.22 Long Rifle for close work

wolftrapper

Has anyone out there ever tried a .22 semi-auto for those hard chargers that won't stop, and run you over? I know that buckshot is effective for this, but toyed with the idea of an iron sighted, semi-auto, .22. At close range I know it will kill them, with good shot placement, and it would be quick and quiet.....and challenging fun!

My brother killed one with a .22 once but he hit it just right. I've wounded a few with one. There's better options out there. Franklin Armory makes an AR chambered in .17wsm. In a rimfire caliber that's probably the best choice out there for predator huntin.

I think you would spend a lot of time looking for dead ones that still had enough energy to run away (far away?) from your stand, stick with buckshot.

Originally Posted By: jcs271I think you would spend a lot of time looking for dead ones that still had enough energy to run away (far away?) from your stand, stick with buckshot.
I agree, it was what I started out with as a kid. Later as an adult I tried it a couple times with poor results.
I believe in the 400 ft lbs min rule but like more with my choice of bullet.

why not just carry a sling shot, with a pocket full of ball bearings then no one can say that you were over gunned.

a 22 lr has it's place, and it's for those in a trap that need dispatched.

I love the 22 for close work. Had great success with it even out to 100 yards or better. Low power scope or even red dot on a semi-auto is what I use. Nothing can stay on target better when you are putting a volume or lead downrange at a target. Have had many first shot kills and if not have been able to put many follow up shots on target quickly. I use primarily CCI mini mag hollow points. I have never lost a coyote I have hit with this. If not a clean kill have been able to follow up with plenty of rounds to put him down. Nothing beats the control of a 22 with putting a large amount of ammo (if needed) in an area quickly.

My Hunting Partner used a .22LR Semi-Auto a few years ago...put several quick rounds in a big Female Coyote and dropped it just a few yards in front of him.I would suggest going with a .22 WMR Magnum,Savage has the new A22 out now which is a .22 Magnum Semi Automatic that would work really good and they have a A 17 HMR also that would be another step up.

if you want to use up lots of ammo with almost a guarantee of failure, go for it.

i have killed 2 with a 22. one was a one in a million shot with a 22 pistol at 80 yards, dropped in his tracks. the other was with a 10-22 at about 75 yards, it took the whole mag before he laid down.

Like I said, I've never had one get away in these closer quarter uses. I've killed over 30 coyotes doing this. Have decades of experience with the 22. Spent practically every day as a boy with a 22 (nylon 66)in my hands. Have shot birds and clay birds out of the air with a 22. After shooting at running rabbits and ground squirrels a coyote seems pretty easy. Most of the time if you tag one and he starts his spin you can put more into him before he takes flight. I guess if you feel comfortable with it you should be good. I would put the dot or variable low power scope on it though.

Originally Posted By: case-nhI love the 22 for close work. Had great success with it even out to 100 yards or better. Low power scope or even red dot on a semi-auto is what I use. Nothing can stay on target better when you are putting a volume or lead downrange at a target. Have had many first shot kills and if not have been able to put many follow up shots on target quickly. I use primarily CCI mini mag hollow points. I have never lost a coyote I have hit with this. If not a clean kill have been able to follow up with plenty of rounds to put him down. Nothing beats the control of a 22 with putting a large amount of ammo (if needed) in an area quickly.

A 12 gauge 3" No. Four Buck shell fires 41 .24 caliber pellets with each squeeze of the trigger. If there's a need to "put a large amount of ammo in an area quickly."
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: wolftrapperHas anyone out there ever tried a .22 semi-auto for those hard chargers that won't stop, and run you over? I know that buckshot is effective for this, but toyed with the idea of an iron sighted, semi-auto, .22. At close range I know it will kill them, with good shot placement, and it would be quick and quiet.....and challenging fun!
-
NO Coyote going to run away if you take any semi-action .22lr and suck the wind from his airbags .
I have had Never a coyote walk away from a .22 rimfire . most under the 100 yard range and the max. with LRF in 130 yrd range . Not high-Vel. either . All with sub-Vel Match and cheepAss mezkin Aguilla SE.
. Also the Best truck gun going is a .22lr rifle suppressed in the back seat . Also .22lr suppressed sub.-vel. the best for Nighttime/NV around the tight area's and farm animals in the 50 yard range for coyotes, coons ..etc .
.22lr . Plenty of Ft/lb energy at impact to kill unless you are just to intimidated and unskilled .
-
313b1c9a-1c31-4f7f-9cab-485ebc9ed68a_zpsvgj3xxmd.jpg

-
-

geeze. some guys say a .223 center fire wont kill coyotes effectively.

now there are guys claiming a 22 rimfire kills coyotes real good.

i do feel sorry for anybody that does believes half this crap. also glad i been around the block a time or 2 and can separate the pepper from the fly poop.

geeze

Here is a story.

