Review: Forster bushing bump dies

ackleyman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORSTER-BUSHING-BUMP-NECK-SIZING-DIE-KIT-FOR-6-5-CREEDMOOR-MFG-BBK2271-/201785917688?hash=item2efb60c0f8:g:Bv0AAOSwv-NWWPMD

I am using these in the 6.5 Creed, 243, and 6.5x47 Lapua, they sure do save a lot of full length sizing

Thumbs up to Forster for a great product

Also, the regular Forster neck sizer dies work great for bumping shoulders also, you are just stuck with a fixed neck dia.

I know a guy that tests bullets for berger, he determines what neck dia he wants to size to, sends the regular Forster FL and Neck sizers back to Forster and they ream them out to the prescribed dia for $12 each. This gentleman wins a lot of trophies and says that he gets his best accuracy with this system.

I eliminated all full length sizing in my 6.5x47L on hot loads, but I had to make a web sizer to size the web with, eventually.

Thanks for the info, Keith. I have been looking at these dies, but always hesitated because I have always been under the impression that to gain the most benefit from a bushing die you should outside turn the necks. Is this true or can you effectively utilize these bushing dies without turning necks? I really don't want to get into turning necks for all my calibers, but am always looking for a slight advantage in my reloading process. Thanks.

I am not turning necks on the cases that I mentioned above, the bump die will save you a ton of full length sizing.

When you read of bushing dies, please do not interpret this as dies meant to be used for turn neck cases only.

I have found bump dies especially useful in cases with a lot of taper, such as a 243 Win, and 25/06 where I found accuracy nodes that really worked the brass, but the bump die eliminated full length sizing to a great degree.

IN the 6.5x47L, my accuracy node is right where I need a tiny bump on the shoulder for an easy close on the bolt on the next firing...sure made my life easier, and groups are fantastic.

Same thing on my load for a 243 Win with IMR 4064 and 80g Sierra Blitz bt; 25/06, I use the Forster std neck sizer to bump the shoulder shooting a hot load of R#19 and 100g speer bt, shot the brass 12 times without full length sizing. I could go on an on about shoulder bumping to avoid full length sizing.

It is obvious that I don't need to full length size until I need to reduce the dia at the web, I am working on web sizer dies only now...Winter project.

Neck turning for bushing dies, depends on how and why you are using them. And the neck thickness uniformity of your brass.

If you are going to continue using an expander, you can ignore neck turning without any real penalty.

I started using bushing dies to stop using expanders. Without an expander, any eccentricity in your neck thickness gets transferred directly into bullet eccentricity. All my varmint rifles are tight neck chambers and require neck turning anyway though.

Just depends on why you want to use them in the first place and what you are trying to do.

- DAA

I shoot a 300WM a lot in LRT stuff and ELR steel plates. The WM is notoriously hard on necks and bushing dies do a great job of not overworking the necks and reduce splits. Forster makes AMAZING dies, both sizers and the ultra micrometer seater. IMO for quality and concentric ammo I like them equally as Redding stuff and for the price I actually think their better.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info guys. I definitely like the idea of not overworking the brass with the bump dies and the use of the bushings. It is good to hear that the bushing dies are not necessarily intended just for turn neck cases. I suspect that if neck uniformity isn't great it can certainly play a role in neck tension variation, but this would probably be the case with a regular neck sizer and expander I would think. Thanks again!!

Back