.22 nosler

Originally Posted By: reaper4I'm looking to break 3700 with a 52. Don't want to have to go the hellcat route if I don't have to

You can get there with any of the ones we are discussing. No need to fight the bigger case IMHO.

Greg

One thing I think that is a problem with the 22,nosler being successful is its not ideal with heavy bullets. I personally don't care about shooting anything bigger than a 60 grainger. But there are lots of guys outside of hunting that want to shoot 77's. I say use a bigger gun. But ultimately the best success Imo is a case that can support heavy bullets and light bullets. With noticeably faster speeds that the 223.

I don't see how it can't be a success. Add a barrel and a mag and you've got near 22-250 performance in an AR. Every AR 15 coyote hunter in the US should love it imo. When it comes to dropping coyotes I could care less about cost per round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I don't see how it can't be a success. Add a barrel and a mag and you've got near 22-250 performance in an AR. Every AR 15 coyote hunter in the US should love it imo. When it comes to dropping coyotes I could care less about cost per round. If the loss of 400 fps is close to a 22-250 I don't know what to say. It's 150 fps faster than a 223. If you hand load a 223 you can get within 50 fps to factory 22 nosler loads. The question is what does the 22 nosler do when step on the gas

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I don't see how it can't be a success. Add a barrel and a mag and you've got near 22-250 performance in an AR. Every AR 15 coyote hunter in the US should love it imo. When it comes to dropping coyotes I could care less about cost per round. If the loss of 400 fps is close to a 22-250 I don't know what to say. It's 150 fps faster than a 223. If you hand load a 223 you can get within 50 fps to factory 22 nosler loads. The question is what does the 22 nosler do when step on the gas

Have you seen the 22" barrel velocities?

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I don't see how it can't be a success. Add a barrel and a mag and you've got near 22-250 performance in an AR. Every AR 15 coyote hunter in the US should love it imo. When it comes to dropping coyotes I could care less about cost per round. If the loss of 400 fps is close to a 22-250 I don't know what to say. It's 150 fps faster than a 223. If you hand load a 223 you can get within 50 fps to factory 22 nosler loads. The question is what does the 22 nosler do when step on the gas

Have you seen the 22" barrel velocities? you can length to the 223 too.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Proof is claiming 3600 out of their 22" barrel. That's all over the heels of a 22-250 in a 24" barrel

Where did you see 22"? All I have is 24". What bullet?

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: yotehunter243Proof is claiming 3600 out of their 22" barrel. That's all over the heels of a 22-250 in a 24" barrel

Greg
That's what they have advertised on their Facebook page. I believe a picture from their booth was posted on page 3 or 4 also.

Copy and pasted

We're now using CAMGAS technology to manufacture carbon fiber and stainless steel barrels for Nosler's new “22 Nosler” cartridge — providing near 22-250 performance from standard AR-15 components.

Available in 20” and 22” Plus 2, you can push up to 3600 FPS with 55 grain, or 3100 FPS with 77 grain ammunition. Learn more about this impressive innovation from Nosler here: https://www.22nosler.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I don't see how it can't be a success. Add a barrel and a mag and you've got near 22-250 performance in an AR. Every AR 15 coyote hunter in the US should love it imo. When it comes to dropping coyotes I could care less about cost per round. If the loss of 400 fps is close to a 22-250 I don't know what to say. It's 150 fps faster than a 223. If you hand load a 223 you can get within 50 fps to factory 22 nosler loads. The question is what does the 22 nosler do when step on the gas

The 18" tube is gonna slow any fast 22 caliber down. I am referring to the cartridge itself not the length of a 105 dollar tube that happens to be the first and only option at the moment. I would much prefer 20 or 22" as my stag super varminter is 24" and it is a tank to hoist around. Accurate loads in my 22 250's I estimate to be around 3375 to 3500. I definitely need to add a chronograph as I hate estimating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter243 Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: yotehunter243Proof is claiming 3600 out of their 22" barrel. That's all over the heels of a 22-250 in a 24" barrel

Greg
That's what they have advertised on their Facebook page. I believe a picture from their booth was posted on page 3 or 4 also.