I had a friend that live out in the out in the middle of nowhere. He had horses, mules, cats, dogs on a working horse training ranch.

He of course had a hay barn, and he took every free cat he could get, the coyotes kept eating them up making a heck of a racket at night, horses and mules would go crazy. He wanted to kill coyotes. So, we rigged up a HOME coyote hunting system. We put up three poles in a triangle about 30feet apart. Then put up the light sensors, but used red lights instead of flood lights, coyotes can not not see red. Then put up a signal on one of the lights that would send an alarm to his bed and to his lounge chair. OK, almost ready at that point.

His back door, we put up a piece of plywood, and pained it black. Then cut a 6" circle at the perfect height where he could sit down and shoot off of his bench with the rifle already set up, loaded with cci std velocity 40g solids that were sub sonic.

So, we baited the area within the triangle with sardines packed in oil, the red lights would come on, the alarm would sound, he would walk down, sit down at his benchrest, with the rifle and scope already zero'd at that range. He shot 36 coyotes that Summer. Moral of the story, that was 20 years ago and It was normal for coyotes to run off lung shot with sub sonic solids. They gave out of gas within 75 yards.

hmm, so a 22lr subsonic with solids will put a coyote down reliably within 75 yards, but the three i shot with a 300bo subsonic with 220gr matchkings all went for over a mile before I gave up on the tracking.

i have shot a lot of things with a 22, and it works great on tiny little animals, but on a 35 pound dog, it does not.

can it be done? sure. is it a reliable killer? no. is it a quick killer? no.

last winter i shot a coyote at 15 yards with a 223 555gr vmax. it went over 150 yards at a full run AFTER the bullet turned its lungs to pink jellow, blowing large chunks of them out the exit hole. It ran full speed for at least the 150 yards, and was hit one more time before it went down. They can go a long way without lungs at all, a little 22 hole may or may not kill them.

in the previous post, it fails to mention the number shot that were not found.

Ive shot a few with 22lr and 17hmr because it was what I had in my hand at the moment. With a 22 semi just keep squezing the trigger till they fall. I dont carry a 22 to target coyote.

Tim

Perhaps the difference with the two stories could be baiting vs. calling. Not sure though and just wondering. I do know that over bait a guy can usually take a little more time for a well-placed shot whereas with calling you generally take what you can get, plus the coyote is hyped up from the sound of the call and they are generally more relaxed at a bait site.

The killing effectiveness of the lowly .22 long rifle cartridge is well documented through generations of hunters, but we all know that it has its limitations and can't be used in every situation. I don't doubt Ackleyman's story at all, and I don't think he is suggesting that everyone rush out and purchase a .22 long rifle for coyote hunting either. He is simply relaying factual information for whatever it's worth.

I know of a guy and some of his neighbors many years ago that controlled an exploding deer herd that was depleting their soybeans. They used .22 long rifles and consistently put deer down. Having said that, it doesn't mean that I support or recommend such things, but rather just stating some facts.

Originally Posted By: 6724hmm, so a 22lr subsonic with solids will put a coyote down reliably within 75 yards, but the three i shot with a 300bo subsonic with 220gr matchkings all went for over a mile before I gave up on the tracking.

i have shot a lot of things with a 22, and it works great on tiny little animals, but on a 35 pound dog, it does not.

can it be done? sure. is it a reliable killer? no. is it a quick killer? no.

last winter i shot a coyote at 15 yards with a 223 555gr vmax. it went over 150 yards at a full run AFTER the bullet turned its lungs to pink jellow, blowing large chunks of them out the exit hole. It ran full speed for at least the 150 yards, and was hit one more time before it went down. They can go a long way without lungs at all, a little 22 hole may or may not kill them.

in the previous post, it fails to mention the number shot that were not found.

the point is that they run. There would be a big difference if he had been shooting a 40g CCI mini mag HP. He was trying to keep the noise as quiet as possible and did not want the bullet to go through the coyote, livestock...The shots were 35 yards...

Guess I'll pass at eating at the table of the guy who can separate the fly poop from the pepper. Always intelligent to deny the facts when presented with them and be told your full of crap.

Back