desert dog

Lazerus

Looking to get a good pup for my boy this year. Will be mostly a family dog, but will want her to go hunting with us. Probably won't be a "working" dog.

Would a cur fit the bill? Other suggestions?

Had a male GSP before and he was WAY too high strung.

Curs are well rounded dogs. Great with the kids, great hunters and in their pure form fairly content to just be a yard dog. Always a good choice.

Mostly just "hunting". Not using the dog for hunting but having her accompany us to the outdoors.

Any big difference between the cur breeds for our simple needs? My wife likes the blackmouth cur coloring.

IMO, Catahoula Curs are great, mine will bay and retrieve, but not much of a fighter, more of a bay dog.
Buddy of mine has several Black Mouth Curs and they all like to fight more than bay. And they are tough. Thats the only 2 Cur breeds ive ever been around.

I like Mountain Curs but I'm probably biased.
Mine goes with me on my little trap line, trees Cat/Coon once in a while, accompanies me on my daily 1/2mi walk to the mailbox, and sleeps on the foot of the bed.

She loves to ride in my buddies boat too but won't swim.
A friend has a younger sister of hers that's a cracker jack decoy dog but doesn't swim either.
Go figure????

great looking dogs.

I had a Tony Tebbe Gunner cur pup..

She loves the water.. course in PHX that isn't really a surprise since it's so hot and the pool is a nice relief from the heat.
Lost the dog in a divorce, no comment on that deal.

I plan to get another as soon as one of my wife's dogs finally kicks off. (blue healer that should weigh 35lbs and tips in at 72, or the Irish jack russle, both are 12 and both are skiddish, lazy, good for nothing, chow hounds that are scared of everything and lack any discipline and crap on my grass.)

I love me some Fry dogs!

Tucker is best photo taking dog Ive ever seen Craig. All my dogs look like I just whipped them. Its like they are in trouble when I try to take a pic. Spot is the worst Ive ever seen.

Originally Posted By: btech29I love me some Fry dogs!

Tucker is best photo taking dog Ive ever seen Craig. All my dogs look like I just whipped them. Its like they are in trouble when I try to take a pic. Spot is the worst Ive ever seen.

You should stop beating her with your camera. LOL

Originally Posted By: DoubleCK

That fat one don't look like much of a hunting dog to me....oh wait....never mind.....

PS.....I had her in for shots the other day....got her down to 53lbs...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coyotejunkiright before I brought her home

my forward observer

Great pix Dan....you should be proud....

Back