103 yard coyote taken with Reminton 12 guage HD BB! Dose anyone offer this shot anymore???

Dultimatpredator

If I knew the coyote was that far yesterday I would have never pulled the trigger. It was number three for the morning. 30 seconds into the call a nice size female ran in and stopped facing me with a head only shot. All I could see was its head looking at me with its body covered by a bush. When I put the bead on its head the bead was bigger than its head...at that time I knew it was farther than 65 yards but figured it was going to run since it was staring at me. So I shot, the yote dropped! It flopped a couple times and then got up and spun. I shot again and knocked it down again. It laid there lifting its head up and down for about a minute and I figured it would expire so I kept calling. About a few minutes into my call it got up on its front legs and was slowly dragging its back legs...I broke both of its back legs in several places with the second shot and paralyzed in the middle of its back. I had my partner with the AR 10 jump up from his spot and fishin it off instead of me walking up and shooting it again. I was using my beretta silver mallard a390 with a kicks .670. Dose anyone offer remington HD 3" bb in 12 guage anymore or the loose shot so I can reload it? I get 8 pellets in a 6" circle at 50 yards!!! Has anyone over knocked a yote down at this distance with a shotgun?

Last edited:
The longest shot I have even heard of with a shotgun was a guy at my gun club said he killed a turkey at 80 yards. I thought that was a he11 of a shot. Yours tops his for sure!!!!!

First, you understand that was an anomaly and you can't expect that type performance routinely? Second, no unfortunately the HD isn't offered anymore. It was an amazing shot shell loading. My son and I were calling one frosty morning and he crippled a bobcat that came to the call. The cat was hobbling away and my son couldn't see it after the first crippling shot. I could but I had my shotgun and by the time I could get a shot the cat was about 80 yards. I wouldn't have shot at an unwounded animal that far but I surely didn't want to have this cat get away. I fired the first load of HD-BB and the cat went about three feet in the air and did a half backflip. It was thrashing around and sort of sat up and I gave it another load and the cat flopped. That's as far as I've killed anything with the load but it broke bones on that 22 pound cat at that distance. I still don't stretch the range that far on healthy animals but I do appreciate the performance of the load if you can manage to get enough pellets in the vitals.

I've killed several well past 60 and 70 shooting 3"OO thru a factory full when we used to run hounds. Never patterned the gun. It was all point and shoot. so I'm sure the pure weight of stray OO pellets wondered their way into the coyotes. Most of them would get broke down in the back end and the dogs would end up catching them

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorIf I knew the coyote was that far yesterday I would have never pulled the trigger. It was number three for the morning. 30 seconds into the call a nice size female ran in and stopped facing me with a head only shot. All I could see was its head looking at me with its body covered by a bush. When I put the bead on its head the bead was bigger than its head...at that time I knew it was farther than 65 yards but figured it was going to run since it was staring at me. So I shot, the yote dropped! It flopped a couple times and then got up and spun. I shot again and knocked it down again. It laid there lifting its head up and down for about a minute and I figured it would expire so I kept calling. About a few minutes into my call it got up on its front legs and was slowly dragging its back legs...I broke both of its back legs in several places with the second shot and paralyzed in the middle of its back. I had my partner with the AR 10 jump up from his spot and fishin it off instead of me walking up and shooting it again. I was using my beretta silver mallard a390 with a kicks .670. Dose anyone offer remington HD 3" bb in 12 guage anymore or the loose shot so I can reload it? I get 8 pellets in a 6" circle at 50 yards!!! Has anyone over knocked a yote down at this distance with a shotgun?

Bucks Run Sports Supply has HW13 BB shot that is about the same thing as Remington HD BB shot. They also have the SAM 1 wads and the Reloading Heavyweight Shot Reloader's Guide.

You have to call Bucks Run they don't have a web-site that is up and running.
1-507-356-2195

And we're off, it never disappoints...
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Strudy6810ga with 4buck very consistent knock downs at a 100 yds

you should use bb like the guy above. you could gain 3 yards.

LOL...

