Best light?

Don't know what's best but own 2 LF170s, and 2 Wicked Lights (predator pursuit pack). The Lightforce's now collect dust. I am really happy with the Wicked's for a rifle mounted light. I use a "K" light led for scanning. It's a professional coonhunting light. My setup works very well. I think the only improvement would be thermal!

Have not used or even seen the CL1 or the other so no idea how it compares to the wicked.

Last edited:
For a scanning light, FOXPRO Fire Eye! Beats everything mentioned here in my opinion. For a weapon mounted light, Coyote Light. Let me know if you'd like a price on either or both.

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMFor a scanning light, FOXPRO Fire Eye! Beats everything mentioned here in my opinion. For a weapon mounted light, Coyote Light. Let me know if you'd like a price on either or both.

So what makes the CL1 better? I have never seen one and am curious to hear the difference from guys that have actually compared both in the field. Assuming the CL1 is brighter? If so how does the physical size and weight compare?

As for scanning, I can say with many years of night hunting experience, a head mounted light is the ONLY way to go. I love FoxPro callers but the handheld light IMO is a step backwards in night hunting.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: NGI_TOMFor a scanning light, FOXPRO Fire Eye! Beats everything mentioned here in my opinion. For a weapon mounted light, Coyote Light. Let me know if you'd like a price on either or both.

So what makes the CL1 better? I have never seen one and am curious to hear the difference from guys that have actually compared both in the field. Assuming the CL1 is brighter? If so how does the physical size and weight compare?

As for scanning, I can say with many years of night hunting experience, a head mounted light is the ONLY way to go. I love FoxPro callers but the handheld light IMO is a step backwards in night hunting.

I'm assuming you hunt alone? That would explain scanning with a headlamp.

I have been scanning with a headlamp for the last few years. It's great. But there are downsides. Seems like a well made product that might be worth switching over to try

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMOriginally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: NGI_TOMFor a scanning light, FOXPRO Fire Eye! Beats everything mentioned here in my opinion. For a weapon mounted light, Coyote Light. Let me know if you'd like a price on either or both.

I'm assuming you hunt alone? That would explain scanning with a headlamp.

Both but I also hunt a lot by myself. I carry a shotgun and rifle on every stand. In our part of the country your just as likely to shoot a grey fox at 20 yards in tall grass as a coyote at 250 in another open agriculture field. With a head mounted light it's easy to keep the shotgun in your hands and just shoot when the animal is in range and a weapon mounted light is not necessary on the shotgun. If I'm switching to the rifle in usually not in a rush so the transition is no biggie.

I'll quote you.......

Originally Posted By: Kino M
NGI_TOM said:

and then me.....

Originally Posted By: pmack
Scanning with hand held is like watching TV without out a remote, your just to stubborn to change your ways or too stupid to know what's easier and better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMFor a scanning light, FOXPRO Fire Eye! Beats everything mentioned here in my opinion. For a weapon mounted light, Coyote Light. Let me know if you'd like a price on either or both.

Why on the Fire Eye?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackI'll quote you.......

Originally Posted By: Kino M
NGI_TOM said:

and then me.....

Originally Posted By: pmack
Scanning with hand held is like watching TV without out a remote, your just to stubborn to change your ways or too stupid to know what's easier and better.

I'm not one that's to proud or stubborn to change when a better way or mousetrap comes along Pmack but if there's a better light I'm all ears.

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: NGI_TOMFor a scanning light, FOXPRO Fire Eye! Beats everything mentioned here in my opinion. For a weapon mounted light, Coyote Light. Let me know if you'd like a price on either or both.

Why on the Fire Eye?

Couple reasons I love it.

Lightweight. Battery life for days. Verticle handle is super comfy for all-night hunts. Trigger button on/off. Switch from red, green, amber and white light with the push of a button. Slider style rheostat at the rear for dimming. Adjustable beam. FOXPRO nailed it with this scanner. That's my opinion.

I've tried several and for me, Coyote Light, is the hands down winner. I have the new CL1, but prefer it for scanning and my older model for shooting. I find the CL1 to be slightly less bright but much smaller.

Last edited:
Do the Wicked Lights stack up at all with the Coyote Light? I run a cheap red light now and I do have success at night but really only out to 100 yards for identification. Eyes at about 300. I would like to have the coyote lit up well at 200 if I put the whole beam on it. Trying to decide to buy now.

