Who's got the best remote out there?

kaniac

Allright, so the soft touch keypad on my wildfire are smoked, They never really worked that great in the first place, and I wore it out from pressing on it so hard. Who's got the best, easiest to use remote going with real buttons and the best range? Not ruling out another foxpro either.

What kind of range do they have? The ICO-tecs claim 300 yards without a line of sight, which I'm sure is a little generous, buuuttt.... Also I'm still just slightly bitter at my experience with fox pro thus far.

Foxpro TX-1000.

Do you really need to be 300 yards from the call? Maybe I'm missing something. I've had mine about 60/70 yards away and thought that was pretty far.

Well I'm guessing the 300 yards is a pretty generous statistic, but if I could stick it in the brush 100-150 yards up in the woods and set up downwind that'd be nice. I can't do that now.

The only times I've had trouble with the tx500 or tx1000 is when it's around a hill (closer to partner) or behind and above, with actual terrain between us. Otherwise they are gtg for a long ways.

Originally Posted By: kaniacWell I'm guessing the 300 yards is a pretty generous statistic, but if I could stick it in the brush 100-150 yards up in the woods and set up downwind that'd be nice. I can't do that now.

Why that far out?? The idea is to get them close enough for a good shot. Put it that far out and the ones that hang up will hang up 250 yards out.

Originally Posted By: kaniac Also I'm still just slightly bitter at my experience with fox pro thus far.

As you admitted, that was not really Fox Pro's fault

Originally Posted By: kaniac I wore it out from pressing on it so hard. Who's got the best, easiest to use remote going with real buttons and the best range?

Also, you can put the plastic cabinet stops on the buttons and it makes a big difference. I have never needed to push the buttons hard on any of my Fox Pro remotes.

I never said I was setting the call 300 yards out in front of me. I just said thats what they claimed, I would like to set it on the edge of an old clearcut or a gravel pit and set up 100 yards down in the woods. If they claim a caller works at 300 yards I'm assuming thats under ideal conditions, if I want to stick a caller 100 yards up in the brush I don't want a caller thats rated for 100 yards.

As you admitted, that was not really Fox Pro's fault

Not really sure where I admitted it was my fault, the buttons wore out because you'd have to take your glove off and really hold down on it to get things to work, being my first e-caller caller I just kind of assumed thats what you got if you didn't want to spend 500$ and it just got worse as time went on. Plus if you couldn't see it was pretty dicey if the remote would work or not, even if it was 50 yards away.

I'm not knocking Foxpro, they're out there putting in the time and pushing the industry ahead. I am saying that remote has been less than impressive on several fronts.

Originally Posted By: kaniac
I am saying that remote has been less than impressive on several fronts.

all the older remotes and even the newer remotes that come with the cheaper callers were not impressive. with the exception of the inferno. the remote that it uses works pretty darn good. and of course the tx1000 remotes work very good.

I am very happy with my new Foxpro Banshee. The remote is a step down from the TX-1000 but ranges just the same. The TX-1000 has a few extra functions/bells & whistles.
I have set up 175 yards, caller in the bushes and no problems without line of site. I even hid behind a very large rock with no interference or problems with the remote. Worked flawlessly

Originally Posted By: kaniacWhat kind of range do they have? The ICO-tecs claim 300 yards without a line of sight, which I'm sure is a little generous, buuuttt.... Also I'm still just slightly bitter at my experience with fox pro thus far.
Their claim is pretty darn close in my book
I left my icotec 500 down in a creek bottom just to see what it would do I was pushing 250 yards through the timber and it still worked fine. The only downside to the remote for me is the font size at night I have to have a pair of cheater glasses to read it

Last edited:
My ico-Tec GC500 remote works well out of sight at 200+ yards. I haven't tried it at any farther distance. I haven't had any trouble with the buttons after one season. It seems to be a pretty good call but I don't think it is robust as the Foxpro calls I've seen. However, it is a good call with good sound quality.

Back