Where do you zero your AR-15 .223 using typical 55gr ammo?

I didn't see it mentioned the problem you have with an ar is sight height. It's about double what you have with a bolt gun. Mine is about 3". You have to be careful at about 180 yards if you have a shot that is 2" high at 100 you could shoot over the coyote easily. I personally sight in no more than 1.25 high at 100. It leaves me about 3" low at 300 yards.

Save yourself some grief and zero at 100. Around here because of brush and weeds, many times all you have to shoot at is a head. In the heat of battle, you will center your crosshairs up on the head, pull the trigger, and send a bullet right over his head, if your sighted in high.

I ran into the sight height issue too I think. After zeroing +2" at 100yds my AR was hitting 4" high at 200yds. I adjusted the scope to be dead on at 200yds, it ended up putting me +1" at 100yds. I'm running a 20" DPMS Prairie Panther and 55gr V max's at 2962fps with a Burris PEPR mount and 2.5-10x50 Bushnell 3200 Firefly.

I think I'm going to move that scope to another upper I have soon and put my Vortex Diamondback 4-12x on the DPMS. It has the dead hold reticle and with a 200yds zero the hash marks should work for 250yds, 350yds, and 425yds with my ballistics. I'll try it once I get the scope mounted and zeroed. I don't see shooting past 300 much with the AR though, if I think shots over 200 are a strong possibility I'll be carrying a bolt gun and shooting a bigger bullet faster.

It's darn sure worth chronographing your ammo too. I got real frustrated with my first 223 20" bolt rifle on longer shots before putting it on paper past 100yds. I later borrowed a chronograph and learned the 55gr Ballistic Tip Ultramax loads I was shooting were only moving about 2750fps. I have found few factory 223 loads are as fast as advertised even with a longer barrel.

Last edited:
Back