Copy and pasted

We're now using CAMGAS technology to manufacture carbon fiber and stainless steel barrels for Nosler's new “22 Nosler” cartridge — providing near 22-250 performance from standard AR-15 components.

Available in 20” and 22” Plus 2, you can push up to 3600 FPS with 55 grain, or 3100 FPS with 77 grain ammunition. Learn more about this impressive innovation from Nosler here: https://www.22nosler.com/

Link was bad for me but oddlly enough none of their publsihed 24" 55 loads exceed 3518 and the 77's at most hit 2981. I'm smelling market hype on this one.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I don't see how it can't be a success. Add a barrel and a mag and you've got near 22-250 performance in an AR. Every AR 15 coyote hunter in the US should love it imo. When it comes to dropping coyotes I could care less about cost per round. If the loss of 400 fps is close to a 22-250 I don't know what to say. It's 150 fps faster than a 223. If you hand load a 223 you can get within 50 fps to factory 22 nosler loads. The question is what does the 22 nosler do when step on the gas

The 18" tube is gonna slow any fast 22 caliber down. I am referring to the cartridge itself not the length of a 105 dollar tube that happens to be the first and only option at the moment. I would much prefer 20 or 22" as my stag super varminter is 24" and it is a tank to hoist around. Accurate loads in my 22 250's I estimate to be around 3375 to 3500. I definitely need to add a chronograph as I hate estimating.

Oh yeah you have to get a chronograph. They make a lot of questions go away quickly. I shot 95% of my shots through a chronograph even on established loadings. I just got the LabRadar and will be trying it out but will have my Millineum CED when I crack that 3900 FPS level with some of these wildcats I'm trying or the light bullet loadings in others.

I'll load this one up but I fully expect to ruin a bunch of brass on doing this. Those swipes on Ritch's brass tell volumes.

Greg

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Proof is claiming 3600 out of their 22" barrel. That's all over the heels of a 22-250 in a 24" barrel

NO, I ran almost 3900 with 50's from my 22" ruger mark 2. its simple case compacity you can't get around it. there is nothing magic here. GLS does have a point about bolt thrust and soft brass. IMO you need to be able to load up to 62kpsi and if you can't its really going to limit how great the 22 nosler is going to be. your always going to have 5.56 nato loading data out there that is loaded full house.

wonder if they could have made a grendel case the same length as this 22 nosler then used the rebated rim of the 6.8 case. I wonder how much case compacity a mythical cartridge like that would have.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: yotehunter243Proof is claiming 3600 out of their 22" barrel. That's all over the heels of a 22-250 in a 24" barrel

NO, I ran almost 3900 with 50's from my 22" ruger mark 2. its simple case compacity you can't get around it. there is nothing magic here. GLS does have a point about bolt thrust and soft brass. IMO you need to be able to load up to 62kpsi and if you can't its really going to limit how great the 22 nosler is going to be. your always going to have 5.56 nato loading data out there that is loaded full house.

wonder if they could have made a grendel case the same length as this 22 nosler then used the rebated rim of the 6.8 case. I wonder how much case compacity a mythical cartridge like that would have.

You are almost 22 BR range on that one. The 22 LBC and the 22X6.8 are within a grain of each other. I wonder if stretching the case would cause feeding issues on the Grendel body. Probably not undoable but then again looking at 100,000 pieces of brass would be a bunch of money. If you can't supply the public with it it will be a boondoggle trying to recover the $$'s on it.

We are approaching the diminishing returns on the small bore AR's IMHO and while it is fun we can't hope for too any more ew cases to pop up. Darn it!! LOL Then again the Grendel with a 6.8 base is going to bring up bolt thrust again above the current Nosler offering. Performance is never free and you pay somewhere along the line.

Gteg

Black hole just announced they're starting to chamber the 22 Nosler

Screenshot_20170201-122501_zpsdso5e0lc_edit_1485969987011_zpskhtgqioj.jpeg

Back