Otters?

Rock Knocker

I just visited a chunk of public land less than 20 minutes from me that some how I have overlooked the last couple years. And what a furry honey hole!

I was surprised to find these all over the swampy lake.

Am I correct that these are otter tracks, I thought I could be mistaken if they were beaver. I tried to get a close up of the foot prints but my flash was on and the snow totally blinded the shot then my battery died.

I've run into otter tracks one other time, and that was a couple tracks years ago along a river. Too dang bad otter trapping season ended earlier this month. I also found the largest beaver lodge I have ever seen, I didn't walk right up to it but from 100 yards away I could tell it was taller than I am. I would guess it was at least 6.5 feet tall and according to google earth it is 21 feet wide. Beaver season is still on so I may borrow a couple 330 conibears from a buddy and sink them around the lodge. On the other side of the lake I also found open water that was running from a larger lake to this swamp, it's probably the only open water in miles and it was a highway of tracks.

Back