Closest Prairie Dogs to LeMars, IA

barometerbilly

We will be heading up to LeMars, IA this summer and was wondering if there were any PD near there? Where would be the closest place to head from there to find PD?

From IA,,,Southwestern South Dakota,,,,Most of the PDs are on Tribal land and you have to be really careful since you are usually required to have a Tribal guide with you and they are notorious for leaving in the middle of the day and if you get caught without one present, you can get a hefty fine by the Tribal Courts...There are some south central state grass lands that are free, but expect a lot of company if you are going to be there after mid June...Almost as bad as going deer hunting the first weekend of season...

When I was living in MO, some of us got lucky and got access to three adjoining ranches in SE Colorado, the largest was 75,000 acres and the rancher rented us his spare bunkhouse for $25 a night per person...even had TV, kitchen and shower...Since it was 35 miles from the nearest town, we packed in a lot of groceries for the week...

The problem with Colorado is that any public land east of I-25 is restricted for shooting PDs, so you have to be on private land...

I've lived all across NE and the furthest east would be north and or west of Grand Island a ways. All private land here so door knocking would be required and I'm not sure that would be the most productive with limited time.

I just looked on the map for Le Mars location....You might do just a well to drop down into Central and SW Kansas....The Cimarron Grass Lands in the SW has a lot of PDs and Kansas has a Walk In program that quite a few farmers/ranchers have signed up for where you don't need permission, but get a map of the participating properties from the state conservation dept...

We were headed for SE Colorado and stopped in a small farmer/rancher (usually spotted by the number and condition of pickups in the parking lot) restaurant and were invited by several to shoot on their land to help get rid of the PDs....If we didn't already have a commitment for the ranch where we were headed, we would have probably taken them up on the offer...I don't remember if this was on the outskirts of Dodge City or Garden City...

Originally Posted By: 1FoxNo dogs any place in Iowa. Wyoming is going to have the best shooting but its all on private property.

Not true. Been shooting lots of public land dogs in WY the last 3 years.

Wyoming is over 70% public. Get a gazetteer or a chip for your GPS and learn it. Know where you are at. There are a ton of places to shoot Sage rats and Richardson ground squirrels in Wyoming. Nebraska has Rats starting around Kearney Nebraska. You can go North of there and start asking permission. A couple buddy's of mine shot rats around Burwell. The gateway to the sandhills. If you are ambitious and not shy you'll find someone to give you permission. Good Luck!!

Back