How many states allow night hunting? Tennessee folks, looky here!

CA we can hunt predators at night.No light is allowed to be connected to the gun not sure about lighting from a truck,Electronic callers can be used on, crow, bobcat ,coyotes

here in maine youcan hunt yotes at night from Dec. till June..i think its june. But thats it the only thing you can night hunt but you can hunt them year round.

Originally Posted By: rprinceWhat kind of regulations are you proposing sparrowhawk?

In general, allow hunting of predators, including feral pigs which are apparently becoming a big problem, at night using white lights, red lights or NVD. Coyotes and pigs year round, others in season. Allow use of mouthblown and e-callers, and perhaps use of bait.

The coyote and pigs are having a bad effect of deer, turkey and quail and if they expect hunters to have a serious effect they need to pull out the stops.

The idea of a yearly fee certainly has merit, am not opposed to bounties (which could come in the form of points to get drawn for an elk tag on Royal Blue, hmmmm).

Open to any ideas.

It's so close to their annual meeting it may be too late this year, but if we start planning NOW and talking to individual commissioners it could come to fruition by next year.

Commission needs to talk to we hunters as much as they listen to TWRA in my opinion. We are the paying customers and they want to maintain or increase our numbers. These are hunting regulations not laws...

And I can tell you from experience that the Legislature doesn't listen to law enforcement officers very much when it comes to creating laws; they listen to the public.

So, that's kind of a double standard, ain't it?

Last edited:
In Kentucky you can hunt coyotes year round day or night. From feb1st to may31st you can use a light but not attached to a vehicle and shotgun only at night.

Sparrowhawk. I just had a farmer call our local state rep and he is gonna be contacting the TWRA regarding some problems my buddy has been having with them killing calfs lately at night and see if the rep can get something also. This is who we need to get to contact TWRA commission. They will listen to state lawmakers. Trust me I'm on this also

Originally Posted By: JeepyjerCA we can hunt predators at night.No light is allowed to be connected to the gun not sure about lighting from a truck,Electronic callers can be used on, crow, bobcat ,coyotes
Not exaccly correct,
In Zones 1 and 2, a weapon-mounted light of any size could be used so long as it was not a prohibited device (as described under the FGC, section 2005[c]). A weapon-mounted light would not be lawful in the Balance of the State Zone. In the Balance of the State, lights must be a maximum of 9-volts with self-contained batteries, and must be either hand-held or worn on your head (CCR, Title 14, section 264.5).

https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2009/12/

All things considered Cali. isn't that bad no caliber restrictions but no suppressors. some goffy light regs. no light areas, 6,9, and 12 volt light areas. some areas you can have a weapon mounted light and others you can't. No shooting from a vehicle mounted platform. And no night vision.
Quote: §264. Use of Lights While Hunting--Specific Areas.
•(a) Lights of any size or voltage may be used to take furbearing or nongame mammals only in the areas described in subsections (b) and (c) below, and only under the following conditions: ◦(1) The use of lights for night hunting is prohibited in any area where the general deer season is open.
◦(2) Furbearing mammals and nongame mammals may be taken with the aid of a spotlight or other artificial light operated from a vehicle provided such vehicle is stopped and standing with the motor off. No spotlight may be used from a vehicle which is on a public road or highway.

Richard

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JmoSparrowhawk. I just had a farmer call our local state rep and he is gonna be contacting the TWRA regarding some problems my buddy has been having with them killing calfs lately at night and see if the rep can get something also. This is who we need to get to contact TWRA commission. They will listen to state lawmakers. Trust me I'm on this also

I would love to see a night season get implemented. Fortunately for me, I live right on the TN/KY line so I do hunt Ky's night season. Though it would be really nice to hunt my TN ground at night!

