6mm?'s

GWHunter

Thinking of building an AR in some sort of 6mm. Requirements: must use AR-15 lower not and AR-10. Must shoot 75-100 grain bullets. Wanting to shoot deer, coyotes and other varmints out to about 300 yards, but most shots would probably be around 100. What would you all recommend? 6x45, 6.5, 6.8, 243lbc?

The one that fits all your listed requirements the best with bullet weights is the 243lbc.

100's are too long and would be too slow in 6x45 and the other two don't have 75 gr options.

Lot's of good reading on here with the 243lbc, quite a bit by me lol.

Last edited:
I just ordered a BHW .264 LBC from Ritch at RitchsPrecisionGuns. He is pleasant to deal with and knowledgeable. You need to call him and talk to him. He can help you nail down what you need. I went with the .264 because of the heavier bullets so the .243. You have a better selection of 6 mm bullets though. GLshooter on here is a good guy to contact also. Ritch is also a site sponsor . I like the LBC's because they have more power.. Just learning with ARs so there are better people to ask than me. I like bolt guns too much.

Thanks thats what I was thinking. Along with a BHW barrel from you when I finally decide. It'll actually probably be two barrel as my father is thinking of building a similar rifle.

What twist should I be looking at? Thinking of going either 18 or 20" barrel. Want to keep it as lightweight and compact as possible.

Originally Posted By: GWHunterWhat twist should I be looking at? Thinking of going either 18 or 20" barrel. Want to keep it as lightweight and compact as possible.

1:9 will do it. A lightweight can be done. I'd give Ritch a call next week for his wisdom.

Greg

Thanks. Looks like PA is going to finally let us use semi-autos for hunting so I'd like to put together a rifle that can cover most of my bases. Still waiting to see if its for sure going to go through before I actually build something, but my dad will be looking to build as well when we get the green light. I'd like to have my ducks in a row that I know exactly what I want when the time comes.

I would go 243lbc. I have a 6x6.8 and I love it minus there is no quality brass for it. When i burn this tube up it will get a 243lbc. My cousin just ordered a 243lbc from Ritch and I helped him setup his die it's a single pass with one bushing to make brass. I would only get lapua brass and for mags asc.

Originally Posted By: GWHunterThanks. Looks like PA is going to finally let us use semi-autos for hunting so I'd like to put together a rifle that can cover most of my bases. Still waiting to see if its for sure going to go through before I actually build something, but my dad will be looking to build as well when we get the green light. I'd like to have my ducks in a row that I know exactly what I want when the time comes.

I've got my fingers crossed for you all out there. It will be a huge dam breaking if they open it up for hunters. Are you still banned from hunting on Sunday or is that some other state?

Greg

Originally Posted By: zr600I would go 243lbc. I have a 6x6.8 and I love it minus there is no quality brass for it. When i burn this tube up it will get a 243lbc. My cousin just ordered a 243lbc from Ritch and I helped him setup his die it's a single pass with one bushing to make brass. I would only get lapua brass and for mags asc.

The 6X6.8 is a single pass when you buy the CH4D dies.

Originally Posted By: bryan h
The 6X6.8 is a single pass when you buy the CH4D dies. I ordered one over 4 months ago. Still have another month or two wait per CH4D. Better get in line!

built several 6x45s and these are little bad asses light rounds in the 65 - 90 range work well for most things the run around good Nevada yote gun light recoil and fast follow up

check out arperformance.com, I have one of his "6mm Predator" barrels and love it. He is a great guy and customer service it top notch.

From his page:

Part of our Predator line of barrels, this cartridge is based on the PPC or Grendel brass. There are several names for all of these cartridges such as " 6mmAR", 243LBC, 6mm Grendel. All 3 of those belong to certain companies and all 3 are the same cartridge. Whatever it is called it is capable of pushing 105gr bullets with a BC of .547 to 2900fps out of a 20" barrel making it one of the flattest shooting long range cartridges to fit in an AR15. 55gr varmint bullets will hit 3500fps. It could be the most versatile cartridge to fit in an A15. Whether it's shooting long range target, shooting varmints or deer and hogs the 6mm Predator will perform equally well. ---http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek068.html

Back