I can't say anything bad about a Wicked or a Coyote light, have not even witnessed Coyote light in action but I will throw out another light to open up your options... Check out Predator Tactics lights. They have a Coyote Reaper in Amber that I use and love it. Not on the website but you can call them and get it or go through a local dealer to order one if wanted. Also have a light called the Nightmare that has 4 LED colors in one light. Very versatile light that can be scope mounted or scan with a handle they have available as well. I have used all of them and they are nice lights. Great company that stands behind their product, no questions asked. Check out the Reaper Torture test on YouTube(). I think you will be impressed with the durability, I sure was!

Originally Posted By: OGSixNeed some guys that have recently used some of these lights to help me out.

I've never used any of these lights. I do know a little about how they work. You can only drive an LED so hard before you generate too much heat for the light to dissipate. There's nothing magic about any of these lights to worry which one is better. They'll all illuminate your target so you can make the shot. If your losing sleep over which one to buy you'd be better off just grabbing one you like and lose sleep because you're out hunting.

Or you can listen to TXMAC who has 7 posts.

6 posts ago he says he's buying a Predator Tactics light. Some time after I assume he becomes a Predator Tactics Prostaffer.

Originally Posted By: TXMACI am about to order the Coyote Reaper by Predator Tactics. Beam can focus for longer shots and flood for less intensity. Easily interchangeable LED modules can get you from red to green or white in a matter of minutes. Kit comes with everything I need to mount the light and get going with it. I am upgrading from the Chinese knock-off that I have...tired of short battery life and inconsistency!

FYI..Battery life has nothing to do with the light it has to do with cheap batteries.

His next 5 post he plugs these lights.

Originally Posted By: TXMACI have heard good things about Wicked lights but I personally use the Coyote Reaper from Predator Tactics. You can buy a kit that comes with a Green LED and Red LED, they are easily interchangeable and it is a solid light. Zoomable light and you can customize your kit to whatever mounts you want to use. Check out their website www.predatortactics.us

Originally Posted By: TXMACWhile you are at it, check out the Buck Lantern from Predator Tactics. It has a single button to cycle through bright white, dim white and either red or green (your preference on order). Zoomable from flood to spot as well. Solid light that uses the rechargeable 18650's. Charges in the light so you don't have to worry about taking the batteries in and out ever. I am with these guys that have already posted... rechargables are the way to go no matter what light you go with. Much better performance in any platform.

Originally Posted By: TXMACCheck out the Buck Lantern from Predator Tactics. Zoomable light, three modes: low white, high white and Green/Red(however you choose to order). Good battery life for a long night of scanning and great company to stand behind the product if there are any issues. 1 year unconditional warranty... I recently saw a story where a guys dog chewed his light up and they replaced it free of charge.

Originally Posted By: TXMACLook into the Coyote Reaper by Predator Tactics. You can order a IR bulb that is interchangeable with the colored LED's. Same housing and easy switch. Plenty of accessories to mount any way you need to get it done. Green, Red, Amber, or white on the available colors. Zoomable light so you can flood it out for tight spots of tighten it up to reach out there if you have a more open spot to call. Great company that stands behind the products for sure. Check out the "Reaper Torture Test" on YouTube and I think that you will be impressed with the durability of the light!

Originally Posted By: TXMACI can't say anything bad about a Wicked or a Coyote light, have not even witnessed Coyote light in action but I will throw out another light to open up your options... Check out Predator Tactics lights. They have a Coyote Reaper in Amber that I use and love it. Not on the website but you can call them and get it or go through a local dealer to order one if wanted. Also have a light called the Nightmare that has 4 LED colors in one light. Very versatile light that can be scope mounted or scan with a handle they have available as well. I have used all of them and they are nice lights. Great company that stands behind their product, no questions asked. Check out the Reaper Torture test on YouTube(). I think you will be impressed with the durability, I sure was!

The vast majority of these lights are made in China. In fact at least 2 of the lights we regularly see here from PM sponsors come from the same supplier in China. There are cheap chinses knock offs but it's in the components and components can always be upgraded.

I bought a Sniper Hawg 50mm light to comapre it to one of the 50mm lights I bought out of China. It was 15% brighter than my stock 50mm light. I throw a new driver and LED and my light is now 25% brighter than the Sniper Hawg.....now you got to ask yourself who's using the cheap Chinese knock off???

Last edited:
I have 3 wicked lights, PT reaper & coyote light CL1. I only night hunt except for tournies. As of right now my wickeds sit on a shelf, the reaper is my kill light and my CL1 is my scan. The reaper imo is one of the best lights out coming in second to the CL. The reaper is lighter & smaller than all the rest. Throws out a beam farther than most will shoot at night. The CL1 imo is in a class by its self, the 26650 battery is a beast and i do not have to worry about it going dead after constant usage all night. Its way smaller than the original CL and is bright and again you can identify way further than you will shoot at night. Hope that helps a little.

Back