Originally Posted By: hntnnutOriginally Posted By: JeepyjerCA we can hunt predators at night.No light is allowed to be connected to the gun not sure about lighting from a truck,Electronic callers can be used on, crow, bobcat ,coyotes
Not exaccly correct,
In Zones 1 and 2, a weapon-mounted light of any size could be used so long as it was not a prohibited device (as described under the FGC, section 2005[c]). A weapon-mounted light would not be lawful in the Balance of the State Zone. In the Balance of the State, lights must be a maximum of 9-volts with self-contained batteries, and must be either hand-held or worn on your head (CCR, Title 14, section 264.5).

https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2009/12/

All things considered Cali. isn't that bad no caliber restrictions but no suppressors. some goffy light regs. no light areas, 6,9, and 12 volt light areas. some areas you can have a weapon mounted light and others you can't. No shooting from a vehicle mounted platform. And no night vision.
Quote: §264. Use of Lights While Hunting--Specific Areas.
•(a) Lights of any size or voltage may be used to take furbearing or nongame mammals only in the areas described in subsections (b) and (c) below, and only under the following conditions: ◦(1) The use of lights for night hunting is prohibited in any area where the general deer season is open.
◦(2) Furbearing mammals and nongame mammals may be taken with the aid of a spotlight or other artificial light operated from a vehicle provided such vehicle is stopped and standing with the motor off. No spotlight may be used from a vehicle which is on a public road or highway.

Richard

The problem with that zone 1,2 nowhere on the dfw wedsite say's weapon mounted lights are allowed only that article has it.So I quess we are suppose to read in between the lines of section 264?

Last edited:
I'm looking to get this in writing but here is a email to a member of another site. Note that it refrences a correction to the CDFW Q&A Link I linked.

Quote:I recently emailed Northern Enforcement District Chief Michael Carion, asking for clarification on a seeming error or contradiction that appeared in a December 2009 DFG Q&A column wherein the DFG writer stated that weapons-mounted lights were allowed. http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/2009/12/Chief Carion just sent me this reply:Well, I finally had a chance to get to look at this and yes, it is a mess!There is a contradiction in the article and there is a mistake!The Fish and Game Code generally prohibits the use of lights and night vision equipment. It also prohibits the use of lights unless 'Hand Held"; however, there is an exception under 2005(d)(4)" for uses the Commission may authorize in regulation."The FGC regulations (Title 14) allows for lights in Zone 1(264( b )) and Zone 2 (264 ( c )). In these areas ONLY, the use of ANY light and ANY voltage may be used provided the deer season is not open and the light is not used from a vehicle that has the motor running, or is on a public road or highway. In these areas and under those conditions, the light may also be "weapon mounted" since it does not prohibit this system.In all other areas, the lights must be 9 volt or smaller and HAND HELD or WORN ON THE HEAD. The person MUST be on foot, must have self contained batteries, cannot be used from a vehicle. The only exception is with written permission of a landowner under depredation and requires DFG notification.I hope that clarifies the issue.Sorry about the confusion!Michael P. CarionLaw Enforcement DivisionNorthern Enforcement District Chief530-225-2361Fax (530) 225-2117(EDIT: At 4:20 PM I received an email from DFG Biologist C. Wilson indicating that she has corrected the error in her online Q&A column. So if you click the above link you will NOT see the wrong wording.)

Last edited:
NC you can hunt coyotes and hogs at night, year round, but not foxes or bobcats. You can't hunt foxes and bobcats with electronic calls in the daytime here either.

Originally Posted By: shanedoggonly racoons in season in the desert AZ, if i could spotlight predators, the strechers would be full even at $4 a yote pelt!!!
Night hunting is also allowed in AZ for coyotes and lions. Refer to the "Daylong Seasons" established for coyotes and lions in the 2016-2017 AZ hunting regulations.

AZ is artificial light only and the lights cannot be attached to or used from a motor vehicle. Electronic calls can be used. Hunting is restricted to GMU's with Daylong Seasons. Centerfire guns and shotguns are allowed. An AZ hunting license is required and big game tags for lions are available over the counter.

Originally Posted By: SparrowhawkDoes anyone have a list of all the states that allow calling, white/red lights and/or NVDs to hunt predators including feral hogs at night.

High Tech Redneck is an excellent source for night hunting info and a Predator Masters sponsor. High Tech Redneck has researched all 50 states for their night hunting requirements and posted them on their website. It is difficult to stay current with all the hunting regulations across the USA so they have also provided contact info for each state for more info. Here is the link:

A 50 State Guide to Night Hunting

Back