Favorite rifle sling

Phil Boyles

I'm looking for a quality sling/carry system for my Tikka T3. I put a Slogan sling on it and I'm not impressed with it. With the suppressor on the gun, it makes the 22" barrel end up about 30". So, it's a little (not horrible) muzzle heavy and doesn't really carry very well. Where I hunt I'm often walking through hedge rows, brush and open fields too. I have thought and looked at the Eberlestock gun runner packs, but with the length of the gun and the cover I walk through, I can't see that working well.

I hoping some of you have found a solution to the barrel heavy rifle and have found a comfortable way to carry it. I have considered the TAB Pinnacle Rifle Sling PRS, https://tabgear.configio.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=931&
If anyone has one on a long rifle, let me know how you like it. Thanks

Safari Sling, you carry the rifle across your front in your hands and just raise it up and shoot. I don't know why more people don't use these, best way I have found yet to carry a rifle in the field.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterSafari Sling, you carry the rifle across your front in your hands and just raise it up and shoot. I don't know why more people don't use these, best way I have found yet to carry a rifle in the field.

I looked at the Safari Sling online. The only qustion I would have about it is if it gets in the way of your backpack. Other than that, it looks great.

Originally Posted By: Phil BoylesI'm looking for a quality sling/carry system for my Tikka T3. I put a Slogan sling on it and I'm not impressed with it. With the suppressor on the gun, it makes the 22" barrel end up about 30". So, it's a little (not horrible) muzzle heavy and doesn't really carry very well. Where I hunt I'm often walking through hedge rows, brush and open fields too. I have thought and looked at the Eberlestock gun runner packs, but with the length of the gun and the cover I walk through, I can't see that working well.

I hoping some of you have found a solution to the barrel heavy rifle and have found a comfortable way to carry it. I have considered the TAB Pinnacle Rifle Sling PRS, https://tabgear.configio.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=931&
If anyone has one on a long rifle, let me know how you like it. Thanks

This is my issue also.. It looks like if all else fails the GRS stock has the sling points in the same place as my AR and I carry it in all types of terrain with my Blue Force sling

Last edited:
Just about every sling I ever tried will not stay on my shoulder. I'm a big guy and I blame it on my trap muscle.

I like Browning slings. Not only are they robust with high quality steel quick detach swivels, they are more easily adjustable than most slings. The buckle is such you can easily and quickly slide it to make the sling max length for the field, and then back to minimum for storage in about a second. While walking with the rifle I like to sling it across my back and not just on my shoulder.

Browning slings are about 1.75 inches wide the entire length of the sling strap. Some shoulder slingers may want a wide pad for their shoulder, but not me. Optics Planet sells both a shotgun and a rifle model, in various colors.

[/quote]I looked at the Safari Sling online. The only qustion I would have about it is if it gets in the way of your backpack. Other than that, it looks great. [/quote]

Put the rifle on first then the pack. No problem. Try it, you'll like it! They don't cost a lot.

I'm thinking there isn't just one rifle sling that will cover the whole aspects of carrying and use.
There are some that are perfect for one aspect or another, but have yet to find one that covers everything. The combination slings w/ cuffs come the closest for what i do, but there are a number of versions, some well over $100. One would go broke finding the one to perfectly suit his needs.
I often see some of these for sale, so i suspect they are just being tried out and passed on, while looking for 'the one.'
I am still looking.

If you can move your rear sling swivel (and possibly the front one too) up the stock(towards the muzzle) the center of gravity will be pushed up the stock helping negate the top heavy carry.

Make one,
this one is fixed 40" made up of ~55 feet 550 paracord with 7 long loops (warp) ie 14 strands and heavy duty sling swivels.
Took about half a day and bunch of patience, its a simple belt weave.
It feels soft, sets good on the shoulder but doesn't stretch.
This one goes on a RAP 243, used a variation on this belt method

164879711.PoAwgEpK.DSC02847.JPG

Back