rubbed coyotes

Originally Posted By: LinedogIt's called the mange . It is a parisite that ittches the coyote so he rubs his hair off

Late season rubbing is different than mange....

Originally Posted By: wolftrapperAny thing that strips guard hair from the animal, thins the fur. Brush is a constant. Yes, I imagine mating takes it's toll too, as does freezing to the snow. The rubbing from the snow is usually on top of the rump. I had a real problem with that in Alaskan fox. They would sit in snow, and leave hairs frozen in it when they stand up. In any case, yes, you can find individual animals that still have good fur in Feb. and March, but the majority will not grade well. Coyotes that spend most of their time in stubble, or alfalfa fields lose less than coyotes in brushy areas. It's simply wear and tear. That's why they need to grow new fur every year, to keep from going bald!

Yup, all wild animals go through this. Deer used to be hunted for their hides in the spring and early summer.

Starting to see some rubbed. Typically see a lot of it by mid Feb. I don't often hunt them after Feb., but do still call a lot just to take their pictures and fur looks pretty bad on all of them by March around here.

- DAA

Lots of ideas on this "rubbed" topic.

There are plenty of things that cause hair loss. I've seen many coyotes here with thin areas on the top of their shoulders and neck. Most of these are caused by ticks and fleas . Just think of a dog when it sits on it's rear and gets that back leg going, scratching away around those hard to reach areas where it's collar would be.

Mange (micro parasite)is another problem , not a seasonal issue though , as they have it year around. In it's early stage,it does give a rubbed look. It get's more matted looking and then really bad crusty skin with little hair at all. Seen some that have skin that looks more like an alligator.

The mid to late winter (mating season) is what causes a lot of the "rubbed" hides that fur buyers don't want. Many things bring this on, the first being males fighting over females for breeding rights. A big one is the actual mating itself. The whole rump area and back of females and inner thigh and belly area of the males.

I've tracked hundreds of coyotes and fox over the years , I always check sigh along the way. I've seen a hair now and then in the thickest brush you can still crawl through. Field tiles and road culverts metal, concrete and plastic , will claim a few hairs from going in and out. More so on dry ones that fox will den in. Beds.... I have looked at plenty of them as well. Areas with plenty of grass and snow don't claim much hair due to melt and freeze from body heat. Years with lots of ice more and crusty snow will claim a bit more hair. I see this on female coyote and more so on fox that lay out in the wide open farm fields during breeding season.

As warmer weather (spring) approaches they will start shedding their winter fur . Plenty of animals do this, predators, deer, elk, bear, etc....

Just a few things I've gathered along the way growing up as a trapper and fur hunter.
cool.gif

LIKE I SAID THEIR HAIR STOPS GROWING AROUND DECEMBER TO GET READY FOR SPRING AND WARMER WEATER.mange is totally different they go through cycles every year it is natures way so they can cope with changes.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterLIKE I SAID THEIR HAIR STOPS GROWING AROUND DECEMBER TO GET READY FOR SPRING AND WARMER WEATER.mange is totally different they go through cycles every year it is natures way so they can cope with changes.

NO REASON TO SHOUT !
lol.gif

PS.. we never get so much snow the coyotes stay above the brush here. Even if we did they still have to dig through it for mice and rabbits.
wink.gif

They are thinning here in western Montana.. local buyer has called it for the year.. killed a big female Sunday and her hips were thinned out.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisThey rub from Screwing!!!

inside the thighs, crotch area and on the belly for the males, the top of the back and the outside of the back thighs of the females.

Not the sage brush.

I only wish I had hair loss from too much of this......................

Originally Posted By: trimble s6Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisThey rub from Screwing!!!

inside the thighs, crotch area and on the belly for the males, the top of the back and the outside of the back thighs of the females.

Not the sage brush.

I only wish I had hair loss from too much of this......................

Tell "him" to take it a little faster!!

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: lyotehunterLIKE I SAID THEIR HAIR STOPS GROWING AROUND DECEMBER TO GET READY FOR SPRING AND WARMER WEATER.mange is totally different they go through cycles every year it is natures way so they can cope with changes.

NO REASON TO SHOUT !
lol.gif

PS.. we never get so much snow the coyotes stay above the brush here. Even if we did they still have to dig through it for mice and rabbits.
wink.gif
I just left the caps. On and did not see it until I finished the thought and did not change no shouting here.

sold coyotes again yesterday. The fur buyer has one more trip planned through here for sure in two weeks and probably one more trip after that, depending...
I've had a few that were rubbed so far but he still bought them because they weren't trashed..... yet.

Back