1-4x will work for you give the Steiner P4Xi a look, its got a daylight bright red dot and very nice glass. a buddy of mine has one and its almost as good as my German military grade Steiner 1-4x both use schott glass. my turrets are a little better though but close. you can pick the Steiner up for $475 with throw lever from botach but they are a little slow on shipping sometimes.

here is an ongoing thread about them with pics from another site i hang out on.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/698196_Steiner_P4Xi_1_4_.html

Originally Posted By: lone gunmanif a 1-4x will work for you give the Steiner P4Xi a look, its got a daylight bright red dot and very nice glass. a buddy of mine has one and its almost as good as my German military grade Steiner 1-4x both use schott glass. my turrets are a little better though but close. you can pick the Steiner up for $475 with throw lever from botach but they are a little slow on shipping sometimes.

here is an ongoing thread about them with pics from another site i hang out on.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/698196_Steiner_P4Xi_1_4_.html

I ended up purchasing this one due to all the good reviews. I'm really happy with it!

Back