Doe bleat back-fire

Mark204

I went bow hunting Friday morning, got into the stand about 6am and really wasn't seeing a thing. About 10:50 I saw a doe on the other side of the gravel road. I figured she was going to cross the road as they usually do, I wanted her head more in my direction after she crossed so I gave a little doe bleat. I had lost sight of her in the thick stuff and the next thing I see is her high tailing out of there the same way she came.

I have never had that happen before, they either respond to it or keep walkin, never had one spook like that.

Any thoughts?

Here Kitty Kitty

Dunno... With the general firearms season just closing maybe she's pretty spooky from all the recent hunter intrusion.

That thought crossed my mind GC and its possible. Pressure in St. Gen was light where I was at, there were only 2 of us on 300 acres, with most of the properties adjoining us un hunted. Kind of left me scratching my head. Maybe she had a bad experience with a doe bleat, who know. Another one of life's mysteries I guess.

Here Kitty Kitty

Last edited:
Couple years ago I bought a "can" doe bleat call. Tried it in PA with small bucks and does, no response. A week later back in mass , I see a deer moving thru thick brush, so with the muzzle loader cradled in my arm I turned the can. In three bounds the buck was right in front of me ten feet away staring at me. I never got a shot, but I use it all the time now, never got another response, but will never forget that one time !

Have had the same thing happen while trying a grunt tube on bucks. People say they have worked for them,never me and afterwards can't help but think I gave my position away.

First time I ever used a grunt tube was about 28 yrs ago.A doe came in within 5 minutes.Thought I found the holy grail for deer hunting.That was the last time a deer came to the call.I use them every year and while it's never spooked one off.About all they do is look my way some times then just go about their business.

Mark 204, Using a doe Bleat at times works wonders, at other times it will scare other does off. If it is a estrus bleat often a doe that is not in heat or already bread doesn't want to be around a hot doe due to the bucks chousing her also. Late in the season they are tired of the bucks bothering them so they just get out of the area. Soft doe grunts are a communication call that will sometimes work, it is just a I'm over here type call and not a more aggressive sound. I have tried a lot of calls over the years and nothing works all the time. I have had my best luck with subtle very soft calling more often than using aggressive sounds. How often do you hear deer making sounds in the woods? I have had good luck just tinking horns together in the early season shortly after the bucks shed their velvet. If you think about it the bucks aren't real aggressive yet it is mostly the youngsters just doing a little pushing setting up their hierarchy not really fighting. Try to mimic that activity. During the rut aggressive rattling and aggressive grunts do work. Just like calling coyotes you will have better success when you use calls that are appropriate for the time of year. It doesn't mean that they wont work other times just not as often.

drscott

Last edited:
i called in a yearling this past season...saw 7-8 deer abt 100yds out from my stand, i use a Primos Up-Roar, (very deep mature buck grunt) and out of all those deer a yearling broke off from the rest and came trotting over...still scrat hing my head over that one.

ive called several smaller 6 and 7pt bucks in in the last 3yrs using the Primos bleat can...i use it in conjunction with the up-roar...ive called in anything from Spikes to 140in+ deer with that Up Roar call.

now rattling, thats a diff story...ive had zero success rattling.

Alittle tip for usimg the bleat can...put a string through it and wear it around ur neck...also i dont tip mine to make it call, i blow in the bottom of it...tipping it actually makes the bleat sound alittle too long and it can be translated by the deer as an alarm bleat...i keep it short maybe 2-3sec, i wait maybe 5-10 sec and blow again...ive done this numerous times during the rut while waiting for 1st light...u might be amazed at the amount of crashing leaves and branches breaking u hear before shooting light!

2yrs ago i did this, along with using estrous urine, and tarsal gland buck urine placed about 10ft from my ladder...i had 3 diff buck make brief appearances abt 20min b4 shooting light...20min after shooting light i had 2 tags filled...2 bucks stuck around and came back, and a doe had come in hoping to be bred as well, what a good morning that was.

give the calling another try and dont give up on it!! it does work!

try and create the most realistic aounding scenario u can and u will eventually have success...this is true with calling ANY type of game...i used to be a non-believer in my youth, and now with alot more real world experience as a more serious adult, i can honestly say i am a believer a it has increased my success rate almost double.

Back