No electronic call needed!

Jmo

Today I decided to go to a friends farm and call some Yates but on this day my foxpro didn't make the trip. I have been wanting to put my diaphragm skills to use so I just went with my weapon and my diaphragms.
I get to the farm walk about 500 yards from where I parked set up on a thicket edge where I knew Yotes had been using and put out my decoy. I gave it about 10 min to settle down when I gave a long howl shortly followed by another. I scanned paying attention to the field edges. I then gave a female submissive followed by a whimper or two. By this time I was about five minutes into the set I then switched to another diaphram and about 4 minutes later I started a sequence of rabbit distress and shortly noticed to my left about 30 yards out a yote slipping up the edge looking for that rabbit that she thought would be a nice meal when all of the sudden a 110 gr vmax from my 6.8 hit her in the shoulder and the lights went out in Georgia!
It feels so good not to rely on electronics every time you go to the field. Now don't get me wrong I love my FoxPro but on this cool clear evening I thought it was time to use what God gave me a put a yote to sleep with my mouth..

Good deal on the kill. I have to just started using hand calls and sound decent on it. I still take my spitfire with me but here lately been using hand calls first.

I love my [beeep] diaphragms, I never leave the house without them, even if I do have the FoxPro. It's nice to be playing distress on the electronic call and be able add depth with a few growls or barks from the diaphragms.

I am more successful with hand calls than electronic. My hunting buddy is dead set on an e caller, when he's in charge no shots are ever fired.

Why would you let the cat out of the bag? Now the coyotes will be call shy of mouth calls too. I use both or one or the other on every set.
MasterBlaster

Last edited:
I went about 15 years using only hand calls. Then I got a FoxPro, the very first one they made, and for maybe 5 years after that, through a few different models of FoxPro, I used a mixture of both hand call and e-call. Eventually I recorded some good sounds for them and the remotes got good enough that I pretty much gave up on the mouth calls completely. Would use one every once in awhile, for whatever reasons, but for practical purposes I haven't set out to intentionally use a hand call for more than 10 years.

My averages have done nothing but go up, since I quit using hand calls. Kill more per day now, by about twice, as I did when all I used was hand calls. That's just me.

But had one day this year, forgot to bring the remote (lost it actually, had to get a new one!). Had to use a mouth call ALL day. Called a couple. But boy oh boy, was I missing my FoxPro! Kinda windy that day, couldn't get near the volume I felt I needed with the mouth call. Getting trombone lip BAD by half through the day. Not happy with the movement I was making using it. Not happy with the sound being pinpointed right on me. Not happy with not being able to really call continuously. Not happy with stand options in terms of where I wanted the coyotes attention vs. where I wanted to sit. And on and on, etc., etc...

That day really drove home to me, how much of an advantage that "I think" an e-caller really is.

But, like I said, that's just me.

- DAA

Like most, when I first started I used only hand calls. I killed a good number of coyotes with them. To this day, I've never bought an electronic call, though I have won two in raffles at PM and I won my current Shockwave in the Egg Shoot. I never really got all that fired up about ecallers when I had the little Extreme Dimensions or my previous Hellfire, but this Shockwave is great! I love it. Of course, I still use hand calls a lot, particularly earlier in the season when coyotes are not as keen and one can get away with more movement. Even later in the year, when I transition to the ecaller more, I still regularly mix in hand calls on some stands. Play a bird sound on the Shockwave and let some rabbit cries out from a good hand call - might be just what that critter wanted to hear. I haven't forayed into the world of diaphragm calls, and don't have any intention of it, yet.

Originally Posted By: DAAI went about 15 years using only hand calls. Then I got a FoxPro, the very first one they made, and for maybe 5 years after that, through a few different models of FoxPro, I used a mixture of both hand call and e-call. Eventually I recorded some good sounds for them and the remotes got good enough that I pretty much gave up on the mouth calls completely. Would use one every once in awhile, for whatever reasons, but for practical purposes I haven't set out to intentionally use a hand call for more than 10 years.

My averages have done nothing but go up, since I quit using hand calls. Kill more per day now, by about twice, as I did when all I used was hand calls. That's just me.

