Mostly we're over gunned!

I am a fur hunter- nothing worse than blowing one up, but for the areas I hunt and call, I want flat and fast.

In all reality I will take a few with bigger holes vs missing, letting go one coyote.

For me my 204 with 35 gr berger has been the best fit for me since it came out and between me and my cousin killed 75-150 the last 6 years.

We call a lot under the moonlight, where a critter at 100yds sometimes ends up being 200yds. It tough to judge at night and have shot some thinking they are 200 and pace it off a almost 300. It takes a good bit of yardage error out of the equation.

With my combo the bullet and gun do there job and there is hardy ever an exit if you hit them square. Even fridge its are not to bad for the most part. Killed them from 20-400 and its all the same. The few cats I have killed have been perfect as well. Red fox are for the most part good if you stay well centered but get ugly fast if not.

As far as normal range it varies. Killed 19 one trip early this year and had them on the gun barrel to 300yds. Say they averaged 100yds, but just the last trip killed 9 and 3 fox and all were 150+ and no coming closer.

I work to hard while calling to have a miss because I was 50yds off on yardage. If every coyote was 75yds we wouldn't need the scopes and such most of us use and could iron sight them with a 22 mag.

I have a 17 furball, 243, Tac 20, and sad to say most sit in the closet other than a backup gun, been burnt carrying the fireball more than once.

So as far as being over gunned when coyotes are standing at 100yds and under is somewhat possible, but after that bullet choice and placement are bigger factors.

That being said- I shot nosler and v max from my 204 each for a year and had way more damage, 35 gr bergers are by far the best on fur from what I have seen.

Originally Posted By: HunterLeeI am a fur hunter- nothing worse than blowing one up, but for the areas I hunt and call, I want flat and fast.

In all reality I will take a few with bigger holes vs missing, letting go one coyote.

For me my 204 with 35 gr berger has been the best fit for me since it came out and between me and my cousin killed 75-150 the last 6 years.

We call a lot under the moonlight, where a critter at 100yds sometimes ends up being 200yds. It tough to judge at night and have shot some thinking they are 200 and pace it off a almost 300. It takes a good bit of yardage error out of the equation.

With my combo the bullet and gun do there job and there is hardy ever an exit if you hit them square. Even fridge its are not to bad for the most part. Killed them from 20-400 and its all the same. The few cats I have killed have been perfect as well. Red fox are for the most part good if you stay well centered but get ugly fast if not.

As far as normal range it varies. Killed 19 one trip early this year and had them on the gun barrel to 300yds. Say they averaged 100yds, but just the last trip killed 9 and 3 fox and all were 150+ and no coming closer.

I work to hard while calling to have a miss because I was 50yds off on yardage. If every coyote was 75yds we wouldn't need the scopes and such most of us use and could iron sight them with a 22 mag.

I have a 17 furball, 243, Tac 20, and sad to say most sit in the closet other than a backup gun, been burnt carrying the fireball more than once.

So as far as being over gunned when coyotes are standing at 100yds and under is somewhat possible, but after that bullet choice and placement are bigger factors.

That being said- I shot nosler and v max from my 204 each for a year and had way more damage, 35 gr bergers are by far the best on fur from what I have seen.

I have heard that about Bergers, good info. Thanks.

I have also heard good things about the .204, and have been reading up on it.

For years I used the 17rem in an AR, then I switched to the 223 same platform. I will finish out this season with the 6x45 in an AR. Speed is about right, and I like the energy.

Originally Posted By: SwiftKillFirst off I hunt for fur. I own a .223 and a 220 Swift. The swift is hands down my favorite. A 55 grain vmax at 3950 or 2850 out of the .223 rarely exits at any range. I primarily target Coyotes though. I have turned down shots at Cats as not to damage them or carried a shotgun along. Like Savage says shooting a Swift is special. I know people have the Ackley improved and the others and that's great. Its just fun when a Coyote hangs up thinking its out of range, then SMACK! I say chose whichever gun floats your boat and have fun.
I shoot the 40grain vmax some out of the swift and it's been good on pelt from what I've seen. Around 4200fps and it's like a Lazer out to 350 yards

I don't save fur and I just hunt for sport. I cycle through using 4-5 different guns throughout the year, some cycling based on where I'm intending to go hunt but mostly based on trying to keep my guns the way I'd like to keep my ladies............which is new, exciting and fresh to me. Guess I get bored easily.

Last edited:
Great thread, wolftrapper. I've enjoyed reading all the responses. I'll be starting with a .223 myself, in an AR platform. I think shot placement dictates a lot with any animal, some more so than others. I don't think I'll be over-gunned though.

Back