What bullets in stoner 1-8 22 nosler are working?

varminter .223

My dies will be here Monday and the factory loads don't satisfy me. What bullets are you guys getting to shoot .750 or better. I have several powders and bullets on hand to try but thought I would cheat and try to get some of your info. My loads will be for night hunting so I need a thinner jacketed drt type hunting bullet.

Last edited:
Not many work ups out there anywhere on the net. I would just grab some 8208/CFE 223 and some Noslers/Sierra's 50's or some Berger MEF's if you can find the. I got a reamer print and there is LOTS of free bore so you have some room to work. Going balls to the wall I would avoid the 50 VMAX as they do blow up in the air heading out when pushed at around 3750 in a 1:8.

Starting loads can be top end 22 PPC data moving up into the lower end of the 22 BR. This one won't hold any mystery long once guys start shooting it in these shorter barrels. I put a 26" on order for a Savage so I can really see what it will do.

Greg

I am gonna try some varget with 60 vmax. I also have benchmark and 8208 to try with the 50 and 55 bts. Gonna use 7.5s to light the fire. I have 20 rounds through now and the Wipeout shows no copper fouling. Im glad to see that. What did I do before buying a place with a 100 yard range in the front yard
thumbup1.gif

I am surprised to hear a few reports of 50's grouping well. I figured the fast twist might be partial to the 55's and up.

Last edited:
I am shooting the Stoner 1/8 in both a 223 wylde 18" and 6x45 20" both are shooters. 223 with 55 grain Nosler varmagedon using benchmark will group 1/2 moa at 200 meters. Also the 53 grain vmax does really well in mine as does the Speer 52 grain hpbt.

I use 8208xbr in the 6x45 with medium weight bullets.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I am gonna try some varget with 60 vmax. I also have benchmark and 8208 to try with the 50 and 55 bts. Gonna use 7.5s to light the fire. I have 20 rounds through now and the Wipeout shows no copper fouling. Im glad to see that. What did I do before buying a place with a 100 yard range in the front yard
thumbup1.gif

I am surprised to hear a few reports of 50's grouping well. I figured the fast twist might be partial to the 55's and up.

I've had good luck with the 50's in my 22X6.8 group wise in it's 1:8 tube. I believe that the 40's might be a bit on the edge for optimal but sneaking up a tad has worked for me. I can't imagine shooting the 33's I have tucked away though..LOL

Greg

FWIW 50s and 55 of both Nosler and V max have not shot well at all for me. I am starting to get under an inch with 60 bt's and varget. 60 vmaxes did't work well either. These were my first few test though. I am concentrating on the 60 bt's now as they showed the most promise early on.

Last edited:
What powder and what col works for 53 gr vmax? Worked through a couple powders still not as good as factory 55 noslers

Does 8 twist seem a bit faster to you guys for 55 grain bullets? I'm trying to decide how I would twist a custom 22" barrel. I'm thinking 9.....maybe even 10.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Does 8 twist seem a bit faster to you guys for 55 grain bullets? I'm trying to decide how I would twist a custom 22" barrel. I'm thinking 9.....maybe even 10.

If I order one it would be a 12. That would be plenty for 55s.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Does 8 twist seem a bit faster to you guys for 55 grain bullets? I'm trying to decide how I would twist a custom 22" barrel. I'm thinking 9.....maybe even 10.

I think they were concentrating on the 77's more than the light ones as they would be iffy in a 9.

I would go 9 if I were going to stick with the 55's up to 69's.

My 22X6.8 is an 8 and I have had excellent result with it shooting 50's but I wanted big bullet capabilities and I do shoot the 77's with god results in mine.

Greg

Poor luck with some POTENTIAL causes. I'll post up tomorrow. Get your towels out it's a cryer.

Greg

BTW I have a call in to Nosler Tech about pressures. Hopefully I can get some numbers.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOK I'll post up the numbers tomorrow BUT:

MAP (PER NOSLER) is 55,000 on this one. The same as a 223 This brass is SOFT!!!

Greg

if it can't be loaded to nato pressures it will never out run a properly loaded 223

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOK I'll post up the numbers tomorrow BUT:

MAP (PER NOSLER) is 55,000 on this one. The same as a 223 This brass is SOFT!!!

Greg

if it can't be loaded to nato pressures it will never out run a properly loaded 223

The extra capacity is going to help but on this one it's going to be marginal. I've got some capacities calculated so it will be interesting when I do some modeling.

Greg

What is the case capacity compared to 22x6.8? I'm trying to wrap my head around the benefits other than using a regular ar15 bcg.

If speeds are around 3300 then shouldn't most thin jacketed bullets still work(ex. 50 vmax)?

Originally Posted By: HumpnessWhat is the case capacity compared to 22x6.8? I'm trying to wrap my head around the benefits other than using a regular ar15 bcg.

If speeds are around 3300 then shouldn't most thin jacketed bullets still work(ex. 50 vmax)?

It's a little more than the 22x6.8.

50 gr vmax works well in mine at 3400+ with 8208, loaded longer than 2.260. Seating depth made a Huge difference in mine. Brass life at those speeds is 10+, as I have one piece I loaded over and over, I'm at 9 now and still holding fine. 5 thousandths shoulder set back, brass length isn't growing and no signs of head separation. I guess I've had a little better luck with mine than most here. It's no tack driver but is well under moa at 200 yds.

I haven't tried any other powders and only 1 other bullet and only 4 of those.

Originally Posted By: HumpnessWhat is the case capacity compared to 22x6.8? I'm trying to wrap my head around the benefits other than using a regular ar15 bcg.

About one grain more on the Nosler.

Benefits other than the bolt are zero. The 22X6.8 has better choice in heavy bullets. The chamber doesn't require a massive jump. The brass is not single source. I am running 50's at 3750 that has been pressure tested.

A 50 at 3300 is easily obtained in a 223. Why bother?

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooter

A 50 at 3300 is easily obtained in a 223. Why bother?

Greg

In an 18" barrel?

Back