But had one day this year, forgot to bring the remote (lost it actually, had to get a new one!). Had to use a mouth call ALL day. Called a couple. But boy oh boy, was I missing my FoxPro! Kinda windy that day, couldn't get near the volume I felt I needed with the mouth call. Getting trombone lip BAD by half through the day. Not happy with the movement I was making using it. Not happy with the sound being pinpointed right on me. Not happy with not being able to really call continuously. Not happy with stand options in terms of where I wanted the coyotes attention vs. where I wanted to sit. And on and on, etc., etc...

That day really drove home to me, how much of an advantage that "I think" an e-caller really is.

- DAA

I have had about the same increase in coyotes called and killed since I got an ecall. The thing I like best about the ecall is not being out of breath when I coyote comes running in and my heart is trying to jump out of my chest to pump oxygen to my body. LOL

Originally Posted By: DAAI went about 15 years using only hand calls. Then I got a FoxPro, the very first one they made, and for maybe 5 years after that, through a few different models of FoxPro, I used a mixture of both hand call and e-call. Eventually I recorded some good sounds for them and the remotes got good enough that I pretty much gave up on the mouth calls completely. Would use one every once in awhile, for whatever reasons, but for practical purposes I haven't set out to intentionally use a hand call for more than 10 years.

- DAA

thumbup1.gif

For nearly 20 years all I used was hand calls. Both a howler and distress calls. Then I bought a foxpro I think it was about 2005. And I have had alot of success with them over the last 12 or so years for sure.

But the last couple of years it seems it has slowed up alittle . I can't say for certain but I think it is the fact the market has been so flooded with ecallers and guys that don't have any experience calling go out and educate them on all the latest greatest sounds and don't get them killed so they get wise. So I have been using handcalls more than the ecaller lately, that and voice howls. Seems to be working better at least for me.

Last edited:
I agree with DAA about the newer e-callers.

I would be lost without my Foxpro caller with 10 pre-set sounds that I can switch to with one push of a button.

couple of months ago I was walking to small meadow I was going to call and saw two coyotes mousing. I layed everything but my rifle down and decided to see if I could creep in closer for a shot. They exited stage right and disappeared into cover but not because they had detected me so I thought what the heck, maybe there close and start lip squeaking. Within seconds one of them was making a bee line straight to me with the afterburners on. At about 40-50 yards I used the tried and tested "hey!" call to stop him and promptly fired off a round well over his head.
Really could've been a neat story.

I got some [beeep] mouth calls a few months ago. I think the sound is great, but I'm not consistent enough just yet to try and hunt them on a regular basis. I've gone out "practicing" on at a friends house and got responses but I immediately screwed up when I cracked a howl or not having my barks sound right 100% of the time. Usually my first bark or howl is off and the rest are ok.

Its funny you mention lip squeeks. I can't think of a time when I've used a lip squeak and had a negative reaction from a coyote. Have seen them just stand there and tilt there head back and forth listening and not approach but not turn tail and run. Most times they approach, sometimes cautiously other times full out running in.

Guys I have more than one ecaller and trust me I kill a lot with it but on this hunt I wanted to go without it. I find it pleasing to kill with only you and what God give you. Trust me my FoxPro stays close.

Nothing wrong with using both a lot of times I will just use a hand call and leave the e caller in the truck it depends on how I feel.
Why start off with howls and not go with a distress sound first.

I went about 15 years using only hand calls. Then I got a FoxPro, the very first one they made, and for maybe 5 years after that, through a few different models of FoxPro, I used a mixture of both hand call and e-call. Eventually I recorded some good sounds for them and the remotes got good enough that I pretty much gave up on the mouth calls completely. Would use one every once in awhile, for whatever reasons, but for practical purposes I haven't set out to intentionally use a hand call for more than 10 years.

- DAA

This!!!
On the prairie in snow,DOUBLE DAA!!!

Most of my hunting locations are very thick I hunt a lot of edges. The trick to killing a bunch of fur is just like catching fish consistently of which I also do being a guide and that is locating the fur and getting as close as possible then set up and call. You can go to the lake and fish your butt off and wonder why you can't catch them when there is a select few that are just like going to kill yotes and wondering why you can't do it consistently when there is others that can and that is because you are not around them. To catch fish consistently and win tournaments consistently you don't go and just put the trolling motor down and start fishing down the bank sure you will probably catch a few and occasionally even a big one but to win money and consistently finish near the top the key is locating fish before you fish for them. When killing coyotes and other types of fur consistently you have to find and be around them to kill them.

