Spotting Scope

Bill S

I'm looking for a reasonable spotting scope and came across the Bushnell Elite 20-60x 80mm. This scope is about the most expensive I would consider,

Sig Victor5
Vortex Viper
Athlon Ares

Also in that price range and great optics. Along with the Bushy, they will all serve you well.

A few years ago, I picked up a 20-60x Redfield (produced by Leupold) for $229 and haven't been sorry...

Last edited:
I believe it is the lowest priced spotting scope using ED low dispersion glass(fluorite crystal) with a 80mm objective lens. I almost purchased one during black friday sales. I was looking for something under 1500. The Bushnell was one of the final three(Pentax 80 ED and the Meopta 80 HD). I think you maybe able the pickup the Bushnell for under 700. The only reason I didn't buy the Pentax or Bushnell( both lower priced the the Meopta) was no dealers had them on hand and the Meopta is assembled in the USA. Under 1000 the Bushnell has very good reviews.

Here's what the guys on the line come to look through when their dedicated spotting scopes don't hack it at 400 yards:C90 telescope

I added a couple eye pieces but settled on this one: 23 mm eyepiece , it comes with a 32 mm that wasn't enuff for 400.
This 23mm eyepiece provides 54X power vs C90 oem 39X.
Didn't mount the aiming dongle, didn't need it with 54X.

A good tripod & fluid base are needed (with any powerful scope):fluid base

Minus a tripod, this kit is about $200, plus it doubles as a good entry level star gazing scope.

156X with an 8 mm eyepiece ~1/4 moon fills the FOV, but that didn't focus at 400 yards (to close!)

If he will use the spotting scope for hunting,it needs to be waterproof,armored coated. And most important very little color aberration and clear edge to edge. At 4:15 am two days ago I saw two animals about 2/3 mile away in a field. I could not tell if coyote or raccoon with Steiner 7x50 binos or my Redfield regal 4 spotting scope. I looked through the Meopta spotter, could see ears and clear profile of coyote. By far best spotting scope I have looked through.

Last edited:
I read good things about Vortex scopes and found a couple good deals for a 20-60x85. This is a razor HD model that has been discontinued yet it is highly rated. Since this will be my last spotting scope, I'm considering it for an extra $200. I don't think I can go wrong with it. Is there something I should know about this scope before I "pull the trigger"?

Look at this one Leupold Kenai 30x, 25-60x80mm HD Straight as a bonus(make sure it still does) it comes with a wide angle lens that you can change out in minutes. The regular lens is perfect for range use to see bullet strikes, but after the range we stick in the wide to look at things here at the lake. Would be perfect for scoping a hunting area. Both lens are crystal clear. I've never regretted acquiring it years ago.

I would suggest Celestron Ultima Zoom. It is a great spotting scope, one of the best, and it is not all that expensive, especially compared to some of the more high-end optics.

Vortex 20-60x85 Razor HD is actually better, but not something easily affordable. The Celestron is a good alternative.

Back