A couple of Hard chargers between storms

Seebass

I went out last Saturday and made a few stands. I started early and was on my first stand by 630. I waited about 10 minutes before I started with Vole Squeeks on vol. 30. I went through a few distress calls and at 17 minutes I played female lone howl #1. I immediately got a couple tips and howls back, they were loud but sounded 300+ yards away. I female challenged back then male challenged then coyote growls followed by pup screams.

A coyote came blasting over a ridge to my left 300 yards away!! At full speed she covered the distance to the caller in seconds! I muted the call but there was no stopping this coyote!! It came in knocked over my caller and was gone without changing speed! With a direction change at the caller I was unable to get a shot off! Adrenaline rush!!

My second stand I got set up facing west. I started with Bay Bee Cottontail. At 2 minutes I see a coyote swing to the south 300+ yards away. It was a bit far for the .223 so I let it go. I finished the stand at 21 minutes.

My third stand was blank.

My fourth stand was a repeat of the first but with a twist. I got set up facing NE. Again I started with Bay Bee Cottontail. 10 seconds in I see a coyote top up and skyline itself 250 yards straight in front of me! He stopped and was looking to his right, my left. I looked out that way and see this female blasting in from 6-800 yards out! Nonstop! I muted the call when she got to 150 but there was no stopping her. She was locked on the caller all the way. She bumped the caller AGAIN!! This time turning straight away trotting/bounding. I took the first real opportunity I had and Texas heart shot her at 125 yards!

You can see her and the caller right in front of me!

Here is the panoramic. She came from the tree way out to the left center

Happy Hunting!

Carlos

Its gotta be fun to watch them come in that far and fast. Wouldn't know, they gotta get close in the brush country to be seen. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Thanks everyone. What amazes me calling on such open ranches is how every once in awhile a coyote will still sneak I inside 100 yards before I see them.

Ghost dogs!

Carlos

It has to be a true rush to see them appear and charge that hard, and unfortunately to see the one hit the afterburners to escape.
Your wide open country would be amazing to watch the action in.

Thanks for sharing

As amazing as it may seem, I've killed more called dogs in big country like that with a shotgun loaded with Federal Copper plated BB than I have with a rifle. Those hard chargers especially. Makes for more stuff to pack in, but sometimes it puts more critters on the ground.

Back