I can go with my ecaller and call my butt off and not be around them and no matter what I do I will not kill fur. I can take my ecaller and locate exactly the area they are using and Pyle up fur knee deep. It's all about location and where I hunt most of the time in thickets and grown up areas I can take my diaphragm calls and get all the volume I need to kill. I will say this once again I hunt with my ecaller almost every time but there are times that I just want to get intament with the dog and bust him with just the diaphram.

GET CLOSE AND GET FUR!

Now if I'm hunting out west it's a whole different game just based on the terrain it's self. Still got to find the fur but the volumes and ranges are greatly different.

I LOVE THIS SPORT.. DONT OVERTHINK THINGS THOUGH AND REMEMBER GOD MADE US THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR AND GAVE US THE SKILLS TO BE THAT!!

Last edited:
I agree with everyone,cause your all right.

But...wait for it...HANDCALL RANT:

I grew up using handcalls, and it is just second nature to me. Have killed multiple hundreds of coyotes, cats and fox with em. I got the ol' cassette callers back in the day and those became a well used tool as well. I really love both hand calls and E-callers, and they both demand certain skills and setup to get the most out of em.

Both have pros and cons but each will outperform the other, imo, on certain days in certain places. But...there is no doubt that for numbers, efficiency, sound availability and convenience overall, an E-caller pulls way ahead in almost all cases...and they are only getting better.

What is kinda sad to me though is...that 95% of guys out calling now, have zero concept of how to use a handcall, or that they are even something that can call in animals, or what they can do for a refined caller. Thats just a personal thing with me I guess? I understand that tv and internet have glamorized E-calls and they dominate the business, but I also think that there is, still, a total lack of good instruction.. on almost all media..of using hand calls.. as in.. making good sounds with them and some of the finer points of using them. Its here and there, but spotty and largley lacking, from talented callers. "Talented" sounds pretty condescending but I dont know how else to say it? You get my drift. Yes...if you simply puff air into them, they can sound like a kazoo, or other wierd stuff, but if you find some good calls and take the time and interest to wring them out, you might be suprised...but..it takes work. Its an instrument that you have to play, it aint gonna make the sounds for you. Also,its just something you have to want to do I guess.

Regarding a couple things I always see people putting out there as cons while hand calling...is trombone lip, getting winded while constantly blowing a call, and hand/body movement. All have been mentioned here I think?

Trombone lip: Its a real thing, and it sucks. Theres no way around it except switching to a diapragm maybe or just rotating your E caller in for awhile. Ya gotta take a break sometimes. You can also adjust your style a bit (using the side of your mouth, shorter sequences etc). If you call a lot, as in often,(weekly, year round etc.), the better "calling shape" youll be in and it is not as bad. For me, Chapstick is also a must while out calling.

Being physically "winded": Again, the more you call, the better physical calling shape you will be in....really..but, there is no reason to even get to that point in the first place (winded that is). Stop blowing super hard on the call. Stop blowing the long sequences you hear on your Foxpro., it aint necessary. Short sequences work just as well and sometimes better. Also it is important to learn good air presentation into the call . Find easy blowing calls.

Hand/body movement: This is what I see people complaining about the most, cause while hand calling, those animals will be pin pointing you and they will be on top of you, and if youre body is girating or your call hand is out of control, theyre going to spot you. This is unnecessary in almost all cases. #1..COVER YOUR HANDS AND FACE. Also, again, stop blowing super hard thru the call. (Find easy blowing calls) Take it easy and discipline your self a bit, be aware of what you are doing and what you look like doing it. Good, efficient air presentation into the call is key. Stop forcing air into the call, and start easing air into it and let it work. Nice and smooth. Stop all the crazy hand jive on the call. You simply have to open a finger or two to manipulate the call with your hand. You dont even have to open them all the way, and sometimes not at all depending on the call. This is almost comical, watching people do this. Stop. Nice and smooth and slick. Also...use only one hand, a lot of guys like to use both hands to manipulate the sound, but dont do it constantly, its not necessary. Its just more movement. Ill stop here..but you can do a lot with all those basics. I will also mention as an example..Les Johnson..since most are probably familiar with him. If you examine his style, he does a lot of these things while hand calling, which he does a lot of. He calls a lot of real open country and does pretty good. He gets em pretty close too. Of course he likes to lay back and call keeping his profile low, but thats all part of it too, and a whole nother discussion.

Sorry for the ramble, just had to get er out.
Mark

Back