A few quick coyote questions

Paccar

A little green but doing allot of searching on this forum but I have a few quick questions.

1. In the snow can a yote pick out a black gun even if the hunter is under a white sheet??

2. If you find a good calling spot by an old ranch road how far should a guy hike away from the pickup if it's within sight of a coyote?? I suppose it depends on how skittish they are

3. How far should you travel from set to set to get as many sets in but not overlap to much??

4. When can you start using mating calls in a Montana area??

Originally Posted By: PaccarA little green but doing allot of searching on this forum but I have a few quick questions.

1. In the snow can a yote pick out a black gun even if the hunter is under a white sheet??

2. If you find a good calling spot by an old ranch road how far should a guy hike away from the pickup if it's within sight of a coyote?? I suppose it depends on how skittish they are

3. How far should you travel from set to set to get as many sets in but not overlap to much??

4. When can you start using mating calls in a Montana area??

These answers are just my opinions, based on my own experiences. So take them for whatever you think they are worth........
grin.gif

#1) IMHO, unless you move that rifle quickly, then by the time the coyote decides that it's "out of place", compared to the whiteness...he's well within range, and should be dead. But, that is the case, with any quick movements on stand.
Yes, the "blackness" of the gun will be different than the surrounding white. However, they don't know what a gun looks like.
To them, it will appear as if it's a small tree branch, ect.
Move the gun into position slowly, and there's no worries.

#2) I am going to assume that what you mean, is, if there isn't already a coyote standing there looking at you/the truck.
Just like if you were parking on a regular road, if you can hide the truck behind a hill, large tree, ect., then, if the wind is blowing towards the truck, I say that you can walk just far enough that the truck is out of view....in some spots, as close as 50 yds.
I've done it, with success.
I have seen others do it, with success.
But, the truck needs to be hidden....at least enough, IMHO, that any sun shining off the windows, can't be seen.
If the truck can't be hidden, then I have always erred on the side of caution, and gotten at least 200-300 yds from the truck (if possible. The larger the area that you're calling, obviously, the easier that is to do.

#3) IMHO, this depends on the "lay of the land".
If you're hunting really hilly terrain, where there are deep ravines, you could go as little as a few hundred yds, and call again.
In my area, there are roads (mostly) every mile.
So, a lot of pastures are no more than 640 acres (1 mile x 1 mile).
Or they can be as small as 40 acres...with the balance of that 640, made up of crop ground. And somewhere in that 640 acres, is a creek, or large shelterbelt, or even a large (4+ acres) of plum thickets, out in the middle of the area.
And, a lot of it, is "rolling hills", or even "flat".
So, in my area, I have generally made a stand; moved at least 3 miles away, and made a stand; then possibly went back in the direction I originally came from, 2 miles (so, 1 mile from original stand)...and made another stand, to try and pick up anything that might have heard the 1st stand, yet was far enough away that it didn't want to travel that far.
Confused yet?
grin.gif

I know that I have always done things somewhat different than a lot of people do.
But, I like to think "outside the box".
wink.gif

#4) Having never been to Montana, I can't accurately answer. I don't know if there's much difference between the rut time there, as compared to Kansas.
I have always been lead to believe that coyotes (in Kansas), may start mating activity in mid-January....but some may not breed until early-March.
That being said, I have always began primarily using vocals (instead of primarily using prey distress sounds), the first week of January.
And continued until the first of March (in the years that I hunted until the first of March).

I think its the white athletic sports tape the wife buys me i use for winter camo for the guns. Cheap & comes right off. If the weather changes i peal it back off.

Great advice given already. They have awesome eye sight & a nose that can't be beat !

Back