Hunting cutovers at night

coolbrze

Got permission to hunt a 500 acre piece but it was all logged ~12-15 years ago & the new growth is 20-25' tall now. Mostly Poplars, Sweetgum, & Maples. There are a few pockets that weren't cut & have mature hardwoods but they range in size from 1/2 acre to 2 acres here & there. How would you hunt this at night w/ red lights or should I just stay away from it & hunt in the day? Most sets I would think the 'yotes would circle downwind & I'd never see them, they'd smell me & leave...

It'd be tough to hunt mostly because of shadows from the light and the cover will provide all kind of room for the coyotes to move in closely undetected.

However, this is kinda similar to what I'm about to have to get into since coyotes in the southeast are extremely shy and hard to get into the open

A couple of bush hogged clear shooting lanes and some type of thermal camera, would do wonders I would imagine

Good luck to you!

+1 what Gunslinger said. You will get a lot of light shadows and reflection from the brush at night. It's difficult to call at night in places like that, and woods in general. I too think Thermal would be the answer to that problem though I haven't used thermal personally. But also, you are looking at a lot of dollars for a scope.

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. Most of my spots have fields that I can set up in except this one so they're easier to hunt at night. May just have to keep hunting this one during the daytime...

Back