Used press help

CSM52

Found 2 Lee progressive press on CL forsale, I know 0 about reloading and this will bey first press.
I will reload for 6.5 grendel, 223 and 6x45 at first but would possibly reload for other calibers.

The press is about 8 years old he said.

He wants 100 dolpars for the press and it comes with the plate for 45 long colt only.

Any info and or better recommendation's would be appreciated

Well that's what I have read elsewhere, didn't know if this was a good deal on a progressive. I think I would feel a little safer on a single stage anyhow

I expect it's worth $100.

Go look it up on youtube & watch some videos on how to set it up & use it, how to troubleshoot & fix common issues. That should help you decide if you might like it or not.

$100 dollars for a progressive press...............That alone should tell you something.

I had a Lee press about 30 years ago, it was sent down the road about 29 and a half years ago.
I was never impressed with Lee reloading equipment, I'm sure its better now, but first impression last a life time. Never again. JMO

I've seen some decent prices on used RCBS single stage presses on Ebay. Single stage is the best route for a new reloader, a lot of human error can be eliminated.

Here Kitty Kitty

Last edited:
Which Lee progressive is it? Could be a Load Master 5 hole press or a Pro 1000 3 hole press. The Pro 1000 is much cheaper. Check prices on Midway to see how much of a markdown it is. I have had a Lee Classic Turret which is a beast for strength since they hit the market. I recently bought a Load Master for cheap. If you have the ability to set up a Load Master, it is a good press.

If it is a Lee 1000, I've been using one for almost 20 years...They are great for straight wall handgun cartridges, but I've had a heck of a time with bottle neck rifle cases and the powder drop system... If you are planning to reload for bottle neck rifle rounds, stick with a single stage...Save your pennies and find a used Forster Co-Ax or one of the reputable "C" type presses...Unless it's in mint condition I wouldn't buy another Lee 1000 for more than $75 used...

Reloading requires a learning curve. I highly recommend you start with a single stage reloader to learn the basics and improve your skills. I think if you start with a progressive reloader with no basic skills you will just give up before you achieve the results you want. There are some real good starter kits put out by a number of different companies. Do some homework and pick one you think you will like and I think you will be much happier in the end.
kwg

one problem with starting off with a progressive - any progressive press - is that if you develope problems, you can be trying to diagnose multiple issues at once.

as mentioned by others this is why as a beginner a single stage will probably serve you much better until you get the hang of things. Especially if you dont have a mentor there to hold your hand through that initial learning curve.

depending on specifically WHICH press it is, at $100 it may be worth picking up to have on hand, but without more information it'll be tough to give you an honest opinion as to how much of a value it may or may not be.

that said, still budget for a single stage kit, learn the process in a one step at a time fashion, and then work forward towards progressive reloading. Starting simple can really pay dividends in a hobby like this where so many little things can possibly give you frustrations at the start.

HTH

I been using an RCBS single stage press for years. Now I have two. Both are the same RCBS single stage. One for sizing, one for seating. They are both very old but work as good as a brand new one. Simple to use and set up, just not really fast but I'm in no hurry. Something that hasn't been mentioned, but s few reloading manuals and READ!!!

Originally Posted By: CSM52I believe I'll just piece me together a single stage setup, to make risk going with the used press

I think this is the smart move. Once you understand the process and know how to load safely and effectively, you can always upgrade to a progressive.

I just think you'd be setting yourself up for an even steeper learning curve by going straight to progressive. I know the reloading makers all are pushing progressive presses hard, but sometimes simple is better.

I reload over 4000 rounds per year with an RCBS Rockchucker. My only addition to help with speed is the wonderful Case Kicker add-on. This add on easily makes the de-priming/resizing operation and the bullet seating operation twice as fast.

Grouse

Am I better off with one of the kits or piece one together? I just see a lot of people replacing scales and stuff right away with the cheaper start up kits

When I started reloading I don't remember there being "starter kits", there probably was but I never saw them.

If I were just getting into it, I would probably piece a kit together rather than buying one already assembled. My thoughts are you make a few upgrade on the equipment. I'm still using things that were purchased in the early 80's.

With the "net" you can research, compare and shop from your easy chair.

Here Kitty Kitty

I got an RCBS JR Press starter kit in 1975. It had the press, Uniflow measure, a mounting bracket, tube of lube and pad, a deburring tool and a 5-0-5 scales.

I still use the scale, sold the press and the deburring tool. Since then I've upgraded and expanded a bit to nine metallics, eight progressives ( five Blue) and a Rock Chucker, and many powder measures and two electronic scales and more dies than I have a right to own. LOL

I recommend getting the Lyman T-Mag kit with the electronic scales for beginners. The turret can be run as a single stage, as can most progressives BTW, but it is a nice step up in speed once you get tuned into the process.

Greg

Find you a used cast iron single stage press and don't look back. Redding and RCBS presses can be had on ebay cheap. Nothing wrong with the Rock Chucker, I have used one for 25 years and there are JR3 presses to be had for much less than $100. Good luck...

IMO buy once and cry once..... If your going to reload for the rest of your life save your money and buy a Forster Coax, you'll thank me 30 years from now and more than likely there will still not be a better single stage press that produces as concentric and accurate ammo.

Rock Chucker is the best way in my book to start with. I used my RC for the first 4 years and added 2 RCBS Turrets presses and a second Rock Chucker to the reloading setup. Mostly use the RC's for sizing and the Turrets for belling, seating, and crimping. I have a total of 8 heads for the turrets so all dies are setup and ready to change calibers. We shoot alot during the year so it is nice to have this setup. FWIW, do like others have said, buy several different reloading books and read, and re-read. You will never know to much.

Last edited:
for what it's worth I have 2 RCBS press's . One I've since I was 13 years old and wont guess how many rounds I loaded on it . The second I've had for about 10 years and use it for the odd ball operations like depriming , swedging , ect.
I had thought about a progressive but after 52 years on a single stage press I cant see any reason to change.

Back