Suggestions for bolt action barrel threading

I have a GA Alpha and Dead Air Mask in jail, and a few in process form 1's. My AR's are good to go, but I don't have any threaded bolt actions. I have 4 rifles I'd like to do, and a Browning Buckmark that I'd like to thread. Here are the rifles;

Marlin 880S .22lr
Rem 700 22-250 VLS
Ruger M77 MK2 in .280 Rem
Rem 700 .338 WM

Prices I've found are all over, from $100 to $175. I do have someone someone local that might be able to do it, but I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet. Just wanted to get some options.

Make sure it's someone experienced in Class 3 threading for suppressors so the threads are concentric to the bore to prevent baffle strikes. I can't recall any reputable smiths in WI, but I sent my Tikka T3s to Travis @ TS Customs in Miller, SD. Chad @ Longrifles Inc in Sturgis, SD is arguably one of the best smiths out there. Class 3 Machining in Dallas has done countless barrels and he threads for only $50/rifle. He will thread any weapon (old, odd, rare, rifle, pistol, etc.).

I also had Travis at TS Customs do 2 Tikkas for me. I sent him just the barreled actions. He also makes thread protectors.

I've had about 15-20 done through Chad @ LRI, quick turn around time and more importantly quality work! Mention O'Neill Ops and he will give you a discount. 605.490.2561

I have had 2 precision rifles done by Jon Beanland, and then a whole bunch of other stuff done by Morgan Ritchie at Class 3 Machine in Dallas. Both are good to go.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI've had about 15-20 done through Chad @ LRI, quick turn around time and more importantly quality work! Mention O'Neill Ops and he will give you a discount. 605.490.2561

I've had one done by Chad so far. Good to know on the discount, might be sending four or five more in a few months.

- DAA

Had AJ BlackJack do mine in Austin Texas he does a lot of work for Silencer Shop also in Austin. Great Job!

For those that have used Class 3 Machining in Texas have you had any issues with the threads? I got my barrel back today and the threads seem much looser than threads I've had done elsewhere. Hoping it's not an issue

Should not be an issue as long as the shoulder is square to the bore, suppressor is tight to the shoulder and threads are cut centered to bore.

Is threading easy to mess up?? Reason I ask is some guys out in my area do it part time and are backed up a fair bit but they get good reviews and many trust them but you can tell they just don't do a ton due to normal day job and your definitely not a priority.

The other guys are new to town as our area is growing fast and they can get to us quickly seem to be good to talk to and not fly by night but it scares me I waited a long time to get my black hole custom barrel.

Any thoughts on this

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TV308Should not be an issue as long as the shoulder is square to the bore, suppressor is tight to the shoulder and threads are cut centered to bore.

It does lock up tight to the shoulder and is center. I don't know the technical terms but the grooves are just deeper than what I've had before so it threads on and off easily. I just hope it doesn't allow it to come loose easily

Back