Considering a Glock 19.

Jay Cummings

I know this isn't a handgun forum but thought there might be some of you more knowledgeable than me on this topic since I'm not a big handgun guy. I do own a Springfield 1911 A1 in .40 cal and have shot it quite abit though. Just nothing I want to carry. I like the feel of the Glock 19 and I am just wanting a 9mm and thought this might make a good carry weapon. Your thoughts?

Do it! The G19 is a remarkable combination of just the right size, weight, capacity, shoot ability, ruggedness and power. I'm not a Glock guy per say, I only own three, a Gen 4 G19 9mm, Gen 3 G20SF 10mm and a G30s .45 ACP. In striker fired poly frame guns I guess I'm a Smith & Wesson M&P guy but I'm surprised how often the Glocks sneak into the carry role. Not too long ago my son saw me packing my G19 and he commented on it by saying, "I thought you didn't really like Glocks?" And I don't really but the G19 is a hard combination to ignore. And the G30s fits my G19 holsters so it's all good.
smile.gif

It's probably one of the more popular Concealed Carry pistols....Totally reliable under stress (nothing to remember except point and shoot), compact enough to conceal easily, and there were times when I was shooting a lot of GSSF competitions that my times and scores were better with the 19 than the 17, even though the 17 has a slightly longer sight radius...

With the wide range of 9mm ammo on the market, you are only limited by your personal desires and needs...The G19 will handle everything from the high speed 95gr to the 147gr and the 19 allows you to carry 15+1 in the weapon..

With the wide range of 9mm ammo on the market, you are only limited by your personal desires and needs...The G19 will handle everything from the high speed 95gr to the 147gr and the 19 allows you to carry 15+1 in the weapon..

I love the G19. Carries well,shoots a lot better than me. I also have a G32 in .357 sig that is the same size as the G19. Stay with the 115-124 bullets. I don't like the way the 147's hit water jugs. Not near as spectacular as the 115-124 gr. The 147's shoot good but I would rather stay in the lighter range. Carry a spare mag and you have 31 rounds or put a G17 mag as a spare for mor ammo. You will like the G19. Have a G43 that carries well also. Use it in my dress pants in the summer. Glocks are hard to beat.

Can't go wrong with the 19. There are many as good and not many better. I, personally, am lusting after the Walther PPQ right now which is another you may want to have a look at.

I concur with all these comments, especially Bowhunt.

I bought a H&K VP9, but I tried a Glock 19, and 17. I liked both and they shot well for me. So did a S&W Compact.

The VP9 and PPQ are brothers from a different mother.

The only thing better than a Glock 19 is a Glock 19 MOS with the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro on top and a magazine full of Hornady critical duty 135gr+P. I can reliably ring 10 inch steel plates at a hundred yards off of my bench rest. This is quite possibly the perfect all-around carry gun!

IMG_20160831_083814853_zpsvw4n3cjv.jpg

I have a Gen4 19 and a Gen3 17. I am in the minority, but I like the 17 better. The 17 feels and shoots better for me. I feel I can't get a good grip on the 19 like I can the 17. There isn't much difference in size for concealed carry so I take the 17 most of the time.

I have a G19 and it just sits in the safe because I got a Sig P320 compact 9 mm for me it's a lot better more accurate and points much better. I shoot better with it. It's the same size as a19 holds the Same amount of rounds. It has a 1911 grip angle(I think) feels better in my hand. You get it I really like it. I think the Army just picked it to replace the M-9. Might want to take a look.
MasterBlaster

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lovetohuntI have a Gen4 19 and a Gen3 17. I am in the minority, but I like the 17 better. The 17 feels and shoots better for me. I feel I can't get a good grip on the 19 like I can the 17. There isn't much difference in size for concealed carry so I take the 17 most of the time.

Same here. I had a 19 for a while, but found the 17 was more comfortable for me and I shot better with it.

I too have both. I shoot my 17 along. It fits my hand better than the 19. I ordered some pierce mag extensions. I think that'll help a lot. The 19 is rediculous accurate with my 147gr reloads though. It's a sweet shooting pistol. If it felt good. Get it.

I like Glocks-alot. I do not own a 17, but it would be my choice for a range gun. I am 5'6" and weigh 125#. I carry a Glock 26 in summer, and a Glock 19 in winter. Heavy winter clothing allows me to do an OK job of concealing it. I also have a Glock 42, 43, and 30 SF. If I had to pick one all around, range, carry, home defense gun, it would be the Glock 19. Fits my small mitt pretty well, a good number of rounds (for home defense you can use a Glock 17 mag in it for even more firepower), and I as well as most everyone else seems to shoot it well. There's no safety for myself or less experienced shooters to remember in a high stress situation. All my Glocks get a 3.5# Ghost disconnector and TruGlo TFO sights.

Do it! I was a pistol snob for some time and only after spending a couple hours shooting a buddies 19 did I come to appreciate them. It is now my favorite do all pistol. Never leave home without it

I have had 4 Glock 19 pistols, including the ported model. I also had the G17, G26, and a Glock 34. Also had a few models in .40 and .45 caliber. Don't have any Glocks at present. The G19 is arguably the most popular carry gun around. If you like the ergonomics, go for it. As other have pointed out, the VP9 and Sig 320 are also great guns.

The only mid-size pistol I have is a highly customized Colt Lwt. Commander in .38 Lapua (Super Comp). After carrying boat anchors for years, my sciatic nerve threw in the towel. Now I only carry compact guns. At present I use an M&P 9mm Shield. Thinking about the G43.

I have a G32 which the same size as the 19 only in 357sig, a G31 which is the same size as the 17 in 357sig and a G17 tricked out to shoot competitions. When I carry concealed it's always a CZ P07. Thinner grip, better trigger and way more accurate for me. I really like the ability to shoot single action if I want and the CZ gives me that option. If I to get rid of the CZ's I would probably get the Sig P320
The G 19 is a good gun, I just have a hard time with the grip angle.

This may or may not be helpful, hopefully it is, as I'm an anti-fanboy of Glock, but I still carry one....

I have a hate/love relationship with Glocks. I'm a stainless steel guy, all metal guy, high caliber guy... But... I received a Gen 2 G19 a bit over 10yrs ago as part of a contracted munitions development project, and even though "I hate Glocks," I LOVE how reliable, accurate, easy shooting, easy operating, durable, they are. I still use that G19 as my nightstand gun every night, and often carry it as my "almost EDC" piece. I've used it in over a hundred hours of combat pistol courses, fired thousands upon thousands of rounds through it for IDPA shoots, offered it for use for many of my handgun class students... I still hate the idea, but I love that I don't have to think of anything else other than a Glock for my defensive needs. I have a gaggle of other handguns, M&P's, Sig's, 1911's, Rugers, Beretta's, Walthers, and revolvers by the truckload, but I know all of my Glocks will do what I need done, so whether I like them or not, I love having them.

In 9mm, I have the 17, 19, 43, and 34, most often I do my shooting with one of my 19's.

I'm sure it would serve you well. I have and carried a G23 for a long while. I had a G26 but sold it when I got my Shield. For me, I'm just a lot more comfortable with a single stack. So I carry the Shield or a 1911 in 10mm most of the time but still grab the G23 if I'm going into a particularly questionable area.

I have a 26 and love it. I will probably get a 19 someday too but I would be surprised if it replaced the 26 as my primary carry choice.

Back