Female Coyote in Heat Call

rlmortvedt

Has anyone used the 'Female Coyote in Heat' call? Randy Anderson showed a couple of mating coyotes a few years ago on one of his videos and the female was making this high pitched 'beep beep beep' sound. This would be the time of year to use this call since the coyotes are out there dating now. I see alot of the electronic callers are coming with it in their library of calls. Any success using it???

I had a mouth call one. Can't seem to find it though, called 1 a few years ago in February with it. Just did 1 short series and a coyote walked out a couple minutes later.

I can make that sound on the Lil Dog open reed call.
Two of my friends cannot and one looks pretty foolish trying.
That is one individual sound advantage of handcalls compared to ecalls.

In Randy Anderson's videos he has used the orange acrylic Primos Ki-yi call to make the Female Coyote in Heat sound. You have to adjust the reed just right to do it. He also has another Primos 'Female Whimper' call made especially to produce the coyote in heat sound.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DropadoglvMr. Popp correct! But no for me!
Hey I was thinking of getting two coyote decoys and place one on the other like they are mating then play those cherps do you think that would work?

Originally Posted By: JeepyjerOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvMr. Popp correct! But no for me!
Hey I was thinking of getting two coyote decoys and place one on the other like they are mating then play those cherps do you think that would work? Lol, if you do, please take a pic and text it to me! Too funny!

Quote:Hey I was thinking of getting two coyote decoys and place one on the other like they are mating My buddy the verminator did that and we have video of a female coyote coming in all burled up and was popping her jaws as she got close. We got it on film.
We named the decoy/s humpty dumpty.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: songdog Quote:Hey I was thinking of getting two coyote decoys and place one on the other like they are mating My buddy the verminator did that and we have video of a female coyote coming in all burled up and was popping her jaws as she got close. We got it on film.
We named the decoy/s humpty dumpty.
lol.gif

Humpity Dumpity?

Originally Posted By: tripod3I can make that sound on the Lil Dog open reed call.
Two of my friends cannot and one looks pretty foolish trying.
That is one individual sound advantage of handcalls compared to ecalls.
-
I use electronic call a lot . but I really believe good Hand Call takes the cake over Electronic . Hand Call with human breath and hand, I think they are more pure and free of electronic audio white noise the human ear can't hear .

( female Estrous Chirping ) Takes some practice on it, And you got to like and feel comfortable with the call your using also . I have a couple hand calls that I did not like and I was never satisfied with the 'tone' that I personally produced on them for that high bark 'estrous Chirp' . I think the hand Call and the guy working it has to a good match-up , because everyone is built different and has a different ear for sound he tries on the Call . And all custom hand calls are built with different techniques by there makers and by there ear . You just got to look around find a call that fits the person .

I set the foxpro out ahead of me in field on the set-up last night. . I opened the calling ( Estrous Chirping ) using open-reed ( SB Howler) of Robert/rareearth . And I called in 3 Dogs, and pretty fast, no more than 15 minutes .
Scanning on the hand Therm. unit and calling again, they ran from fields across the highway from me and stopped just off the Hwy. edge that separated us . was about 11:30 pm traffic and it was spotty but they were pacing and looking for a good quiet lull for there jump over . So I slid the Hand Call in the pocket and got on the rifle/tripod . watched them on the Therm. and they looked really committed for a quick sprint across the Hwy.
So, Hand Call is in stowed in my pocket because I am glassing with Therm. with one hand, and staying ready on the rifle for the upcoming shot with the other arm . I dropped the Therm. on the lanyard and grabbed the foxpro remote in the other pocket . hit ( female whimpers ) light on about 4 volume power to just bring them over the line on my side while I was ready on the trigger . I instantly saw that was a BIG Deal Breaker right there . Dogs moods changed right there on the spot like hitting on-off light switch . They all just slowly trotted a 180 away . Should have just had stuck with the Hand call but I stupidly went back to what I was in old habit of doing with electronics and sealed the deal .

you broke one of my self imposed rules, if they are coming to a sound, stick with that sound. I highly doubt it had anything to do with the sound being on an ecall. IF that was the case, none would ever come to ANY sound on ANY ecall.

We used a similar call Saturday morning. Had one calling back from a ways out. It was deffinately working to get closer. When it sounded like it was getting very close. The n ighbor started shooting and then it went quiet. Tried a couple things for 20 minutes after but didn't see or hear anything. This was shortly after sunrise.

Yep!

If they are coming? Don't change anything!

Originally Posted By: songdogyou broke one of my self imposed rules, if they are coming to a sound, stick with that sound. I highly doubt it had anything to do with the sound being on an ecall. IF that was the case, none would ever come to ANY sound on ANY ecall.

ya I don't know what I was thinking, I usually stick with the ( if it not broke then don't fix it ) rule . At least I know those 3 are out there and where there running together, So I will just bide my time and get them latter . But the hand calling was good on my part so that is a little satisfying .
. The fields I called them in from across other side of Hwy. this time year are a little mucky wet and short grass and filled with Geese at Night that are grazing & I could hear them by the hundreds honking same time I was chirping . So I am sure that what they were doing over there was trying to ambush some stragglers before doing there routes checking the local farms . I been working these same fields calling and ambushing coyotes off-on for years and it's a good breeding and rich food for Dogs . They just keep moving-in from other area's after I clean-out several a year . All the older dogs and old females here in the valley are pretty smart and educated . there is always some farmer hail-Mary'ing a Round at them in the daytime hours also, but I doubt but a few of them ever actually get touched by lead, helps make them wise-up fast .

Last edited:
Back