Which Flir Scout

cmabbott04

Hello all,

Question around which Flir scout to move forward with. I just recently got in to the thermal game and purchased an armasight Zeus 640 scope and LOVE it. I am seeing something nearly every time out (lucky!) and have a few good kills so far under my belt this season. This got me hooked on thermal and I picked up a Flir scout TK just for scanning, but obviously having seen something such as the Zeus 640 I want to have something a bit better for scanning.

I am poking around and considering the following:

- Flir scout ii 320
- Flir scout PS32
- Flir scout iii 240

I know the refresh rate is much better on the iii but for scanning fields standing still, not a big deal for me.

If you had to pick between these which direction would you go and will i get that much of a difference over the scout TK?

Thanks for your opinions!

If you can get by with the tk for now Pulsar is coming out with a new line called Helion. It will be more streamline like Flir not that the current ones are huge,just a little wider than flir

I have owned ps24 and ps320 II. The 320 is much clearer and longer range. At shorter ranges the 24 will work. Warranties are much longer on flir . The pulsar I have no experience with but hear many good things. Depends on what you want to spend.might get either flir bought for much less than the pulsar units.

I own the ps32 II & pulsar XD19a.
The pulsar is 500% better than the ps32.....IMO
The ps32 has an internal battery which I don't like, but it does last pretty much all night long even at its last bar. Having a spare battery pack is essential with any thermal unit.
The view in the 19a is many, many times better than the flir. The flir is more hand friengly though.
It took me about 4 nights of usage to get used to the pulsars width.
I don't use the flir any longer, but keep it as a back up or for a pal I take out night calling.
You will need a good 12v spare battery pack for the 19s as it just eats batteries like M&Ms, they can be had for about $22 on amazon, no need for a $140 backup pack.

I had the original ps32, battery went bad & Flir sent me the ps32 scout II to replace it.
I thought it was better even though its supposed to be the same except the scout II can record w/a dvd pack.

Where did yall get all the other adapters to stay on the cheaper side?

I use an Anker which came with the scope as a bundle. You will need the battery cables, C123 dumby battery, and USB adapter.

I can leave the scope on probably all night.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have the chance to purchase a Scout II 320 and an HD19a at the same price. Sounds like consensus is to proceed with the 19A?

Flit's warranty is on th Core, not the entire unit. I sold my Flir to a friend, after I bought a couple IR Patrol, a year later it started cutting off after15 minutes and Flir refused to fix it under warranty or not. I will never buy Flir again.

I had just the opposite experience with flir last year, mine was screwed up where the charger goes into the unit and I had scratches on the eyepiece and was willing to pay to fix it because the issues were from me mishandling the unit but they warranted the unit and sent me a new refurbished unit for free and even paid to send it overnight to me. Probably the best experience I've ever had with returning something to a company.

Originally Posted By: Hammer1113I had just the opposite experience with flir last year, mine was screwed up where the charger goes into the unit and I had scratches on the eyepiece and was willing to pay to fix it because the issues were from me mishandling the unit but they warranted the unit and sent me a new refurbished unit for free and even paid to send it overnight to me. Probably the best experience I've ever had with returning something to a company.

I have two dozen steadily used and abused FLIR thermal products over the last six years.

All of them are still being steadily used and abused daily.

Originally Posted By: Hammer1113I had just the opposite experience with flir last year, mine was screwed up where the charger goes into the unit and I had scratches on the eyepiece and was willing to pay to fix it because the issues were from me mishandling the unit but they warranted the unit and sent me a new refurbished unit for free and even paid to send it overnight to me. Probably the best experience I've ever had with returning something to a company.

THIS!

I had a very similar situation not once, but twice. The first was a core issue and they sent me an RMA and I had a "new refurbished" unit within a week of sending mine. The second time was from scratches on the eye piece (MY FAULT) and I told their customer service I just wanted a a "service cleaning" done before our night season started. I told her the scratches we my doing etc etc. She sent me another brand new refurbished unit with a carrying case and everything.

That said- I do think the refurbished units weren't as crisp as the original, but its more than likely just in my head. Great company.

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorFlit's warranty is on th Core, not the entire unit. I sold my Flir to a friend, after I bought a couple IR Patrol, a year later it started cutting off after15 minutes and Flir refused to fix it under warranty or not. I will never buy Flir again.

FLIR warranty is typically 3 years for system and 10 years for core.

Back