Finnaly broke down and just got my first electric call

Rock Knocker

I like to think of myself as a purist and I get great enjoyment in calling in whole packs of coyotes with a little hand call, BUT I've been getting busted too much.

I've had more time this winter to get out and hunt and I've been having too many coyotes circling around me out of sight or just holding into some thick brush I can't shoot through. And they know right where the sound is coming from. I'm limited to mostly public land and around here it's all thick, I've got my good favorite spots but they get warn out quick.

I broke down and got a Foxpro Hellfire on clearance, I'm excited, and maybe a little ashamed...

Let me know what you guys think of the Hellfire and I'm interested in any tips or tricks you guys might know of for a guys switching to an ecaller for the first time.

I have had good luck with my Hellfire, but did switch to the fusion a couple years ago; lots of things going for the hellfire. One thing I always try to do is get the call up off the ground if I can. The 'experts' have convinced me that the sound carries quite a bit better if the call is elevated. Also, always have your hand calls ready, cause you just never know...

Captain Obvious also says to sit downwind of the call....

Atta boy. We all cross over to the dark side eventually.lol

To ease the guilt, record some of your own hand calls. Cleanit up with some free editing software and you are gtg.

I'm looking forward to using it, I will be doing more daylight hunting for the rest of the winter.

And unfortunately, I'm looking forward to do more hunting alone. My only buddy that will go out hunting in this weather is as dumb as the snow he complains about walking through. 90% of my coyote hunting is done with a hunter downwind so there's a better chance of someone getting the coyotes I call in, when I go out alone it's usually more of a scouting trip. But this guy insists on shooting off his 8" bipod though, how the he!! do you hunt off a bipod when you're laying in 3 foot weeds? Four nights ago I called a triple right in front of him but he was laying down and couldn't see through the weeds that were all around him, he never saw them until they were running away.... And two night before that he tried hunting from his truck bed because he didn't want to walk the 400 yards to a good spot.

Lol, enough of that hunting partner rant, good riddance. It will be nice to relax alone in the woods, hiking out to the far hidden spots and not worry so much about digging through my pockets for calls and dealing with keeping everything inside my jacket so it's not frozen solid.

Good Luck with the new E-Caller.....I like Hunting by myself too,less noise walking in with 1 Person!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisHaving an e-caller is only 1/1000000000th of the battle calling in Coyotes!

When you get the rest figured out you will be KING of the hill;-)

I'm getting there! I've been using hand calls for the last 6 years, after two years of trying I called one in. Now we see some almost every time we go out. I'm just hoping that having me separated from the calls by a little ways in this thick stuff will help get a few more shots off.

Last edited:
What kind of range are you guys getting with these foxpro remotes???

I was disappointed the first time I tried it I was less than 100 yards away from it and I couldn't get it to turn on. I walked up to it and got the dang thing running right as I was standing in the open, I sat back down around 60 yards away and I had to hit the buttons several times to get the call to respond. Totally clear line of sight.

The second stand I made I had it around 20 yards away on the other side of a lot of brush and it worked fine.

Should buy an ecall early in season before they have heard rabbit #1 a million times.
Other than that it does get the focus off of you, if you sit still.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerWhat kind of range are you guys getting with these foxpro remotes???

I was disappointed the first time I tried it I was less than 100 yards away from it and I couldn't get it to turn on. I walked up to it and got the dang thing running right as I was standing in the open, I sat back down around 60 yards away and I had to hit the buttons several times to get the call to respond. Totally clear line of sight.

The second stand I made I had it around 20 yards away on the other side of a lot of brush and it worked fine.

You have a problem. That thing is supposed to have ridiculous remote range. Fortunately they have very good customer service.

What kind of batteries are you using and are they set up right?

I got an energizer 9v in the remote. And they suggest the good rechargeable AA type but I got the good energizer lithium AA until I get some good rechargables, they say the sound should get shoddy at higher volumes if you are using poor speaker batteries. Everything sounds fine but the remote range certainly didn't seem correct.

I will have it out again tomorrow and do some testing.

My foxpro has to be set for alkaline or lithium batteries. Might check your manual to see if that's an issue or possibly something else simple you may have overlooked.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI got an energizer 9v in the remote.

seems like any of the foxpro callers that use 3 aa batteries in the remote control work 10 times better than the ones that use a 9 volt battery. i would not ever own another foxpro that used a 9 volt in the remote. what caller do you have?

edit... see you got a hellfire. good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripod3Should buy an ecall early in season before they have heard rabbit #1 a million times.
Other than that it does get the focus off of you, if you sit still.

Rabbit has been discontinued from my presets until Late October 2017.

If I use any distress it will probably be a Bird of some type this time of year. Gotta stick to vocals this time of the year!!

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerOn my way back to the store to refund this over prices child's toy.

pick up an inferno or banshee. both have the good long range remotes.

banshee if you need gobs of volume.

inferno if not. the inferno is just an all around good little caller in my opinion. small, light weight, uses 4 batteries, batteries last a long time and it has plenty of volume. i really like the inferno caller.

To me there's no way these products are worth what they charge. That Hellfire was listed for $400, in only 3 stands I observed MAYBE a $100 product. I've seen cheap child's toy remotes work from farther away and if the remote is a maybe a $20 gizmo a horn speaker and small amp is not $380 worth of stuff.

I would rather try to call coyotes in with a blade of grass between my fingers than feel used.

Back