Lol... my browning gold 10 gauge can't hold a pattern with #4 buck past 40 yards. I don't expect to ever take a shot at 103 yards again with my 12 gauge and wouldnt have attempted it if i knew it was that far. The reason for this post was to let posters know how awsome the old HD BB shot is and hope they bring it back some day. I'm sure it wouldn't be consistent at this distance...and I can tell you first hand I did take a third shot at it and watched all the pattern hit the dirt about 10 before it. I'm sure I got lucky but apparently if you connect at this range its hits hard enough to brake bones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorLol... my browning gold 10 gauge can't hold a pattern with #4 buck past 40 yards. I don't expect to ever take a shot at 103 yards again with my 12 gauge and wouldnt have attempted it if i knew it was that far. The reason for this post was to let posters know how awsome the old HD BB shot is and hope they bring it back some day. I'm sure it wouldn't be consistent at this distance...and I can tell you first hand I did take a third shot at it and watched all the pattern hit the dirt about 10 before it. I'm sure I got lucky but apparently if you connect at this range its hits hard enough to brake bones.

Normally I am not a ball buster, but... If you know your shotty doesn't pattern well past forty and took a shot at 100 ????

But you really didn't know it was that far???

I saw a friend shot a Blackbird with a 22 LR in flight when I was a teenager. We just both shrugged our shoulders..... Not real smart (bullet trajectory) or repeatable...

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: DultimatpredatorLol... my browning gold 10 gauge can't hold a pattern with #4 buck past 40 yards. I don't expect to ever take a shot at 103 yards again with my 12 gauge and wouldnt have attempted it if i knew it was that far. The reason for this post was to let posters know how awsome the old HD BB shot is and hope they bring it back some day. I'm sure it wouldn't be consistent at this distance...and I can tell you first hand I did take a third shot at it and watched all the pattern hit the dirt about 10 before it. I'm sure I got lucky but apparently if you connect at this range its hits hard enough to brake bones.

Normally I am not a ball buster, but... If you know your shotty doesn't pattern well past forty and took a shot at 100 ????

But you really didn't know it was that far???

I saw a friend shot a Blackbird with a 22 LR in flight when I was a teenager. We just both shrugged our shoulders..... Not real smart (bullet trajectory) or repeatable...

I didn't use my 10 gauge... if you would have read the posts from the beginning you would have saw I used a 12 gauge beretta that put 8 pellets inside a 6" circle at 50 yards...and I've dropped dogs at 65 yards with it. And no I didnt know it was that far but the bottom line is I dropped the dog at that distance and HD BB shot is the bomb! Would I take a shot that far again, not if I know its that far especially now that I ran out of this discontinued HD round and am back to using softer copper plated BBs.

Last edited:
I would definitely spend a lot of time trying to track down some ammunition or components of said ammunition that required 3 shots to be fatal.

Originally Posted By: GWHunterNot to hijack but do you guys think the added recoil and expense of going with a 10 over a 12 is worth it in performance? Probably not unless your hunting geese, but you can always get reduced 10 gauge loads that work great in the old double barrel 10s, but modern 12 gauges will do everything you need a shotgun to do.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorIf I knew the coyote was that far yesterday I would have never pulled the trigger. It was number three for the morning. 30 seconds into the call a nice size female ran in and stopped facing me with a head only shot. All I could see was its head looking at me with its body covered by a bush. When I put the bead on its head the bead was bigger than its head...at that time I knew it was farther than 65 yards but figured it was going to run since it was staring at me. So I shot, the yote dropped! It flopped a couple times and then got up and spun. I shot again and knocked it down again. It laid there lifting its head up and down for about a minute and I figured it would expire so I kept calling. About a few minutes into my call it got up on its front legs and was slowly dragging its back legs...I broke both of its back legs in several places with the second shot and paralyzed in the middle of its back. I had my partner with the AR 10 jump up from his spot and fishin it off instead of me walking up and shooting it again. I was using my beretta silver mallard a390 with a kicks .670. Dose anyone offer remington HD 3" bb in 12 guage anymore or the loose shot so I can reload it? I get 8 pellets in a 6" circle at 50 yards!!! Has anyone over knocked a yote down at this distance with a shotgun?

Shooting a Coyote twice and having to have an AR 10 to finish it is not what I would call "dropped right there"

Also 8 BB's at fifty is a long way from 103 yards....

You are correct though, I went back and read the whole thing and I am amazed.....

Back