Anybody use Hornady 6.5 129 gr SST on Mule Deer

17freak

Loading my 264 WinMag for an upcoming Mule Deer hunt and was wondering if this bullet will blow up on the side of the deer due to the plastic tip. Also how's the penetration if encountering heavy bone.
Thanks

Haven't shot it at a deer, did get an elk with that bullet. 6.5 Creedmore, 200yds down hill about 40 degrees. It hit right at the top of the shoulder blade and dropped him. Hit a part of the spine and exploded. I had to finish him when I got down to him but it did not blow up on the blade.

I loaded them in my 264 Win and they are pretty soft for the speeds. I went with the 140amax. I was shooting coyotes though. The sst made massive holes especially on shoulder hits the Amax definitely heldo together better

The reason I'm asking is because I have shot an elk with a Nosler BT in 7MM 150 grains and had similar experience with bullet blow up on the shoulder/spine area. Only thing recovered was the jacket. You guys have confirmed my fears. Will go with a 140 spire point I know that will hold together.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243I loaded them in my 264 Win and they are pretty soft for the speeds. I went with the 140amax. I was shooting coyotes though. The sst made massive holes especially on shoulder hits the Amax definitely heldo together better

SAME HERE.
I went to the 140 Amax also, but it was for the longer range. This year I am using the 143 ELDX. Trying to see if they do what the say they'll do.

I haven't used the 129 SST. But did load 130 gr. Hornady Interlock for my 6.5 Creedmoor for mule deer and antelope in Wyoming. Shots were on quartering animals at 100 to 150 yards. On both animals the bullet struck a rib on entry and blew up! 3" entry hole with a lot of blood shock. Going back to Nosler AccuBonds. They have always performed well for me.

I would be leery of that bullet at the higher speeds of the Win Mag. I shoot them in my 6.5x55, which I have used to complete one shot kills on several mule deer, whitetails, pronghorn antelope, and hogs. However, my load pushes them at the more modest velocities that I believe they are designed for. In my otherwise limited experience with them at higher impact velocities I have seen them behave just like big Vmaxes. For that larger case, I would try Interbonds or the 140s you are considering.

Back