Shotgun chokes showin in patterns, Imp cyl to custom-50 yards!

ackleyman

Kicks Buck-Kicker Buckshot Choke, 50 yards, WOW!

bone collector choke tube, 50 yards, WOW!

Trulock's Boar-Blaster Choke #00 & #000 Pattern Test

Last edited:
There is no way he can shoot at 50 yards and use that pattern to then say that at 100 yards that will be a killing pattern. No way... If he wants to see what the pattern looks like at 100 yards he has to shoot at 100 yards. Patterns fall apart quickly on the backside of 50+ yards. I've seen him shoot at deer at 80 - 100 yards on video with no effect and no kill.

Seems like a stretch to me, also. I am wondering if 00 stays together tighter than #4 that I am used to shooting.

I am sure that he will make a follow up video on his own buckshot loads in those chokes.

The Carlson's turkey choke in my 11/87 is a 15-20" pattern at 40 yards, I have not patterned it any further.

I really don't care much about shooting a shotgun further than 50-60 yards on the long side, but long range shot gun shooting is a curiosity that I have.

The Ithaca 10ga with 57 pellets of #4 was an awesome performer, but even then in high dessert, your shots did not get that far until you had multiples running in on you, 60 yards was as far as I wanted to shoot even then.

I think that in the Video, deer a whole lot larger than a coyote...and maybe 4 pellets of 00 will kill them? I don't know.

I don't think that there is a limit on deer where Wade and his crowd is hunting, or the limit is so high, 15 or so. There is no one checking the deer in and counting in his area in SC.

50 yards or so is my limit, I just don't like wounding coyotes, even though I know they need killing.

I was shocked to see that 00 patterning as well as it did at 50 yards.

What I took away from the video was very good patterns at 50 yards, now to try some Rem 3" 41 pellet #4 buck with some chokes and see if I can duplicate that great pattern.

The comparison between an imp cyl and what ever that choke that they were using was impressive.

Last edited:
I watched the new videos you added. I think he is very "optimistic" about some of those results. Mr. Bubba speaks of killing deer at 100 meters and beyond, which is over 109 yards, and then calls a 50 meter pattern scattered across what looks like a 30" long piece of paper "awesome." I wonder why he doesn't pattern at 100 meters if he plans on shooting that far? I have an idea but I'll keep that to myself. I also know you can't count on one shot as reliable data. You also can't use a 50 meter pattern to guess what will happen at twice that distance. Like I said previously, patterns fall apart quick at those longer ranges. Hunting with dogs means wounded deer get bayed up and the hunters can locate them for a finisher. My guess is he has some really good deer dogs. And grinds those wounded and chased around deer into burger and sausage. Otherwise I think even the gravy would be tough from those buggered up deer. Without dogs there would be a lot of wounded deer out there.

I know that sounds critical, and I guess it is. I do applaud his work at loading shells and patterning his guns and chokes. I'm betting deer within 60-ish yards are in immediate and dire trouble when those boys cut loose. However, at the 100 meter range he keeps referring to it seems to be purely in the hands of providence if a magic pellet or two hits in the front half of a deer.

Bubba's above video was posted on Trap Shooters .com. There was not one good comment said about what is in this video.

The stuff he says and does in this video are crazy and could be very dangerous. This is not a good video for people to learn anything from.

Mixed steel shot in sizes #6 to #10?

I don't expect that many trap shooters shoot steel, that is why there is no comment.

He is loading 21g of Red dot with a 7/8 oz pay load, absolutely no way that load could generate any kind of pressure in any 2 3/4" hull.

The question that I posted to Wade was whether or not Steel in a WW aa12 wad was ok, I have never loaded steel, but have shot a gazillion AA hulls loaded with 21g of Red Dot with 1 1/8 oz of 9, 8, and 7 1/2's for skeet leagues.

I am familiar with most of those hulls he used, they all have similar case capacities and that load is no where near max in any of them.

I have my favorites of those hulls. I was at That same shoot they were at. We were there also going through the dumpsters, I picked up Green Remington STS, gold Remington Premiere, and Black Remington Club. We got about a 55 gallon drum of clean Fiocchhi Hulls that are very good for 1 3/8 oz to 1 1/2 oz lead loads.

I did not see Wade do anything dangerous, but the practice of not going by a single load recipe out of a loading manual is not politically correct. Wade is far from a beginner reloading. The load that he used is safe in all of those hulls, not to worry, although some of the crimps were not good. I would go to a Fed PC3 on some of those hulls where the crimp was starting to cave in a little, and a Remington RXP wad on the ones where the space was making the crimp pooch out a little.

Down where Wade lives, there is a tremendous swamp and Wood Ducks are thick as fleas down there, which is why I think he has steel shot on hand. There is not one thing dangerous on mixing shot sizes, he probably got a deal on it for that very reason.

I am concerned about shooting steel shot in Win AA wads, but the size shot he is shooting is very tiny. I would trust Wade's judgment, he is no dummy and takes care of his guns. I suspect that small size steel shot is very different than large size steel shot when it comes to the demands on the thickness of a wad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCThere is no way he can shoot at 50 yards and use that pattern to then say that at 100 yards that will be a killing pattern. No way... If he wants to see what the pattern looks like at 100 yards he has to shoot at 100 yards. Patterns fall apart quickly on the backside of 50+ yards. I've seen him shoot at deer at 80 - 100 yards on video with no effect and no kill.

I agree!

Here is classic example of shooting too far with buckshot:

The shooting starts at frame 11:40

Recovery starts at 15:50

At "110 yards" six rounds were fired at this deer. When the deer was finally found it appeared to have one hit in the lungs by a single pellet and three pellets in the paunch and hind quarter. From my point of view, that was simply a lucky hit at a range far beyond any reasonable certainty of placing a lethal pattern on target.

Last edited:

Shooting too far again - this time a standing "150 yard" shot with 000B!

Forward to frame 17.05 for the shot.

"If...had held a little bit higher, he might of got that deer."

He had buckshot all over that deer! I saw buckshot all over about a 25 yard area. Amazing...

From a hunter's perspective, there is something to be said for choke tubes that deliver tight patterns of heavier buckshot payloads whether commercial or a product of the handloaders bench.

The latest is a step choke tubes design for 00 buckshot from the Georgia based firm of Trulock Chokes.

Last edited:
Back