fixed power

jacob wiebe

what r your opinions on fixed power scopes for coyote hunting.is there be a single power that would work for coyotes 50-100 yards moving but also would work for a 500 yard coyote?one note is that i do not seem to have as much trouble picking targets up in the scope as some people do but i am not infallible

Last edited:
That's a tough request, from 50 yds moving target to 500 yds. I would maybe go with a 6X but it really wouldn't work at the extremes of your requested distances. Too big for the running shots and not big enough for the 500 yd poke.

In open country a straight 6 works very well from 50-500 yards. I used one for 25 years,mostly shot Red fox, until my late 40's when eye problems required more magnification. I still carry my 4-12 set on 6 power to match my binoculars. However shooting test groups and sniping shots I shoot on 10-12 power.

As said, that's a tough request....In order to use a higher power fixed optic much above 2x on close moving targets, you have to train yourself to shoot with both eyes open,,,,even then you will likely just see a bunch of fur, without definition...Your brain is made for optical sensations to be balanced and throwing them too far off really creates confusion...I have tried using a higher fixed power in some action shooting competitions to give me a little edge on longer distance targets (most targets range from 40-200 yards) and it had just the reverse effect...

You will generally have better success with one of the lower multi-power optics...I use a 2.5-10x on my hunting rifle...and keep it set on the lower power,,,I usually have time to crank it up if distance becomes a factor...

Why a fixed power scope? I've been using scopes for 50+ yrs and even owned a gunshop back in the 1970's, back then I could see a fixed scope in fact I carried fixed scopes for a number of years and my Metallic Silhouette scope was a fixed 10x Lyman, after I put my first variable on hunting rifle(Weaver V-4.5) you could never get me back into a fixed scope other than a high power strictly target scope or extremely low power for a fast handeling close range gun (Weaver K-1.5 ). Variable scopes are so reliable now that the reliability factor of a fixed scope is pretty much a moot point today.

For me called coyotes is pretty much a close range endeavor, even in the wide open spaces most of my coyotes are well under 200 yards. I find FOV is far more useful than X's and when you need the X's a usable hunting fixed scope is usually lacking enough.

A fixed 6x has only a 17' FOV at 100 yards, at 10 yards that's down to about 20", not even enough to get a whole coyote in let alone try and track him coming in( I kill a few coyotes at that range every year). At 500 yards the + of the crosshairs on a BDC reticle cover 25 sq. inches of the coyote.

Just some thoughts on fixed scopes.

One thing about scopes they aren't like a marriage, it isn't very expensive to get rid of the old one and pick up a new one that better suits your needs.

Good Hunting
Waidmannsheil

Last edited:
first of all the fixed power scopes have a lot of advantages if u dont know what they are look it up yourself.i figure 50 and in can be taken care of with the shotgun,and i have trained myself to shoot with both eyes open.in central kansas we are fairly open we do not often have close running shots but when we do its usually not a super quick shot opportunity.

Interesting, I can't think of one advantage of a fixed scope that would gain me one more coyote and a few that would cost me fur.

Please explain the advantages of a fixed scope that would put more fur on the boards than three or four times the FOV on the bottom end and more X's on the top end. Maybe I've been missing something over the years.

fixed power is more durable due to less moving parts so if u bump it,it wont loose zero as soon.the fixed also have better optic clarity,which i have found could very easily translate to more fur.i am not a big knob twister but the fixed have better tracking.you can also liken it to a soldier that has used one sword for a long time and knows it very well and it doesn't matter a lot what length it is he will most likely be very good with it,but if u give him a new variable length one which will extend out do u think that will make him a better swordsman?in a scope u can learn how things look at different ranges and you will get quicker.this doesn't translate into to more fur but fixed are better valued.They are just better quality scopes in general because there is more money going into the quality vs the complexity of the scope.

Again a very interesting look a fixed scopes.

Almost all LEO and Mil. snipers around the world rely on variable power scopes and lives depend on the clarity, ruggedness, tracking and dependability of their scopes. Most Long Range shooting competitors depend on variable scopes. There just isn't enough demand for fixed hunting scopes for companies to put money into R&D for a better fixed scopes and most have been around with little change for at least 10 years.

As far as the fixed verses variable length swords, I have a variable length sword and it has served me well and it is a lot easier to get your jeans back on when you done using it.

Last edited:
Jacob,,,You have apparently made up your mind, regardless what a lot of experienced hunters/shooters have for their opinions...We will just have to agree to disagree...

I can't imagine limiting myself to a fixed power anymore. I can remember when a fixed 10x was a big scope lol. And most people had 4x, a few with 6x scopes.

IMO, a 4-16 is almost perfect for predator hunting out here in the wide open west.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleJacob,,,You have apparently made up your mind, regardless what a lot of experienced hunters/shooters have for their opinions...We will just have to agree to disagree... Was wondering the same thing. Ask for someone's advice then tell them they are wrong. If you know what you want why ask for advice. Go get what you want and enjoy it.

I have two fixed power scopes left in my collection - a 1x red dot on a .22 pistol and a 4x on my tried and true Ruger 10-22 that I've had for about 25 years. If I still shot it as much as I do the .17 HMR that pretty much took it's place, I'd ditch the fixed and get a 3-9 like most of my other rifles wear. That range seems to work well for virtually every real-world hunting situation. 3-9x scopes are so prevalent and so well tested that they, in my opinion and experience, can be counted on to be just as rugged and repeatable as fixed power scopes. I see no practical reason to forego a good solid 3-9 or similar in favor of a fixed power for any of my past, current, or planned hunting.

I only have two fixed scopes left on hunting rifles, both are for still hunting in the spruce marshes and thick forests of WI & MN and calling bear out here in the rainforest. A Weaver K-1.5 on a Savage 99 in 375 Win and drilling in 16 x 16/7x57R. Neither are intended for any work over a hundred yards, just fast on the target. They are still quite accurate.

I do have a couple of old Weaver K-3's that get packed along for a backup, I haven't needed one yet.

Last edited:
Gerry Blair, the author of multiple coyote calling books and a wealth of info used a straight 2.5x on his Sako 22-250. I don't agree with everything he says but I like his ideas on fixed power. They let in more light, are lighter weight, and more rugged than variables. He says in his book "coyote calling" that he thinks they cause the user to take more careful aim. He says, a coyote at 300 yards is a little dog way out there, not the giant mongrel you see in your scope on 24x.

Back